Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 06-07-2012, 09:42 PM   #1
user_none
Sigil & calibre developer
user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.user_none ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR
0.5.901 (0.6.0 beta) avaliable

Beta builds for 0.6.0 (currently 0.5.901) have been put up. I'm not going to do a full release announcement for betas but they're are a large number of changes.

If you do want to do some betaing one thing to note is the preferences file has moved to a new location and upon first run you will not have any of your previous settings. Dictionaries have also moved.

Meme has also completly rewritten the user guide. I suggest reading it to become familiar with the changes as it covers them pretty well. Also, it needs some eyes looking at it too.

Last edited by user_none; 06-07-2012 at 09:45 PM.
Old 06-08-2012, 01:33 AM   #2
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, K4 NT, K3, Kobo Touch
Sigil User Guide beta

As user_none mentioned the Sigil User Guide is completely new. The EPUB and Mobi versions of the beta guide are attached to this post to go along with the HTML version.

In fact, I wrote the guide using Sigil. It made sense that an EPUB editor should have an EPUB book for a manual, and it was a great way to test out 0.6.0, learn Sigil from a user perspective, and learn about writing/editing a book. While fun, I wouldn't recommend writing and editing at the same time, especially about software that's changing as you write and where you're one of those changing it.

So in addition to trying to crash the beta or ask about why the code does this and not that, I'd appreciate it if you can comment on the User Guide. In particular if anything is not correct/doesn't match what the code does, but also if anything is missing or isn't clear, or if there's a spelling or typo (this is MobileRead after all). And since this is also an example EPUB book feel free to look at the HTML code and CSS and let me know if anything should be changed or might work better one way instead of another. PM me directly if you don't want to post.

Oh, and the complete list of changes is in the Changelog as usual. There are still a few open items that'll be worked on during the beta that we didn't get into this first release - in particular remembering cursor position in the new Book View, and displaying SVG files in Book View - they work fine in Preview.

Dave
Attached Files
File Type: epub Sigil_User_Guide_0_6_0.epub (5.24 MB, 682 views)
File Type: mobi Sigil_User_Guide_0_6_0.mobi (4.90 MB, 247 views)

Last edited by meme; 06-08-2012 at 02:07 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 02:08 AM   #3
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Thanks
Old 06-08-2012, 02:50 AM   #4
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-T1, Kobo Touch, Kobo Aura
Great, will check this weekend!
Old 06-08-2012, 02:55 AM   #5
roger64
Wizard
roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.roger64 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW3 (wifi)
Thanks. Very keen to look at it.

While waiting to download the Linux version after the end of the beta phase (?).
In the meantime, I performed a quick style occurrence study, just for the fun of it:

Spoiler:

Code:
roger@lmde64 ~/Bureau/Sigil user guide/OEBPS/Text $ pcregrep -o -h 'class=".+?"' * >fic_tmp.$$
roger@lmde64 ~/Bureau/Sigil user guide/OEBPS/Text $ for i in $(sort -u fic_tmp.$$); do echo "$i $(grep -rc $i fic_tmp.$$)"; done | sort -t ' ' -k2 -nr
class="example" 208
class="listheading" 164
sigilNotInTOC" 162
class="sigilNotInTOC" 160
class="tiptext" 123
class="tipheader" 98
class="tip" 97
class="image" 85
class="menuitem" 74
class="h2subheading" 23
class="button" 23
class="first" 22
class="indent" 16
class="toolbar" 15
class="reference 15
class="reference 15
external" 13
class="shortcut" 9
class="simple" 8
class="heading 8
class="heading" 6
class="h1subheading" 5
class="dropcap" 3
internal" 2
class="version" 1
class="title" 1
class="superscript" 1
class="subscript" 1
class="rights" 1
class="logo" 1
class="coverimage" 1
class="boldtext" 1
class="author" 1
roger@lmde64 ~/Bureau/Sigil user guide/OEBPS/Text $

Master work!

Last edited by roger64; 06-08-2012 at 03:51 AM. Reason: spoiler
Old 06-08-2012, 03:03 AM   #6
Toxaris
Wizard
Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Toxaris ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Ohoh... I hope that Wolfie does not read this:
Quote:
Implement issue 759: Auto generate inline TOC HTML file.
Old 06-08-2012, 04:33 AM   #7
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
First impressions

Everything looks relatively normal, so I loaded one of my latest epubs:

- The bookview doesn't display my frontpage (probably because the image is embedded in SVG-tags - not valid xhtml, I admit, but afaik perfectly valid in an epub, and neither FlightCrew nor epub-checker protests against it.

Sample of my code:
<body style="margin:0; padding: 0; border-width: 0;">
<h1 class="frontpage" id="heading_id_2">Forside</h1>

<div class="svg_outer">
<div class="svg_inner">
<svg xmlns="http://www.w3.org/2000/svg" height="100%" preserveAspectRatio="xMidYMid meet" version="1.1" viewBox="0 0 600 800" width="100%" xmlns:xlink="http://www.w3.org/1999/xlink">
<image height="800" width="600" xlink:href="../Images/pusjkin-spader_dame.jpg"/>
</svg>
</div>
</div>
</body>

- Not sure I like the new Preview-View - it crowds my screen, and generally strikes me as "shooting sparrows with a canon" - much too much for the relatively simple html-coding needed in an epub.

