Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 04-09-2014, 07:45 AM   #301
EndlessWaves
Zealot
EndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseEndlessWaves juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Kobo Aura HD
I received my cheapy ultra-thin case yesterday, bought from itech-coodio on Amazon UK. Here are my thoughts:

Firstly, I'd echo the quality control issues mentioned by other owners. Mine came with a few pinhead sized spots of dirt on the cover (which cleaned off) and a scratch on the metal bit (which hasn't). The fit is only just good enough, although mine is a little loose rather than a little tight. It is good enough and does hold the reader, but it does creak and shift about some (about the same amount of creaking as the casing of the Aura HD in fact).

Secondly I went for brown and it was a slightly different brown than I was expecting. The Primecases pictures are the closest (on my admittedly uncalibrated screen) but there's less red in it. I'd describe it as a chestnut brown.

Thirdly, I'd like to point out that the bit on the back that looks flat in the images is actually curved inwards slightly.

Usability-wise I bought it for a better grip. Having used it for a few hours it's definitely an improvement but had I been able to try it beforehand I think I'd have gone for case that covered the front surface too. The textured back helps hold the device vertically when reading sitting up but it's still a little hard to grip when tilting it back towards you when laying down - although that may partly also be due to the narrowness of the Aura HD's frame.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mimosavj View Post
So, does anyone actually own a Mulbess Sleepcover? Are they genuine leather (hence the price)?
A quick search does suggest that other 'genuine leather' cases they're selling are being stated by reviewers to be imitation leather. If they're honest other than that then I'd suspect you're paying the extra for the custom branding and potentially a better level of quality control - although I'd be more inclined to go for the Gecko version if you want that.
EndlessWaves is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2014, 11:14 AM   #302
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
I received my cheapy ultra-thin case yesterday, bought from itech-coodio on Amazon UK. Here are my thoughts:

Firstly, I'd echo the quality control issues mentioned by other owners. Mine came with a few pinhead sized spots of dirt on the cover (which cleaned off) and a scratch on the metal bit (which hasn't). The fit is only just good enough, although mine is a little loose rather than a little tight. It is good enough and does hold the reader, but it does creak and shift about some (about the same amount of creaking as the casing of the Aura HD in fact).

Secondly I went for brown and it was a slightly different brown than I was expecting. The Primecases pictures are the closest (on my admittedly uncalibrated screen) but there's less red in it. I'd describe it as a chestnut brown.

Thirdly, I'd like to point out that the bit on the back that looks flat in the images is actually curved inwards slightly.

Usability-wise I bought it for a better grip. Having used it for a few hours it's definitely an improvement but had I been able to try it beforehand I think I'd have gone for case that covered the front surface too. The textured back helps hold the device vertically when reading sitting up but it's still a little hard to grip when tilting it back towards you when laying down - although that may partly also be due to the narrowness of the Aura HD's frame.

A quick search does suggest that other 'genuine leather' cases they're selling are being stated by reviewers to be imitation leather. If they're honest other than that then I'd suspect you're paying the extra for the custom branding and potentially a better level of quality control - although I'd be more inclined to go for the Gecko version if you want that.
I have a similar cheap case from Amazon US coodio since Christmas (the secretary bought it for me) and it hold the reader very well, no crack, shift or anything. if your metal piece is turquoise blue, you have to peal the blue nylon off (the metal bit is actually silver). The sleep magnet worked for the first two months, now it doesn't turn the reader off half the time.

I'm tempted to get the wine color Mulbess since my current cover is in black color which I hate...
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-09-2014, 09:43 PM   #303
mimosavj
Addict
mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mimosavj ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS 650, Nook HD+, Aura HD, Aura H2O v1, Libra 2
This is the reply from Mulbess (from amazon) regarding the Aura HD Genuine Leather Cover:

"Hello,

This cover is made with real leather,
Not PU leather,

Kind Regards
Mulbess"
mimosavj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:25 PM   #304
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
BTW: It appears that one of our distinguished members goes by the name Geek Dad. Here is his in-depth review of the Noreve case we've ogled on this very thread (same color and choice of leather; it has to be him).

Brad Moon ("Geek Dad") Reviews the Noreve Case for the Aura HD

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 04-30-2014 at 01:28 PM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2014, 01:49 PM   #305
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle: Oasis 3, Voyage WiFi; Kobo: Libra 2, Aura One
Quote:
Originally Posted by EndlessWaves View Post
It does apparently have a metal frame though, so it's potentially the only case that could provide more than scratch protection.

Gecko do a version of the cheapy as well, although like the Mulbess it's hard to tell whether there's actually any difference or if you're just paying twice the price for quality control.

I also had another look at gecko cases, the 'protection cover deluxe' is more interesting than I first thought, if you click on a colour then you get pictures in more detail and while it unfortunately doesn't conform to the shape of the back it seems pretty well fitted generally

I was having another look the other day and came across this one:
http://www.amazon.co.uk/DURAGADGET-E...756256&sr=8-38

It's just another wrap-around case with logo cut-out but I don't think this specific design has come up before.

Personally I'm tempted to go for the Skinomi carbon fibre texture skin but it's rather expensive in the UK, not helped by the fact that they're including the screen protector which seems fairly pointless on an eInk screen.

