Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 11-20-2011, 12:27 AM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Multi page possible?

Hi,

I have a book that has following files:
- index.htm (main page)
- toc.htm (toc)
- outro.htm (final word)

Then I have folders like this:
- ch01
- ch02
- ch03

In each folder there are few (changing between 1 to 6 or 7) files like this:
- 01-01.htm
- 01-02.htm
- 01-03.htm

for chapter 2 it would look like:
- 02-01.htm
- 02-02.htm
- 02-03.htm
- 02-04.htm
- 02-05.htm

this is the folder structure of my book.

I want to know if in Sigil, I can all import them into one epub, or if it is better to put all html files in one folder, or if Sigil is not able to combine or use external html files (and I need to combine all htmls manually in one chapter file)?
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 09:15 AM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProDigit View Post
Hi,

- index.htm (main page)
- toc.htm (toc)
- outro.htm (final word)

- ch01
- ch02
- ch03

- 01-01.htm
- 01-02.htm
- 01-03.htm

- 02-01.htm
- 02-02.htm
- 02-03.htm
- 02-04.htm
- 02-05.htm

I want to know if in Sigil, I can all import them into one epub, or if it is better to put all html files in one folder, or if Sigil is not able to combine or use external html files (and I need to combine all htmls manually in one chapter file)?
IMHO import the functional Index.html into Calibre and have IT create the starting-point EPUB, then fine tune with Sigil.

Caution: Sigil does terrible (Nuke's) overlapping file names when it flattens nested folder structure (each older file with the same name,will be overwritten, regardless of original folder.).
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 03:09 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

A manual edit it will be then :-)

BTW: For others struggling with this same issue, just copy all htmls in one folder, then in command (old dos prompt) go into the directory and type something like this:

copy *.html combined.html

DOS prompt will just copy and add multiple files into one.

Then it's upto an HTML editor to do some cleanup work.

Last edited by ProDigit; 11-20-2011 at 03:23 PM.
Old 11-20-2011, 04:01 PM   #4
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
A manual edit it will be then :-)

BTW: For others struggling with this same issue, just copy all htmls in one folder, then in command (old dos prompt) go into the directory and type something like this:

copy *.html combined.html

DOS prompt will just copy and add multiple files into one.

Then it's upto an HTML editor to do some cleanup work.
That assumes that 'Copy' even attempts to place the files in order There is Oh so much that can go wrong with this method (Total section scramble).

What is wrong with the (simple) Index.Html and Calibre approach?
Old 11-20-2011, 04:15 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Just to add, appending (stacking) multiple Html files will probably confuse things with multiple Head, Body
Advert
Old 11-20-2011, 08:41 PM   #6
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
Just to add, appending (stacking) multiple Html files will probably confuse things with multiple Head, Body
This is going to be a major issue at some point. Since this is very out of line with the spec strange things will happen with some reading systems.
user_none is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2011, 04:26 AM   #7
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Nothing really.
With Notepad++ it's only a small effort to remove each header/footer, and the search and replace makes it not matter how many chapters or blocks you'll need to edit, wether it be 10 chapters, or 1000, they all get done in a jiffy!

Aside from that there's some cleanup work to do (eg: getting rid of 10 different headings, and getting rid of tables, linespacing, hrefs etc... too.)
Old 12-10-2011, 07:06 AM   #8
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
The order of merging files goes in file name order.
If you call the introduction page and TOC names like 0.html, and 00.html; perhaps foreword 000.html, then the rest of the chapters in their chapter number (eg: 01.html, 02.html .... 99.html), and then make sure the ending (like sources, dictionary, or any other closing text) gets a chapter number higher than the last chapter, assures you the copy command will copy the chapters in their proper order!
Old 12-10-2011, 09:00 AM   #9
theducks
Well trained by Cats

Quote:
The order of merging files goes in file name order.
If you call the introduction page and TOC names like 0.html, and 00.html; perhaps foreword 000.html, then the rest of the chapters in their chapter number (eg: 01.html, 02.html .... 99.html), and then make sure the ending (like sources, dictionary, or any other closing text) gets a chapter number higher than the last chapter, assures you the copy command will copy the chapters in their proper order!
You missed my point entirely. It has nothing to do with the order.

Concatenating HTML files will now have Multiple <HTML> <HEAD><BODY> tags in a single file in violation of the basic HTML rules. Only ONE pair per file.
Old 12-11-2011, 12:33 AM   #10
ProDigit
Karmaniac

Like I said, removing them is very easy with Notepad ++. Just one or two 'search and replace' line, and you've removed all those lines, then add the body and HTML to the top and /body and /html to the bottom!
Old 12-19-2011, 04:08 AM   #11
superanima
W2E & ePub freak
superanima began at the beginning.

Device: cybook gen3 + boox60
Quote:
Hi,

- index.htm (main page)
- toc.htm (toc)
- outro.htm (final word)

- ch01
- ch02
- ch03

- 01-01.htm
- 01-02.htm
- 01-03.htm

- 02-01.htm
- 02-02.htm
- 02-03.htm
- 02-04.htm
- 02-05.htm

Since there are not names overlapping you can put all the files in one folder and import them.
Sigil does not support nested folders in the "Text" folder, so maybe your book will have some internal link broken. I think you can easily fix them with some simple find-replace.

Nested folders would be a nice feature though, I hope they implement it in the future.
superanima is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 12:13 AM   #12
ProDigit
Karmaniac

you could also copy-paste the HTML content into a new HTML, using a WYSYWYG editor.
that way formatting errors will disappear.