Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 09-04-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by jocampo View Post
I wonder how long will take for Amazon to release a color eink device.
I'd think color eInk would have to improve quite a bit before they'd even consider it. The current color saturation isn't great, nor is the resolution (600x800 on a 9.68" screen).
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:22 AM   #17
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Am I reading this correctly - the glass substrate is gone? If so, I'm definitely upgrading!
No. It's available AS a flexible display. That's different to saying that Amazon are USING a flexible display. I very much doubt that they are.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:27 AM   #18
tlaine
Zealot
tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.tlaine understands the importance of being earnest.

Device: Kobo Aura HD, Mini; Kindle PW2
Would someone be able to explain if there are 2 new technologies involved here? 1, carta the film and 2, regal, the wave form. Thanks.
tlaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 11:43 AM   #19
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
Would someone be able to explain if there are 2 new technologies involved here? 1, carta the film and 2, regal, the wave form. Thanks.
Correct.
Old 09-04-2013, 11:59 AM   #20
ProfCrash
Tea Enthusiast
ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProfCrash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX Graphite, K3 3G, IPad 3, PW2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Antoinekamel View Post
her eye?...
Last I checked I gave birth 14 months ago which is definitive proof that I am a woman. And I breast fed.
ProfCrash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 12:21 PM   #21
jswinden
Nameless Being

No doubt eInk technology will continue to get better. My question is whether the lighting technology on the PW2 is any better. I hope so, but I'm extremely skeptical. It looks like they are using the same kind of light layer which will be prone to blobs and shadows.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:35 PM   #22
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by jswinden View Post
No doubt eInk technology will continue to get better. My question is whether the lighting technology on the PW2 is any better. I hope so, but I'm extremely skeptical. It looks like they are using the same kind of light layer which will be prone to blobs and shadows.
Hopefully it's better. The Kobo Aura HD has a nice even light.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:39 PM   #23
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by tlaine View Post
That is correct. Carta is the eInk film and Regal is the wave form technology that supposedly makes complete page refreshes less necessary than before.
Old 09-04-2013, 12:43 PM   #24
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
Hopefully it's better. The Kobo Aura HD has a nice even light.
I wonder if the Kobo Aura HD uses the same kind of light substrate/layer? Too bad it is a Kobo though, that translates into a firmware fiasco! I'll never go with another Kobo again. That was the suckiest FW I've ever seen, and the harder they tried to correct it the worse it got. Maybe if Amazon bought Kobo they could use the Kobo engineers to design better hardware and use Kindle engineers to design the FW. Might be a good match!
Old 09-04-2013, 12:57 PM   #25
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

The Kobo does use some kind of light guide layer, but I don't know if it's exactly the same. I know what you mean about the Kobo firmware. If I could run Amazon's firmware on the Aura HD it'd be a lot better for me.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:10 PM   #26
doctorow
Guru
doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doctorow ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
If I was one of the companies compating against the Kindle Paperwhite, I'd be hopping mad.

It looks as if Amazon had exclusive access to Carta, the latest version of E Ink e-paper. Why else would everyone else, like Sony or Kobo, go with the older Pearl technology for their upcoming E Ink readers?
doctorow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:19 PM   #27
AnemicOak
Bookaholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post
If I was one of the companies compating against the Kindle Paperwhite, I'd be hopping mad.

It looks as if Amazon had exclusive access to Carta, the latest version of E Ink e-paper. Why else would everyone else, like Sony or Kobo, go with the older Pearl technology for their upcoming E Ink readers?
Likely their exclusivity is due to them buying the entire first run of screens with that tech and probably only lasts until eInk gets higher production capacity up and running. Didn't someone do that when Pearl came out (Sony?) or maybe it was when regular Viziplex came out.
Old 09-04-2013, 01:21 PM   #28
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by ProfCrash View Post
Last I checked I gave birth 14 months ago which is definitive proof that I am a woman. And I breast fed.
(belated) Congratulations. Boy or girl?
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #29
ottdmk
Wizard
ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ottdmk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Lenovo Tab M10 FHD Plus, Lenovo Tab M8 HD
Good point. Michael Serbinis, Kobo CEO, told CNet that Carta wasn't ready for mass production.

Still though, Carta isn't a make-or-break for me, or, likely, for Kobo. More important, I think, is Regal, and from Kobo's marketing for the new Aura it looks like the Aura has Regal.
ottdmk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2013, 01:26 PM   #30
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by doctorow View Post

That's just business. Money talks, as they say. I'm sure Amazon made eInk a great offer to get exclusivity of Carta. In the USA, AT&T cut a deal with Apple wherein they had the only iPhone service plans when they were originally released. That pi$$ed off a lot of people who had 2-year contracts with other carriers! As for the other carriers, they should have bid higher.

EDIT: I'm sure it helped that Amazon is the biggest buyer of eInk screens. I suspect Amazon buys more screens than all the other manufacturers combined.

Last edited by jswinden; 09-04-2013 at 01:29 PM.