Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 04-17-2014, 03:04 PM   #16
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
In a way, for Kindles or any reader without large memory and/or a SD slot, it IS forcing it. With a large library while away from your computer backed up books there is no way without the cloud to get your books onto your kindle. With a larger internal memory or a SD card you can have access to all your books with needing to download them from the cloud. This is a choice made by Amazon to de-emphasize physical storage and push for cloud storage for your devices.
Correction: it only forces those want to have every book ever published at their fingertips (when they're out and about) to move to cloud storage.

The vast majority of users are perfectly capable of stocking their Kindles with a sufficient number of books to tide them over until they get back to their PC-based libraries.

Rather than it being a decision by Amazon to push people toward cloud storage, I simply see it as Amazon recognizing the fact that the bulk of their customers are served very well by the amount of local storage provided. So why make the device more expensive just to cater to the exceptions rather than the rule?
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 03:56 PM   #17
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Correction: it only forces those want to have every book ever published at their fingertips (when they're out and about) to move to cloud storage.

The vast majority of users are perfectly capable of stocking their Kindles with a sufficient number of books to tide them over until they get back to their PC-based libraries.

Rather than it being a decision by Amazon to push people toward cloud storage, I simply see it as Amazon recognizing the fact that the bulk of their customers are served very well by the amount of local storage provided. So why make the device more expensive just to cater to the exceptions rather than the rule?
Because some people would buy them even at a higher price? Because internal storage sometimes/eventually fail and then they would buy a replacement?

By the way DO you know how to move a book from calibre to your Kindle? Calibre can create a much better catalog than Amazon's archive but what I really need is the ability to select a book in that catalog and have it sent to my kindle. If I could do that I wouldn't feel such a need to keep my books with me.

Last edited by crossi; 04-17-2014 at 04:01 PM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-17-2014, 03:59 PM   #18
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
To build the type of fully redundant system with multiple levels of backup that a commercial Cloud provider has would unquestionably cost you hugely more than simply using a commercial Cloud provider in the first place.

The company I work for has, as one of its many offerings, Cloud storage solutions for people (or rather, for companies) who are indeed "serious about Cloud storage". Believe me, the infrastructure doesn't come cheap.
Sure, it's cheaper.
But I didn't say cheaper, just better.
Price isn't the only metric in build vs buy.

The issues listed above were issues of trust.
If you don't trust the provider then doing your own is far better even if more expensive.
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 04:25 PM   #19
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by fjtorres View Post
The issues listed above were issues of trust.
If you don't trust the provider then doing your own is far better even if more expensive.
Trust is the fundamental basis on which the business world operates, and any supplier who was not trustworthy would not stay in business very long. It takes a long time to gain a good reputation, but only an instant to lose it.

Last edited by HarryT; 04-17-2014 at 04:28 PM.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2014, 06:21 PM   #20
fjtorres
Grand Sorcerer
fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.fjtorres ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T100TA,PW2,PRS-T1,KT,FireHD 8.9,K2, PB360,BeBook One,Axim51v,TC1000
Quote:
Trust is the fundamental basis on which the business world operates, and any supplier who was not trustworthy would not stay in business very long. It takes a long time to gain a good reputation, but only an instant to lose it.
The business world works off trust *and* fallbacks.
(Nobody sensible bets the farm totally on somebody else. Murphy loves single points of failure.)

But this particular issue is one of paranoia.
Paranoids pay extra. Willingly.
Entire businesses have been built off paranoia.
(Shrug)
fjtorres is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-18-2014, 02:57 AM   #21
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Because some people would buy them even at a higher price? Because internal storage sometimes/eventually fail and then they would buy a replacement?
And here I thought the whole point is they (we) are the miniscule minority. Very bad policy for Amazon to go to all that effort and cost for everyone's Kinde just to cater to the tiny minority of people.
Quote:
By the way DO you know how to move a book from calibre to your Kindle? Calibre can create a much better catalog than Amazon's archive but what I really need is the ability to select a book in that catalog and have it sent to my kindle. If I could do that I wouldn't feel such a need to keep my books with me.
Um, yes??? calibre has very powerful search features, try i out a little....
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 03:41 AM   #22
rahulsh1986
rahulsh1986 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Fire HDX & iPhone 5
You can build your own cloud storage using free open sourced softwares. That way you are in control of everything.

so you dont have to rely on anyone.
rahulsh1986 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:06 PM   #23
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The cloud storage that Amazon puts your books on is free, and will probably always be free. Plus, who cares if the NSA or someone else knows that I have a copy of Pride and Prejudice, or The Body Farm? Security is a non-issue, as far as I'm concerned. Millions (possibly) of other Amazon customers do, as well. Plus, Amazon is not actually storing individual copies of books for me, just a pointer the their (one and only) copy of the book. Unless, of course, it is a personal document. Again, anything really sensitive, I wouldn't be putting on the cloud, anyway. Like top-secret documents, etc. or anything I didn't want anyone to know that I had. I wouldn't even put it on my Kindle, probably, in that case, since Amazon could "see" anything on there.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 12:18 PM   #24
rollei
Addict
rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rollei ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo
Quote:
Amazon is certainly pushing that by first removing the SD slot from their Kindles, then decreasing the amount of memory in their kindles by more than half. It's like they are trying to force you to use the Cloud.
I would buy other devices over Kindle if the Kindle has less storage or no SD slot.
rollei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:24 PM   #25
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
The Kindle still has plenty of storage, for hundreds of books. How many do you need at one time?
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:29 PM   #26
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Quote:
Originally Posted by susan_cassidy View Post
The Kindle still has plenty of storage, for hundreds of books. How many do you need at one time?
Eleven hundred, to be precise. Well, on average, anyway.
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:41 PM   #27
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Eleven hundred, to be precise. Well, on average, anyway.
Yes, I have close to 1000 books on my PW, and still a couple of hundred MB free.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 01:43 PM   #28
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
"These Kindles go to eleven."
DiapDealer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 04:19 PM   #29
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Yes, I have close to 1000 books on my PW, and still a couple of hundred MB free.
1,000? Wow! My Kindle currently has 14 books on it.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2014, 06:57 PM   #30
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
"These Kindles go to eleven."
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote