Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 03-12-2013, 04:31 AM   #181
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Touch, Glo, Clara HD
Okay fourth test done. Sleeping from the home screen instead of from a book made no difference at all. I got 92.3 hours (3.8 days) of battery life. This time I did some reading as well: 4h52m of reading in total, with no battery drain during reading whatsoever. Battery drain occurred only during sleep, and then a little after waking up the Glo (either still on the home screen or in the book). One difference: the batter seemed to go all the way down to 11% instead of drop from around 42%. But then, I did some reading and it was day time instead of the 43->0% drop during the night, so it might have done that all along.

Code:
7 Mar 2013 21:38	100%	home screen, sleep	
8 Mar 2013 09:34	100%	on, sleep                      	11h 56m
8 Mar 2013 22:19	78%	on, left on home screen       	12h 45m
8 Mar 2013 22:30	68%	to epub, reading+light	        0h 11m
8 Mar 2013 23:17	68%	to home screen, sleep	        0h 47m
9 Mar 2013 09:36	68%	on, sleep                     	10h 19m
9 Mar 2013 11:26	66%	on, open book	                1h 50m
9 Mar 2013 11:27	63%	reading + light            	0h 1m
9 Mar 2013 11:50	63%	home screen, sleep      	0h 23m
9 Mar 2013 21:23	59%	on, open book             	9h 33m
9 Mar 2013 21:24	56%	reading + light            	0h 1m
9 Mar 2013 22:13	56%	home screen, sleep            	0h 49m
10 Mar 2013 11:19	56%	on, sleep                    	13h 6m
10 Mar 2013 18:54	47%	on, sleep                    	7h 35m
10 Mar 2013 20:30	43%	on, reading+light         	1h 36m
10 Mar 2013 22:37	43%	home screen               	2h 7m
10 Mar 2013 22:38	42%	sleep                         	0h 1m
11 Mar 2013 09:43	42%	on                           	11h 5m
11 Mar 2013 16:15	20%	on                             	6h 32m
11 Mar 2013 16:15	17%	open book                    	0h 0m
11 Mar 2013 16:15	13%	reading + light            	0h 0m
11 Mar 2013 17:01	11%	home screen, sleep       	0h 46m
11 Mar 2013 17:55	0%	nothing                       	0h 54m
Mrs_Often is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2013, 09:15 AM   #182
Shai-Hulud
Silicon Book Worm
Shai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud ofShai-Hulud has much to be proud of

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs_Often View Post
Okay fourth test done. Sleeping from the home screen instead of from a book made no difference at all. I got 92.3 hours (3.8 days) of battery life.
Have you had any further word or thoughts from Kobo?
Shai-Hulud is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 02:07 AM   #183
TechniSol
GranPohbah-Fezzes r cool!
TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TechniSol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STRs, Kobo Touch, Kobo Glo
I'm 18 full days in since charging, 34 hours of reading on lowest lighting level, and at 43%...

Again, I've seen a larger jump in % number for a relatively small reading interval, but I think it may be due to pulling up the Table of Contents display once or twice and jumping past an article or story I'd already read. It seems odd such a seemingly minor function would drop the percentage that much, but in this case at least the reader is having to jump through a LARGE book, so maybe that has an effect if it has to load and index or search through a very large ebook.

Last edited by TechniSol; 03-13-2013 at 02:11 AM.
TechniSol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 07:45 AM   #184
Tintin
Enthusiast
Tintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura aboutTintin has a spectacular aura about

Device: Kobo Glo
I have always found that my Touch, and now my Glo have never lasted more that say three or four days on one charge. It has never really bothered me that much because it is much much better than an LCD reader!
Someone once stated on another forum that a "dodgy" sideloaded file could affect battery life.
Can someone tell me why this should be? Most of my files are sideloaded!
Tintin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:45 AM   #185
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
The effect of a "dodgy" book is what started this thread. But, the results are inconclusive. VelvetElvis and Mrs_Often have books that seem to cause problems. I tried both on my Glo and had no battery issues. They tried a clean book that I supplied on their Glos and saw the same battery drain as with their books.