- Tried to generate an inline toc, the ran a FlightCrew validation, with result on toc.html:

"Element 'ol' is not allowed for content model '(li+)'

The code generated by the inline-toc-generator:

<?xml version="1.0"?>

<!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.1//EN"
"http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml11/DTD/xhtml11.dtd">
<html xmlns="http://www.w3.org/1999/xhtml"><head><title>Table of Contents</title><style type="text/css"> p.sgc-toc-title { text-align:center; }
ol { list-style-type: none; }
li { margin-top: 0em; }
a { font-weight: normal; }
</style></head><body><p class="sgc-toc-title">Table of Contents</p><ol class="sgc-toc-ol-1"><li class="sgc-toc-li-1"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-1" href="../Text/Cover.html">Forside</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-1"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-1" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml">Spader-Dame</a></li><ol class="sgc-toc-ol-2"><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_3">I</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_4">II</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_5">III</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_6">IV</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_7">V</a></li><li class="sgc-toc-li-2"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-2" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_8">VI</a></li></ol><li class="sgc-toc-li-1"><a class="sgc-toc-heading-1" href="../Text/Section0001.xhtml#heading_id_9">Om &quot;Spader Dame&quot;</a></li></ol></body></html>
Regards,

Kim
Old 06-08-2012, 05:28 AM   #8
jbacelar
Interested in the matter
jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jbacelar ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook InkPad 3
Problem with user dictionaries

The same problem as in the previous version.
Then I reported:

1-Sigil 0.5.3 ravage the user_dict.txt in words with accent (spanish).

2-Now I know what the problem with user_dict.txt
I open Sigil 0.5.3: Edit, Preferences, and I close this window .... and voila! the user_dict.txt is now encoded UTF-8 without BOM.
Old 06-08-2012, 07:30 AM   #9
meme
Sigil developer
meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.meme ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

While waiting to download the Linux version after the end of the beta phase (?).
I expect it will get packaged it once its released. I may give it a try if I get the chance - all my development/testing is on Ubuntu 12.04. In the meantime try downloading the 32bit Windows version and running it in the latest Wine - it seems to work fine, though no guarantees. (This isn't the expected way to run it on Linux - the packages should be the main version when they arrive - but its good enough to let you test).

Quote:
Originally Posted by roger64 View Post

In the meantime, I performed a quick style occurrence study, just for the fun of it:
Thanks - I see it pointed out a couple of classes I missed changing. Certainly a useful check, so hopefully I can get something like it in a future version.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elibrarian View Post
- The bookview doesn't display my frontpage (probably because the image is embedded in SVG-tags - not valid xhtml, I admit, but afaik perfectly valid in an epub, and neither FlightCrew nor epub-checker protests against it.
That's because SVG doesn't display right in Book View at the moment.

Quote:

- Not sure I like the new Preview-View - it crowds my screen, and generally strikes me as "shooting sparrows with a canon" - much too much for the relatively simple html-coding needed in an epub.
Try moving the split bar - you can pretty much close it and not worry about the Inspector area. The inspector is a bit over the top for EPUB, but its built-in already and its useful to make test changes to styles to see the effect immediately.

Quote:

- Tried to generate an inline toc, the ran a FlightCrew validation, with result on toc.html:

"Element 'ol' is not allowed for content model '(li+)'
I pasted your code into Sigil and ran FlightCrew and it didn't show any issues. I generate and validate the TOC a few times and its not caused an issue. I wonder if there is some difference between platforms?

I may tweak the code a little bit to reduce the classes used. Unfortunately one of the original reasons for putting it in was to allow Kindlegen to use it. And it works - except that mobi doesn't support list styles so all the chapter names will get numbers in front of them... Since I don't want to recode just for the Kindle (the format of the TOC is close to EPUB3), the alternative is just to use calibre to convert and create the toc that way, or handle edit it to convert the list entries to paragraphs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toxaris View Post
Ohoh... I hope that Wolfie does not read this:

Quote:
Originally Posted by jbacelar View Post
1-Sigil 0.5.3 ravage the user_dict.txt in words with accent (spanish).
2-Now I know what the problem with user_dict.txt
I open Sigil 0.5.3: Edit, Preferences, and I close this window .... and voila! the user_dict.txt is now encoded UTF-8 without BOM.
Its still listed in the issue log as unfixed. It will get looked at eventually to see if anything can be done, though I recall something about using UTF-8 for portability reasons.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:11 AM   #10
DiapDealer
Grand Sorcerer
DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DiapDealer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Kindle Fire HD
Builds/installs fairly painlessly on Oneiric 64-bit.

