Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 12-23-2011, 09:54 PM   #61
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
No, that is NOT happening. They can only nose around the books that are on their server. We had a huge discussion about this in the beta group as well. If you remember, there have been folks on MR who have wanted to have non-kobo purchased books available for syncing and management through the desktop app. The privacy laws in Canada would make this kind of thing very expensive for Kobo in terms of fines/legal action if they were messing around in this way without the explicit permission of individual users.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 10:00 PM   #62
m_bisson
Groupie
m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.m_bisson knows what's going on.

Device: kobo touch :)
Ahh sorry if it's been mentioned before. I haven't been on here much lately.
m_bisson is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 10:03 PM   #63
taming
Trying for calm & polite
taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.taming ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kobo original, WiFI, Touch, Glo, and Aura
FWIW, if you go into the recommendations scrubber on the kobobooks.com website, you can vote recommendations up or down (already own, not interested). You can actually remove all of the books in recommended that way, though I am sure they will repopulate, hopefully taking into account what you said as you did your "voting". I'm guessing it will take awhile to learn our actual preferences.

This is not, btw, unlike Amazon. I recently bought my granddaughter some Barbie stuff. Now it is Barbie, Barbie, Barbie when I look at amazon.com--including the things I already bought her.
taming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:21 PM   #64
Nigol
Groupie
Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nigol ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Original, Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
As imsoawesome noted, I have the same BUG with menu items not being properly recognized with one press.

Eg, from Home screen - tap Home, then Library - Library gets hilighted black, but then just sits there locked, until I press it again, Then it goes to the Library, but has the second press in the buffer, and executes that second press right after, and actually opens the book that was under where the press was made.

Does exactly the same thing from Library when I press the View button, and the select one of the 3 options - the option selected turns black, and the device sits there until the choice is pressed again, then it changes the view, and opens executes the second press on the book that is at the bottom right, opening it.

I trust others will report the same, and I hope that the Kobo Dev's will release 1.9.17 IMMEDIATELY with this fixed, as it is a major pain!

Thank you

OH, and while you're at it, please add another option to the menu for the new new bar at the bottom of the home screen called HIDE, so one can turn it off. I have no use for it as many others and would like it gone.

The REAL Joe
I have repeatedly said those same things in the beta group. I have add this double tap bug since the first alpha release. I have told the dev twice about this. And I have reverted back to 1.9.14 since then. Since I see this was not fixed in the final release I will be staying at 1.9.14.

I also hate the bottom bar and a lot of people asked to have an option to disable it, but all we got was the shortlist option. It is not bad, but an option to disable it would really be appreciated.

I am getting fed up that every bug we find and what we tell them is not a good idea is simply ignored. I am happy that there are persons that are in the same boat has me, maybe then someone will listen.

But I am starting to think that it is not really the dev fault that we cannot disable it, it might someone higher up that decided this. So that they can have better sales, it is even more obvious that it was pushed just before Christmas. When it was said earlier that the dev where not thinking of a new update before it.

And to think I recommended the Kobo to my boss for his girlfriend Christmas gift, and she will have no choice to update to this horrible update when setting up her new Kobo.
Nigol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2011, 11:37 PM   #65
pdops
Zealot
pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.pdops is just one insight away from self-actualization.

Device: Kobo Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by ltr View Post
There should definitely be a way to disable it both on the reader and the desktop.

Putting advertising that can't be removed is bad form.

ltr
Totally agree. Kobo is still digging themselves out from under a very poor reputation for customer service and they now do this. Very stupid.
pdops is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-23-2011, 11:44 PM   #66
markemark
Enthusiast
markemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to beholdmarkemark is a splendid one to behold

While I like having my shortlist available on the bottom the screen in the new release, I wish they would simplify the home screen have just one book list (instead of the two now in .16) that could show the shortlist, your library, last added books (to replace the 5 last added icons), and whatever else they want to add (recommendations, etc) instead of having two lists on the screen like they did with the new release.

Just keep it simple.

