Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 11-03-2007, 10:10 AM   #1
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Time snubs e-book readers for Invention of the Year

In fact, Time magazine did not list any e-book reader, not even Sony's PRS-500 or 505, in its extensive list of prospective inventions competing for Invention of the Year. They did, however, list a massive machine designed to print books on-demand at about 100 pages a minute.

In the long run, Time passed up inventions that could save us energy, make us more energy, make us safer, make our commutes easier, protect us from cancer and other diseases, reduce our impact on our finite resources, or bring knowledge to the third world... to name the iPhone as Invention of the Year. This, after copping out last year and naming "You" as Person of the Year.

If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it, and demand money back to compensate for their defrauding me by pretending to be a serious news magazine.
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
RWood
Technogeezer
RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RWood ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
That sounds like a plan Steve, except I parted company with Time many years ago. Their lack of insight is a pillar of their editorial policy.
RWood is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-03-2007, 10:38 AM   #3
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Shake a stick plus 1
Sorry to disappoint you Steve, but Time has not been a serious news magazine since, like, forever.

Besides, Apple was willing to pay more than Sony to get on the cover.
Nate the great is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:51 AM   #4
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-505, iPad
"If I had a subscription, I'd cancel it, and demand money back to compensate for their defrauding me by pretending to be a serious news magazine."

"Their lack of insight is a pillar of their editorial policy."

"...Time has not been a serious news magazine since, like, forever."

You guys wouldn't want to tell us what you really think, would you? I mean, is this some recognized week for expressing intense opinions or something? Maybe it's something in the water.
vivaldirules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 10:57 AM   #5
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh
Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Nate the great ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Since you really want to know

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
You guys wouldn't want to tell us what you really think, would you?
I like cheese.
Advert
Old 11-03-2007, 11:01 AM   #6
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?
vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vivaldirules ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I like cheese.
Point taken.
Old 11-03-2007, 11:20 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
In my opinion, I want to see a solar powered Tickle Me Elmo.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 12:38 PM   #8
HappyMartin
Martin Kristiansen
HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HappyMartin ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle International Ipad 2
So this is where the people with strong opinions went.

I have just allowed my Time subscription to lapse, have had it for years. They can publish what they wish I guess, it's their magazine, but it has made me nuts for a while now. All Steve Jobs has to do to make it into Time is buy a new black turtle neck sweater.

The following is not me having a go at U.S.A. citizens but I just cannot face the saturated coverage Time is already giving to the next presidential election. I can barely tolerate local politics.

I now download the news I want to the iLiad. That way I can edit what I read and pretend everything is going just the way I like. If only I could get rid of those pesky newspaper banners on the side of the road I would be just FINE.
HappyMartin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 02:34 PM   #9
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I have very strong opinions about how wood should be finished, I expect that yvanleterrible and I could get into quite a row on the matter ... except that having seen his work, he and I probably mostly agree.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:43 PM   #10
THJahar
Zealot
THJahar is on a distinguished road

Device: Jinke V2 Prototype
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nate the great View Post
I like cheese.
you sicken me with your degenerate cheese loving attitude....i'm going to put you on ignore FOREVER...your whole internet commenting career is RUINED!
THJahar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 03:47 PM   #11
Nate the great
Sir Penguin of Edinburgh

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
In my opinion, I want to see a solar powered Tickle Me Elmo.
I want to see a Elmo/Fantastic Four crossover. The one I really want to see is Elmo/Human Torch.
Old 11-03-2007, 05:18 PM   #12
vivaldirules
When's Doughnut Day?

Fine, then. My next book uploads will be "The Complete Book of Cheese" and then "Pippins and Cheese to Come" which includes the chapter "Any Stick Will do to Beat a Dog".
Old 11-03-2007, 07:21 PM   #13
bowerbird
Banned
bowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughtybowerbird has been very, very naughty

i like to grill cheese.

-bowerbird

p.s. this is my post #123.
bowerbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2007, 11:55 PM   #14
Leaping Gnome
Evangelist
Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Leaping Gnome once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-500
Seeing as the Sony Reader was invented and introduced last year, I don't see how you expect Time to name it the Invention of the Year this year. And other eBook readers might as well not even exist in the US, so yeah, what do you expect really?

Last edited by Leaping Gnome; 11-04-2007 at 12:01 AM.
Leaping Gnome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2007, 01:15 AM   #15
Patricia
Reader
Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Patricia ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500, PRS-505, Asus EEEpc 4G
Quote:
Originally Posted by vivaldirules View Post
Fine, then. My next book uploads will be "The Complete Book of Cheese" and then "Pippins and Cheese to Come" which includes the chapter "Any Stick Will do to Beat a Dog".
I didn't see this and so have already uploaded the first title. Sorry about that.
Patricia is offline   Reply With Quote