I'm excited for some of the changes/features I see:
Finer-grained control over Tidy
The ability to quickly link stylesheets
Quickly build an inline TOC from headings (although I personally don't care to use html lists for this, it will still be useful to get the bulk of the heavy-lifting done quickly... and regex can always take care of the personalizing).

Can't wait to play a bit more.

EDIT: A quick note on the Build In-line Toc feature. I don't know if this is expected behavior or not, but when I use it on an epub that has an existing toc.xhtml file, the newly generated code replaces the existing code in that file. Not very surprising, really. What is a bit surprising is that there's no visual indication (asterisk in the title-bar) that the ePub has any unsaved changes afterward... and when Sigil is closed, there is no prompt/warning to save/discard the changes (which are, in fact, gone when you reopen the ePub).

Last edited by DiapDealer; 06-08-2012 at 08:42 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:14 AM   #11
Toxaris
Wizard

Quote:
Actually, it is valid XHTML and supported in ePUB2 according to the specs. No problems there. It does work with 0.5.3, so I am a little surprised it doesn't work anymore in 0.5.9.

Last edited by Toxaris; 06-08-2012 at 10:30 AM.
Old 06-08-2012, 08:37 AM   #12
mmat1
Berti
mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mmat1 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Acer Lumiread
Thanks

The new tidy options are well done
Old 06-08-2012, 08:50 AM   #13
elibrarian
Imperfect Perfectionist
elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elibrarian ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by meme View Post
I pasted your code into Sigil and ran FlightCrew and it didn't show any issues. I generate and validate the TOC a few times and its not caused an issue. I wonder if there is some difference between platforms?
Don't know either, I am running Windows 7 64 bit?

Edit: Made some more inline TOCs on some of my other books - no problems any more, so probably just bad luck with the first one!

Quote:
Actually, it is valid XHTML and supported in ePUB2 according to the specs. No problems there. It does work with 0.5.3, so I am a little surprised it doesn't work anymore in 0.5.9.
Hm, the W3C markup validator doesn't like it, when I run my original singlefile xhtml through it (in my experience). - But by now I know, that when there are 11 errors in the validator, then the file is OK

Tried to google CKEditor + SVG, but didn't come up with anything useful.

regards,

Kim

Last edited by elibrarian; 06-08-2012 at 09:05 AM. Reason: Update
Old 06-08-2012, 10:25 AM   #14
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
901 on XP SP3

2 items (bugs?)

1) I updated the CSS
margin-top: to .5em; (from 0

Bookview would not show the change. I exited and reloaded (after checking in the stable version) and it now showed the change.

2) Sigil is now not remembering the Main Window position between uses. (I run multi-head with the main editing done on Portrait oriented, Monitor 3 and detached Bookbrowser and TOC on Monitor 2. MR is on Monitor 1 ) The detached windows are where I left them.
Old 06-08-2012, 12:18 PM   #15
meme
Sigil developer

Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Quickly build an inline TOC from headings (although I personally don't care to use html lists for this, it will still be useful to get the bulk of the heavy-lifting done quickly... and regex can always take care of the personalizing).

EDIT: A quick note on the Build In-line Toc feature. I don't know if this is expected behavior or not, but when I use it on an epub that has an existing toc.xhtml file, the newly generated code replaces the existing code in that file. Not very surprising, really. What is a bit surprising is that there's no visual indication (asterisk in the title-bar) that the ePub has any unsaved changes afterward... and when Sigil is closed, there is no prompt/warning to save/discard the changes (which are, in fact, gone when you reopen the ePub).
The Generate Inline TOC will overwrite any file that has a guide semantic of TOC, and if none are found it will create a toc.html file and mark it as TOC.

The lack of the save warning is an issue and I can duplicate it - thanks, we'll look into correcting this (and the same issue with Link Stylesheets).

As for lists - what do you use, just indented paragraphs? (I assume that's what calibre uses when converting). I'm open to changing the format of the file (and even changing it to toc.xhtml) - this was just a first version to get feedback.

And while testing out a replace of the li items in the TOC it seems I found a bug with Replace All in Current File that crept in sometime, and will be fixed for the next beta release (Replace and Replace All in HTML files seems ok).

Quote:
Book View is a completely different editor now. It 'should' work as it is, but isn't and is still being looked at.

Quote:
Originally Posted by theducks View Post
1) I updated the CSS
margin-top: to .5em; (from 0
Bookview would not show the change. I exited and reloaded (after checking in the stable version) and it now showed the change.

2) Sigil is now not remembering the Main Window position between uses. (I run multi-head with the main editing done on Portrait oriented, Monitor 3 and detached Bookbrowser and TOC on Monitor 2. MR is on Monitor 1 ) The detached windows are where I left them.
1) Known issue - you have to exit Sigil and reload to get it to re-read the CSS changes. Not sure if this will be fixed for 0.6.0

2) Seems ok on Linux but needs checking on Windows

Keep them coming
Closed Thread