Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2011, 12:39 AM   #1
Jamie the Kiwi
Jamie the Kiwi began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3G
Can I use the browser to read a saved web-page?

I have a favorite website, and I have the whole thing (several thousand individual pages and articles) saved offline on my laptop. But I'd like to be able to read it on my kindle 3.

If I save the website onto my kindle, surely it must be possible to somehow make the kindle internet browser read that file?

Surely?
Jamie the Kiwi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 01:42 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Welcome to the forum.

I don't know how you would get the Experimental Browser on the kindle to point to a website which is not online.

If you've saved the website as HTML you can (for example) use something like Calibre or Mobipocket creator to convert that into a mobi file which you can then read on the kindle as a normal book.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2011, 03:17 AM   #3
sorin
Connoisseur
sorin began at the beginning.

Device: kindle 3
if you use Chrome Browser you can send a web page to kindle. See chrome.google.com/webstore
sorin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 09:43 AM   #4
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
On the k3, at least, you canNOT point to an internal html page using the

file:\\\

type reference. You can view it if you changes its extension from html (htm) to txt and even the links work. But you cannot change the extension on the kindle, you'd need Explorer over usb to change it.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2011, 02:54 PM   #5
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3 Wi-Fi
If you've downloaded a mirror copy of the website to your computer, you may be able to convert the whole thing into a single MOBI file using Calibre.

I was able to do this with one of my own websites (admittedly a smallish one of ~18 pages) by pointing Calibre at the index.htm file and letting it do the hard work. It kept the internal links and because my original index.htm was a table of contents, navigating from the top is a breeze.

I don't know how well Calibre would work with several thousand pages, though. If there are tables or images as well, it would be even more of a challenge.
chamekke is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-22-2011, 08:40 PM   #6
Jamie the Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by chamekke View Post
If you've downloaded a mirror copy of the website to your computer, you may be able to convert the whole thing into a single MOBI file using Calibre.

I was able to do this with one of my own websites (admittedly a smallish one of ~18 pages) by pointing Calibre at the index.htm file and letting it do the hard work. It kept the internal links and because my original index.htm was a table of contents, navigating from the top is a breeze.

I don't know how well Calibre would work with several thousand pages, though. If there are tables or images as well, it would be even more of a challenge.
Ah, thanks for the advice. I finally tried what you said and converted almost the entire website into mobi format. I ended up with a single ENORMOUS book, 15.5 megabytes long.
ENORMOUS!
But hey, it works.
Thanks for the advice.

Still, I hope one day soonish Amazon will change some software so the browser can read HTML files stored onboard, instead of HTML files just on the internet.
Old 02-23-2011, 12:31 AM   #7
chamekke
Groupie
chamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavenschamekke is a rising star in the heavens

Jamie - glad it worked.

One reason for the huge filesize may be that Calibre includes the full-size images in your MOBI file, rather than replacing them with smaller resampled ones. This means that although each image appears on your Kindle to be stamp-sized, the original is still there; just click on an image and the Kindle will open up the original (huuuge) version of the image. Which is great if you need to zoom in on the pic, but otherwise, it's a bit of a pain because, of course, you get file bloat.

There may well be some way to get around this, but I've only had my Kindle for a month so I'm still very much a newbie in the world of Calibre. If you need to trim the filesize down, you could always post a "help me!" note to the Calibre subforum. Maybe someone will know the trick!
Old 02-23-2011, 04:38 PM   #8
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
You could convert the book to epub, rename to zip and open (or just open the epub with 7zip), then resize the images, rename and re-convert...
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:39 AM   #9
Jamie the Kiwi

Quote:
One reason for the huge filesize may be that Calibre includes the full-size images in your MOBI file...
Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
You could convert...then resize the images, rename and re-convert...
No images, it's just many tens of thousands of pages of text, hence the huge size!
Old 02-25-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
Duiker
Addict
Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.Duiker can even cheer up an android equipped with a defective Genuine Personality Prototype.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I don't suppose using Instapaper would do the trick?
Duiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2011, 02:45 AM   #11
Jamie the Kiwi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duiker View Post
I don't suppose using Instapaper would do the trick?
No, I think instapaper just does the one single page you are looking at. What I want is the whole site with thousands of pages.
My creation of the Mobi file worked, but the result sure was ugly. Usable but ugly.
Old 03-05-2011, 09:50 PM   #12
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Quote:

Can you please explain how you pointed Calibre at the index.htm file?
barium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 12:15 AM   #13
FF2
Wizard
FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FF2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: WiFi Kindle3
I have dragged an index file into Calibre. Find the folder where it's located using Explorer and then drag it into the library. It will then add it and create a zip file, if I recall. Then convert to your preferred format.
FF2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2011, 01:54 AM   #14
chamekke
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by FF2 View Post
I have dragged an index file into Calibre. Find the folder where it's located using Explorer and then drag it into the library. It will then add it and create a zip file, if I recall. Then convert to your preferred format.
That sounds about right, although in my case I used the on-screen menus to do some of those steps.

I have version 0.7.35 - still pretty recent - and the sequence I used was:
  • Select Add books > Add books from a single directory.
  • Browse to the folder in question and select the index.htm file.
  • Calibre adds it to your library and creates a zip file. (This can take a few minutes, depending on the size of the website you're converting.)
  • Highlight the new item on the library list and select Convert books.
  • On the "convert books" screen, edit the metadata etc. as you like. (I didn't tweak the default settings at all for my conversion, just left them as is.)
  • Click OK.
Old 03-17-2011, 11:51 AM   #15
barium
Connoisseur
barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.barium can self-interpret dreams as they happen.

Device: None
Thank you for the detailed instructions. One other option is to create a PDF from the saved website using Adobe Acrobat Pro.
barium is offline   Reply With Quote