Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-03-2008, 12:24 PM   #1
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Has anyone loaded converted .lit on Kindle?

I've been curious what will happen if you load a book that has the DRM stripped if it's a title that Amazon also sells. It seems like it may be a violation of their ToS but that doesn't mean they are tracking or enforcing it. Has anyone done this yet?
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:32 PM   #2
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Yes, bunches. I archive my ebooks in LIT format.

Don't worry about it. That particular part of the ToS is unenforcible in the US. Simply put, they cannot claim to have licensed the Kindle to you when they actually sold you the device. And that's what the ToS is, a license.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 12:34 PM   #3
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

Device: PW2 + HDX 8.9
What file formats does the Kindle do? How does A4 PDF look?

Thanks!
GatorDeb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 12:46 PM   #4
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Thanks, Nate. I do prefer to have my titles DRM-free if I can. I'm hoping if they do any sort of survey of the devices that they realize just how much DRM-free content we're loading. It seems most people I've talked to with Kindles have bought some Amazon titles but have considerably more titles from other places. I've bought 10 titles from Amazon but have over a hundred DRM-free books on my Kindle.
Old 01-03-2008, 01:04 PM   #5
Alisa
Gadget Geek

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatorDeb View Post
What file formats does the Kindle do? How does A4 PDF look?
The Kindle natively supports non-DRM Mobipocket (.mobi, .prc), text files (.txt), and Amazon's own file format (.azw) for reading as well as MP3 and Audible for audio. They will convert Word, PDF and images for you for free. In my experience so far, PDF conversion quality really varies based on the original PDF. If the text was marked for reflowing, then it can come out pretty good. Tables and graphics really vary as to how well they convert.
Advert
Old 01-03-2008, 01:31 PM   #6
GatorDeb
Evangelist
GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!GatorDeb , Klaatu Barada Niktu!

I know there's 2 email addresses, one for .10 and another one for free... anyone have the free one? Also, does the software that adds the Kindle's PID so that the Mobipocket files can be used... does that also take .prc or only .mobi? I ask because my library has PRC files for checking out, and also DE PDF (are there news of making the Kindle accept DE PDF?).

I like to piggyback on threads that are related in order to save forum space with new threads for each question
Old 01-03-2008, 02:16 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek

The $0.10 email is username@kindle.com. The free one is username@free.kindle.com. You get both when you register your Kindle. I'm not sure about the Mobi software, but the Kindle does not currently support DRMed PDFs. I don't know if there's a stand-alone reading device that currently does. IIRC, there isn't. I don't know what Amazon's plans are. I've heard that both Amazon and Adobe may be supporting .epub in the future but it's anyone's guess at this point what will actually happen.
Old 01-03-2008, 04:56 PM   #8
GatorDeb
Evangelist

Thanks!
Old 01-03-2008, 05:11 PM   #9
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
The $0.10 email is username@kindle.com. The free one is username@free.kindle.com. You get both when you register your Kindle. I'm not sure about the Mobi software, but the Kindle does not currently support DRMed PDFs. I don't know if there's a stand-alone reading device that currently does. IIRC, there isn't. I don't know what Amazon's plans are. I've heard that both Amazon and Adobe may be supporting .epub in the future but it's anyone's guess at this point what will actually happen.
Does the free e-mail adress also send the content to your Kindle ? Or is it for conversion only ?

Concerning .epub: the Mobipocket software can already convert epub to Mobipocket, and the Kindle conversion service is very similar to what the Mobipocket software can do. Anyone actually tried sending an epub file to the Kindle conversion service ?
Of course, there's a lot more stuff supported in epub than in OEB (LIT/Mobipocket), like font embedding, CSS, much better table of contents etc... That's part of the reasons why it would be great if Amazon added epub support on the Kindle.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:16 PM   #10
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Does the free e-mail adress also send the content to your Kindle ? Or is it for conversion only ?
The .10 charge is to deliver directly to the Kindle. Conversion is free. Therefore the free service does not sent directly to the Kindle.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:20 PM   #11
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadrien View Post
Concerning .epub: the Mobipocket software can already convert epub to Mobipocket
Is this in the beta 6.2 Windows MobiPocket Reader? The non-beta version did not support .epub last time I tried it.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2008, 05:25 PM   #12
Hadrien
Feedbooks.com Co-Founder
Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.Hadrien understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Sony PRS-t-1/350/300/500/505/600/700, Nexus S, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
Is this in the beta 6.2 Windows MobiPocket Reader? The non-beta version did not support .epub last time I tried it.
I'll have to check which version I'm using. It cannot open epub files, but it can convert them to Mobipocket files.
Hadrien is offline   Reply With Quote