That Duragadget looks like this one from SkinDigital:

http://www.skindigitalstore.com/kobo...-cover-jacket/

I purchased from Skindigital the leather case for my Kobo Mini and I'm extremely (and I do mean 'extremely') satisfied.

On the Noreve: I actually bought two of these for my Kindle 3s I had. This was a special leather case and each one cost almost $100 - but they were the most beautiful cases I've ever seen. They were incredible, and with the best build I've ever encountered.

I'm tempted to buy one for my Aura HD.

Currently, I'm using this Folio case for my Aura HD, a case which is cheap and effective:

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

..but I'll probably be buying the Noreve case, either this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Aura-Trad...reve+kobo+aura

or the brown one with the quilted back, which is available only from Noreve (and not Amazon).

With that said, I wonder my Kobo does not allow for horizontal mode for reading? (Well, that's another thread, I guess.)

Last edited by Dr. Drib; 04-30-2014 at 01:52 PM.
Dr. Drib is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-01-2014, 09:32 AM   #306
Prestidigitweeze
Fledgling Demagogue
Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Prestidigitweeze ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD; Oasis 2; Aura HD; iPad Air; PRS-350; Galaxy S7.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
I'll probably be buying the Noreve case, either this one from Amazon:

http://www.amazon.com/Kobo-Aura-Trad...reve+kobo+aura

or the brown one with the quilted back, which is available only from Noreve (and not Amazon).
Why get the brown quilted one when Noreve offers a myriad of different leather colors, textures and finishes? Since my AHD's already brown, I'm tempted to pick up an understated bluish Noreve in Patine or Ambition with a rougher vintage texture (or possibly a neutral color or dark orange). Still, I can't quite justify the expense for an e-reader that might be replaced suddenly if something even better happens to surface.

Last edited by Prestidigitweeze; 05-01-2014 at 09:37 AM.
Prestidigitweeze is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2014, 11:09 AM   #307
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer
Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Dr. Drib ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Prestidigitweeze View Post
Why get the brown quilted one when Noreve offers a myriad of different leather colors, textures and finishes? Since my AHD's already brown, I'm tempted to pick up an understated bluish Noreve in Patine or Ambition with a rougher vintage texture (or possibly a neutral color or dark orange). Still, I can't quite justify the expense for an e-reader that might be replaced suddenly if something even better happens to surface.

I won't get the brown one, since my Aura HD is black.

Yes, these cases become even more 'expensive' when a newer model Reader comes along that I just MUST have!

Still, I'll probably end up buying one because they complement the elegance of the Aura HD perfectly, in my opinion.
Old 05-01-2014, 06:39 PM   #308
meson1
meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meson1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Espresso Kobo Aura HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Drib View Post
With that said, I wonder my Kobo does not allow for horizontal mode for reading? (Well, that's another thread, I guess.)
The way those Noreve cases work, you need the second hinge in the back to allow you to get your Kobo into and out of the case. So it's not just a landscape mode stand.

Besides, who knows? Kobo could release firmware in the future that includes a landscape mode. They probably won't, but it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility. I won't be holding my breath for that one though.

As for those talking about the price, my justification was that the Noreve cases are not much more than the official Kobo sleepcover cases, but the quality is several orders of magnitude better. Furthermore I felt more comfortable about dropping 50 or 60 GBP for a Noreve case than a cheap case because I knew I'd be getting a top quality piece. That was my reasoning. Yours will undoubtedly be different.

Last edited by meson1; 05-01-2014 at 06:46 PM.
meson1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2014, 09:25 AM   #309
Dr. Drib
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
The way those Noreve cases work, you need the second hinge in the back to allow you to get your Kobo into and out of the case. So it's not just a landscape mode stand.

Besides, who knows? Kobo could release firmware in the future that includes a landscape mode. They probably won't, but it's not completely beyond the realms of possibility. I won't be holding my breath for that one though.

As for those talking about the price, my justification was that the Noreve cases are not much more than the official Kobo sleepcover cases, but the quality is several orders of magnitude better. Furthermore I felt more comfortable about dropping 50 or 60 GBP for a Noreve case than a cheap case because I knew I'd be getting a top quality piece. That was my reasoning. Yours will undoubtedly be different.

Actually, I would have purchased a Noreve case (based upon my previous experience with these excellent cases), but it would have arrived in the U.S. after I had left and returned to Peru. Unfortunately, the additional cost of shipping to Peru would have been prohibitive.

So, in the meantime (and to keep my Aura HD protected), I bought a different case that arrived while I was still in the U.S.

Those Noreve cases are so wonderfully made, that I urge everyone to visit their site and look over what they have to offer - and not just for Kobo products, either.
Old 06-14-2014, 11:49 AM   #310
rayhigh
Zealot
rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rayhigh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Kobo Aura, Kobo Mini, Kobo Glo (wife)
This is beautiful. Now I've got major case lust....

Quote:
Originally Posted by meson1 View Post
Click on the pics to see the big 'uns.

As you can see, the back is angled slightly. It also has a hinge that enables you to stand it up, though obviously only in portrait mode which isn't much use for reading ... unless you're having a lay down.

rayhigh is offline   Reply With Quote