Last edited by markemark; 12-23-2011 at 11:47 PM.
markemark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:33 AM   #67
Cottser
Enthusiast
Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Cottser can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

For those wondering what the new home screen looks like:
http://blog.kobobooks.com/kobo-touch...now-available/

Looking forward to trying it out.
Cottser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:38 AM   #68
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

Device: Samsung Android Tablet w/Moon+ Pro Reader
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nigol View Post
I have repeatedly said those same things in the beta group. I have add this double tap bug since the first alpha release. I have told the dev twice about this. And I have reverted back to 1.9.14 since then. Since I see this was not fixed in the final release I will be staying at 1.9.14.
Could you please put the 1.9.14 firmware up on Rapidshare or somewhere similar, or post a link to where it can be downloaded? I desperately want to rollback now, and need the previous version.

Thanks
The REAL Joe

...nevermind, I found the post on the previous page where Joe563 posted it. Thanks!

Last edited by therealjoeblow; 12-24-2011 at 12:42 AM.
therealjoeblow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:43 AM   #69
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealjoeblow View Post
Could you please put the 1.9.14 firmware up on Rapidshare or somewhere similar, or post a link to where it can be downloaded? I desperately want to rollback now, and need the previous version.

Thanks
The REAL Joe

...nevermind, I found the post on the previous page where Joe563 posted it. Thanks!
http://download.kobobooks.com/firmwa...ate-1.9.14.zip
Canorka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 12:56 AM   #70
therealjoeblow
Zealot
therealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfoldedtherealjoeblow reads XML... blindfolded

I am happily back at 1.9.14, have turned on Airplane mode and do not intend to upgrade again until:

1) the double tap menu bug is confirmed fixed, AND
2) the bottom carousel can be turned OFF by the user

For what it's worth, I did NOT find the fonts any sharper (maybe the built in ones are, but since I don't use them, that could be why, Gentium Basic all the way baby!), nor did I notice any increase in page turning at all (but also, I have refreshes set to every page because I can't stand the ghosting, so maybe if refreshes are set to not occur every page that is faster, I can't say).

So 1.9.16 is a huge fail in my opinion, nothing but added bugs and frustration, and no improvements at all. Huge step backwards here Kobo...

Cheers and thanks for the link to the old firmware
The REAL Joe
Old 12-24-2011, 01:02 AM   #71
Canorka
Connoisseur
Canorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura aboutCanorka has a spectacular aura about

How did you reinstall 1.9.14 exactly? I followed the instructions in the manual install thread but nothing happens when I unplug/reboot...
Old 12-24-2011, 01:14 AM   #72
therealjoeblow
Zealot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canorka View Post
How did you reinstall 1.9.14 exactly? I followed the instructions in the manual install thread but nothing happens when I unplug/reboot...
Just unzip the files from the archive into the .Kobo directory on your device, then eject it from the computer and it should instantly see the files and say "updating".

IE, your .Kobo folder will have whatever it already has in it (the Sqllite database, plus some other folders etc - in there goes KoboRoot.tgz, manifest.md5sum, and the "upgrade" folder...

Cheers
The REAL Joe
Old 12-24-2011, 01:23 AM   #73
Canorka
Connoisseur

Ah, got it. I was neglecting to remove those 3 items from their folder before adding them to the Touch. All set, thanks!
Old 12-24-2011, 04:14 AM   #74
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koboyashi View Post
I found a new value in the file "[Drive letter where your Kobo is connected]:\.kobo\Kobo\Kobo eReader.conf" - the 1st line returned no value in the previous release, but now this line is crowded with tons of home phone stuff (including my special friends google-analytics.com), transferring at least 25 different numerical values. - Have a quick look at that line here. - I think the whole crap is intended for the recommendation feature. But who knows what kind of information is also encoded there...

BTW: Not happy too with the new home screen.
Umm... I've just experimented; while YES I do see a line "GAQueue=" present in the [GENERAL] section of my "Kobo eReader.conf" there are NO values at all present in it.

I have verified this both after a sync operation AND after visiting the Store. The only thing I have not done is to purchase a book.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2011, 04:37 AM   #75
Koboyashi
Zealot
Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Koboyashi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterT View Post
Umm... I've just experimented; while YES I do see a line "GAQueue=" present in the [GENERAL] section of my "Kobo eReader.conf" there are NO values at all present in it.

I have verified this both after a sync operation AND after visiting the Store. The only thing I have not done is to purchase a book.
Well, I've loaded a sample. This action has generated the value, I think.

Last edited by Koboyashi; 12-24-2011 at 05:44 AM.
Koboyashi is offline   Reply With Quote