Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader > Sony Reader Dev Corner

Notices

Old 06-10-2008, 11:36 AM   #46
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500/505/700, Kindle, Cybook Gen3, Words Gear
TXT has be in UTF-16/UTF-8 with a BOM for the non-latin characters to be displayed properly.
igorsk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2008, 12:22 PM   #47
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
It works! Perfect! Thank you very much!
(OK, now I have to find a way to convert my whole library. But the important thing is that it works.)
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-16-2008, 07:08 PM   #48
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, Sony PRS-950
Is it possible to replace the English fonts for the Sony using this method? Would it be possible to have both Korean fonts AND a different default English font? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
seajewel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2008, 10:00 AM   #49
lovebeta
Groupie
lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.lovebeta has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Amazon Kindle 2, Amazon Kindle, Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
Is it possible to replace the English fonts for the Sony using this method? Would it be possible to have both Korean fonts AND a different default English font? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Yes. Actually your Korean font should already contain some Latin typeface. If you are not satisfied with Korean font's Latin part, then you need to know how to construct a font by yourself. One tool to do that is FontCreator. However I don't know if you can legally do that or not due. Please check your font's license.
lovebeta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 12:26 PM   #50
seajewel
Fanatic
seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.seajewel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks. I've figured out how to do this and it's wonderful. I love my Sony Reader. And to think, I came THIS CLOSE to getting a Kindle instead.

Edited to ask a couple of questions:

1. Do I need to keep the fontmapper files on the SD reader? i once removed them and noticed my Korean files were all messed up, but I'd also messed with other options so I wasn't sure that was the culprit. I'm guessing it is though.

2. After doing resets and reapplying the Unicode patch and such, and converting my Korean text files to .lrf using Calibre, I notice that pages or lines are missing between each page. I have looked at Korean sites for info and they say either it's because I need to reconvert after applying each new font, or some also say something about corrupted files in the cache, and mention chkdisk. Can someone explain the chkdisk for dummies? I think I go to cmd but dont know how to do anything from thereon forward, how to chkdisk disks (just the Sony Reader drive? or ?) and how to delete from there. Or can I just delete the cache from My Computer?

Any help greatly appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovebeta View Post
Yes. Actually your Korean font should already contain some Latin typeface. If you are not satisfied with Korean font's Latin part, then you need to know how to construct a font by yourself. One tool to do that is FontCreator. However I don't know if you can legally do that or not due. Please check your font's license.

Last edited by seajewel; 06-24-2008 at 12:29 PM.
Advert
Old 06-24-2008, 12:49 PM   #51
soilwork
useR!
soilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enoughsoilwork will become famous soon enough

Device: Onyx Boox Max 2, Kobo Libra H2O, iRiver Story HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by seajewel View Post
1. Do I need to keep the fontmapper files on the SD reader? i once removed them and noticed my Korean files were all messed up, but I'd also messed with other options so I wasn't sure that was the culprit. I'm guessing it is though.
Once the fontmapping is done, you don't have keep the program on the SD.

Quote:
2. After doing resets and reapplying the Unicode patch and such, and converting my Korean text files to .lrf using Calibre, I notice that pages or lines are missing between each page. I have looked at Korean sites for info and they say either it's because I need to reconvert after applying each new font, or some also say something about corrupted files in the cache, and mention chkdisk. Can someone explain the chkdisk for dummies? I think I go to cmd but dont know how to do anything from thereon forward, how to chkdisk disks (just the Sony Reader drive? or ?) and how to delete from there. Or can I just delete the cache from My Computer?
I would make sure whether the file is created correctly in your PC.
First, replace the default fonts in 'C:\Program Files\Sony\Reader\Data\fonts' with the fonts you put in your Sony reader.
Second, open the file you mentioned with Sony 'ebook library' program and see whether the file looks all right.
soilwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2008, 05:14 PM   #52
igorsk
Wizard
igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.igorsk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

If you use eBook Library to transfer files, you have to have exactly the same fonts on PC and the device, otherwise you'll get those weird pagination issues.
Old 06-24-2008, 10:01 PM   #53
seajewel
Fanatic

Thank you both. This is slightly off topic, but it is a question about fonts. When I look at fonts in Font Creator to make one of them ttmwhatever.ttf, I can only choose one file instead of say, Calibri (with Bold + Italics + Bold/Italics, which are all separate files). Does this mean my Sony Reader will get rid of all italics and bolding? How do i get around this problem? Is there a way to construct a font to have all of those? Thank you!

ETA: I'm guessing this is what it means when people say Amazon Kindle has real italics, not algorithmic slanting which is what Sony has.. so I will see italics and bolding, but only in an inferior way?

Last edited by seajewel; 06-24-2008 at 10:27 PM.
Old 06-24-2008, 11:46 PM   #54
seajewel
Fanatic

EDITED: Reset before adding any new files to the device. It was said in the original post, and I'll say it again. It took me a while to really really set my mind that I'll do it every time.. and I do, and everything works beautifully. I do lose my last page, but it is a relatively small price to pay.

I am having this problem.. Any thoughts? I really like Calibre, so this is a bummer. I guess I could reinstall everything each time but it seems like a pain.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guesser View Post
This font hack worked for me. I'm having trouble with calibre after it though.

.. and then after trying it again with a blank SD card inserted, I get a corrupt database error instead (which suggests deleting media.xml, etc.).

After erasing the media.xml and resetting my reader with a soft reset (which apparently killed the font hack, since the Chinese text turned into boxes), it worked fine. Then after re-applying the hack, I get the error. Not sure if it matters, but this is running calibre in Ubuntu 8.04.

Last edited by seajewel; 07-24-2008 at 12:08 PM.
Old 07-06-2008, 03:16 AM   #55
Skittels
Skittels began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505/lc
Russian English fonts?

Is this a way to get russian and english fonts displayed correctly,

What unicode package do i need to use for that?

got a gf who reaaaly wants that...
Skittels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2008, 03:13 AM   #56
yirong
yirong began at the beginning.

Device: Sony prs-505
Thumbs up

It works great! Just remember to save your file as unicode format, you will get it!
yirong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:37 PM   #57
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Does this Unicode Font support without flashing hack still work with the new 1.1.00.18040 version firmware?
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-24-2008, 08:44 PM   #58
igorsk
Wizard

It should.
Old 07-25-2008, 05:52 AM   #59
atesta
Banned
atesta began at the beginning.

Device: TBA
Well, and isn't the unicode support included in the new FW?
I haven't tested it yet, but it isn't mentioned in the new FW feature list .
atesta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2008, 05:58 AM   #60
igorsk
Wizard

Reader supported Unicode from Day 1. However, the fonts included have only characters for Western languages.