Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Sony Reader

Notices

Old 10-19-2009, 09:46 PM   #1
BBRags
Connoisseur
BBRags began at the beginning.

Device: None
So many new e-readers: should I wait to buy e-books?

I have a Sony 505, which I really enjoy using. I'm not sure if I will get a non-Sony reader next year. I know that I can convert Sony bookstore files into other formats via Calibre (right?), should I wait to buy more ebooks until my e-reader plans are definite? I'm worried that the conversions will be imperfect or won't take advantage of new e-reader capabilities.
BBRags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 09:49 PM   #2
DrMoze
Booknut
DrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with othersDrMoze plays well with others

Device: Sony Reader 500/505/300/350, Nook Glowlight Plus (6")
Someone can verify (I'm not a Calibre junkie), but I believe that there's no conversion capability from the Sony Store format (.lrx) to other ebook formats. This won't be such a problem when Sony converts to ePub format soon.
DrMoze is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-19-2009, 10:06 PM   #3
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
The DRM on LRX ebooks has not been circumvented.

Conversion from ePub to other formats generally works well. Note that you have to strip the DRM first.

If you want to be extra safe, you could buy ePubs from Books on Board or several other ebooks stores for your 505. However, Sony seems to be sure they can convert all their LRX ebooks to ePub by the end of the year and you will then be able to redownload your existing ebooks as ePubs.
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:32 PM   #4
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Device: PRS-505, PRS-350
I'm betting on epub winning the format wars. I read a lot of free books, and when there's a choice between lrf and epub I've been choosing epub for this reason.
Superlucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2009, 10:50 PM   #5
BBRags
Connoisseur

Quote:
Sony seems to be sure they can convert all their LRX ebooks to ePub by the end of the year and you will then be able to redownload your existing ebooks as ePubs.
For free? All I have to do is wait until they convert their entire inventory to ePub and then re-download from my Sony account bookshelf?

Quote:
Conversion from ePub to other formats generally works well. Note that you have to strip the DRM first.
Sony's converted ePub files would still have some form of DRM though, right?
Advert
Old 10-20-2009, 05:28 AM   #6
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Quote:
Originally Posted by BBRags View Post
If the file went through convertion process, then yes. It will not have any DRM but you have to disinfect the file in the first place in order to be able to convert it.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
For free? All I have to do is wait until they convert their entire inventory to ePub and then re-download from my Sony account bookshelf?

We won't know for sure until Sony starts doing this, but that is what they said.

The Sony ePubs will have Adobe DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
Old 10-20-2009, 11:33 AM   #8
Superlucky
Fanatic
Superlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toysSuperlucky shares his or her toys

Quote:
Originally Posted by wallcraft View Post
We won't know for sure until Sony starts doing this, but that is what they said.

The Sony ePubs will have Adobe DRM, see Adobe ADEPT DRM for EPUB circumvented.
The links to the scripts lead to nowhere. Do you know where they are?
Old 10-20-2009, 11:39 AM   #9
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by Superlucky View Post
Do you know where they are?
Yahoo has typically been better at finding ineptepub.pyw (say) than some other search engines.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:23 AM   #10
BBRags
Connoisseur

Thanks for the info. Does the 505 read ePub files with Adobe DRM at this time or do we have to wait for a firmware update?

The Nook is going to support ePub w/Adobe DRM, but will I be able to read Barnes&Noble eBooks on the Sony 505 with complications?
Old 10-21-2009, 12:21 PM   #11
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Thanks for the info. Does the 505 read ePub files with Adobe DRM at this time or do we have to wait for a firmware update?
The 505 reads DRM'd epubs now.

Quote:
The Nook is going to support ePub w/Adobe DRM, but will I be able to read Barnes&Noble eBooks on the Sony 505 with complications?
We don't know yet. Right now the versions of Adobe DRM are different and won't be compatible unless Sony updates. There are a couple threads on the topic around here somewhere.
Old 10-21-2009, 02:35 PM   #12
BBRags
Connoisseur

Quote:
We don't know yet. Right now the versions of Adobe DRM are different and won't be compatible unless Sony updates.
Thanks superlucky. So close and yet so far.
Old 10-21-2009, 08:03 PM   #13
GizmoPlanet
GizmoPlanet began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
Bear with me here, because I'm new to the e-reader world, but don't the Sony e-readers have compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions? I know my PRS-300 handles standard EPUB formats with no difficulty.

I'll be experimenting with more non-DRM Adobe PDF documents to see how the reader handles them. I've used Calibre to load one PDF file into the reader, but it messed up the formatting (the document wasn't formatted for an e-book reader anyway).
GizmoPlanet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2009, 07:48 AM   #14
Superlucky
Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPlanet View Post
Bear with me here, because I'm new to the e-reader world, but don't the Sony e-readers have compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions? I know my PRS-300 handles standard EPUB formats with no difficulty
Most all the devices (except Kindles) can support Adobe DE, but it looks like B&N will be using a later version for their ebooks than what Sony uses, so they may not be compatible.
Old 10-22-2009, 09:45 AM   #15
wallcraft
reader

Quote:
Originally Posted by GizmoPlanet View Post
don't the Sony e-readers have compatibility with Adobe Digital Editions?
Yes. The problem is with the DRM (encryption) scheme used. Before the Nook there was only one DRM scheme for ePub, from Adobe. Now there are two schemes, the original Adobe and the new "social" DRM (as used for a long time by eReader, based on your name and credit card number). The Nook will be using the social DRM, which will be available to all Adobe licensees (e.g. Sony) next year but until then only B&N products will be able to read DRMed B&N ePubs. Note that Sony does not have to add social DRM reading to its devices, and it is quite likely that they won't do so (since they are anyway very slow to update their Reader's firmware).