From what I have seen here, it won't surprise me to much if there is something about particular epubs that cause unusual battery drain. But, I can't see what it is and I suspect it is going to be in combination with something else.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-13-2013, 06:26 PM   #186
Mrs_Often
Wizard
Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mrs_Often ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shai-Hulud View Post
Have you had any further word or thoughts from Kobo?
Yes. They have not found the culprit yet, but are still actively looking for the problem. Kobo have now offered to replace VelvetElvis' and my Glos [again], free of charge with pre-paid return envelope so that they can receive our actual defective devices (without resetting them first) and see what's happening.

I've offered to send an image of the internal SD card, but would still like to try a new device as well (also to have the chance to receive a Glo with the softer yellow LEDs as apposed to the harsh blue ones).
Old 03-13-2013, 06:33 PM   #187
Willa
Davidfor's friend 😊
Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Willa ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libra 2
Quote:
Yes. They have not found the culprit yet, but are still actively looking for the problem. Kobo have now offered to replace VelvetElvis' and my Glos [again], free of charge with pre-paid return envelope so that they can receive our actual defective devices (without resetting them first) and see what's happening.
Willa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 08:49 PM   #188
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:

I've offered to send an image of the internal SD card, but would still like to try a new device as well (also to have the chance to receive a Glo with the softer yellow LEDs as apposed to the harsh blue ones).
That's good service and shows they are interested in solving the problem. I wonder if you will get the cake this time? Or do you just want another bottle of Oz plonk?
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2013, 11:43 PM   #189
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Libre 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
The effect of a "dodgy" book is what started this thread. But, the results are inconclusive. VelvetElvis and Mrs_Often have books that seem to cause problems. I tried both on my Glo and had no battery issues. They tried a clean book that I supplied on their Glos and saw the same battery drain as with their books.

From what I have seen here, it won't surprise me to much if there is something about particular epubs that cause unusual battery drain. But, I can't see what it is and I suspect it is going to be in combination with something else.
I am mostly on the other side of the fence. Nothing I have seen/read so far has made me think that any correlation of battery drain to a particular book is anything more than coincidence. Any bug in the software related to the data in a book would have shown up in the examples you mention in your first paragraph - and it doesn't. In fact your example pretty much eliminates books as the cause.

Neither can I see see/imagine what mechanism might cause it. Books are data, and unless they are actively being processed, they just sit in memory having very little effect on battery drain. (should I add IMO YMMV etc etc )
jusmee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 12:23 AM   #190
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by jusmee View Post
Neither can I see see/imagine what mechanism might cause it. Books are data, and unless they are actively being processed, they just sit in memory having very little effect on battery drain. (should I add IMO YMMV etc etc )
Yes, books are just data, but I think the thinking was that if the book was poorly formatted then the Kobo might have trouble processing it and may even get itself caught in a loop which might use lots of processing power and thus battery.
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 02:34 AM   #191
rcjoop
rcjoop began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo glo
Battery problems again

Having problems as well.
Glo with 300 books almost all side loaded epub, software 2.40. Gone through three charge cycles. Use Calibre to put books on the device.
During the first block reading Irving Hotel NH for 2.2 hours, rest of the time just wake up so now and then to check the numbers. Sleeping not on the home screen but on the reading book screen.
11 mar 12.00 100%
11 mar 24.00 90% 2.2 h reading rest sleep
12 mar 07.00 70
14.00 61
16.00 57
20.00 49
24.00 47
13 mar 07.00 45%
15.00 35
17.00 12
17.30 8%
13 mar 17.40 screen "please charge..."

So 2 days 6 hours

I am not interested in peeking in the database, nor how to manage 1000 shelves, look in the log files or manipulate some pixels on the fonts. I just want to read books and not having to charge it just as often as my el cheapo Chinese 7” tablet.

It seems I wasted USD 180 on this device, will just wait some more to see if this will be solved as Amazon does not ship to the country I live in and it is clumsy and expensive to get it.
If the paperwhite would have been available here in the shops I would not have bothered to complain.
rcjoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:17 AM   #192
jusmee
Wizard
jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jusmee ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
Yes, books are just data, but I think the thinking was that if the book was poorly formatted then the Kobo might have trouble processing it and may even get itself caught in a loop which might use lots of processing power and thus battery.
Then it would not be able to enter sleep mode. The processor cannot be in a loop during sleep mode (nor turned off for that matter).

Anyway, more tellingly, if what you proposed was the case, then, when the suspect book was tried on another unit with the same firmware, it would exhibit the same behaviour - and it doesn't. The reverse, has also been demonstrated - known good books cause bad battery life on "suspect" readers.

There has been a lot of confusion also, and I see people assuming reliability and more importantly, linearity, when taking battery readings, when actually, battery meters are notoriously the opposite. It's hard to weed out the chaff from the grain, but the truth is in there somewhere .
Old 03-14-2013, 03:43 AM   #193
moffattm
Addict
moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.moffattm ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Glo
Quote:
Then it would not be able to enter sleep mode. The processor cannot be in a loop during sleep mode (nor turned off for that matter).

Anyway, more tellingly, if what you proposed was the case, then, when the suspect book was tried on another unit with the same firmware, it would exhibit the same behaviour - and it doesn't. The reverse, has also been demonstrated - known good books cause bad battery life on "suspect" readers.
I'm not proposing anything, I'm just saying what the original thinking was behind suspect books causing problems. After testing of various books on good and bad readers it was found that this idea doesn't really hold water. Personally I don't think anyone here is likely to discover exactly what the problem is, we'll have to wait for Kobo to track it down.

Last edited by moffattm; 03-14-2013 at 03:44 AM. Reason: spelling
moffattm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2013, 03:44 AM   #194
jusmee
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by moffattm View Post
I'm not proposing anything, I'm just saying what the original thinking was behind suspect books causing problems. After testing of various books on good and bad readers it was found that this idea doesn't really hold water. Personally I don't think anyone here is likely to discover exactly what the problem is, we'll have to wait for Kobo to track it down.
I agree with that!
Old 03-14-2013, 03:51 AM   #195
Mrs_Often
Wizard

Quote:
That's good service and shows they are interested in solving the problem.
Indeed!

Quote:
I wonder if you will get the cake this time? Or do you just want another bottle of Oz plonk?
Yes please That Shiraz was deliscrumptious!

Quote:
I am mostly on the other side of the fence. Nothing I have seen/read so far has made me think that any correlation of battery drain to a particular book is anything more than coincidence. Any bug in the software related to the data in a book would have shown up in the examples you mention in your first paragraph - and it doesn't. In fact your example pretty much eliminates books as the cause.

I agree entirely. In fact, the battery draining also occurs when I sleep my Glo from the home screen, where no book at all is in memory.

Quote:
Hah. Maybe it isn't entering sleep mode...? Unrelated to the book though, as the draining occurs also from sleeping from the home screen. But, maybe for some reason the problem devices are giving us the sleep screen, but actually are not sleeping? Hmmm interesting. I'd have to test battery drainage when leaving the device on aaaaalll night. (Poor thing.)

I can't remember if we've covered this*... Are any of you with problem batteries using a cover or sleeve that touches the screen during sleep? And any of you without problems and without a cover or a cover/sleeve that definitely keeps clear of the screen, or vice versa...? I have a cover/sleeve kind of thing with soft *everything* and I suspect it touches the screen. So perhaps the sensors aren't completely inactivated and keep wanting to report screen touches?

*No pun intended...

Last edited by Mrs_Often; 03-14-2013 at 03:53 AM.