Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 01-05-2010, 01:06 AM   #1
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
"Annotating is disabled for blogs" on Kindle

When reading the Teleread blog recipe on my Kindle DX, if I try to highlight any passages, it refuses with the error message, "Annotating is disabled for blogs". Is there something in the Calibre metadata or is it the actual content that is flagging the feed in this way? Is there any way to modify the script to convince the Kindle not to see the feed as a blog?
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2010, 09:42 AM   #2
GRiker
Comparer of the Ephemeris
GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GRiker ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad
Periodicals with a single section or feed are created as type 0x102 (News Feed), while periodicals with multiple sections/feeds are created as type 0x103 (News Magazine). It turns out that periodicals of type 0x102 have annotation disabled, while type 0x103 can be annotated. This is a Kindle firmware feature, not a metadata option. Calibre uses type 0x102 for single-section periodicals as it simplifies the Kindle UI.

You could manually tweak the file type using a tool like mobi2mobi, or you could create the recipe with an additional feed to force the type to 0x103. I believe that would solve your problem.

G
GRiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-05-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
elmoglick
Groupie
elmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litterelmoglick doesn't litter

Device: Kindle1, Kindle DX, Kindle DXG
Quote:
Originally Posted by GRiker View Post
You could manually tweak the file type using a tool like mobi2mobi, or you could create the recipe with an additional feed to force the type to 0x103. I believe that would solve your problem.
Thanks very much for the info. That helps a lot. I'll give your suggestions a whirl.

....Later that same day: I combined the two single-feed blogs, Tech Crunch and Teleread to create a single, generic "Blogs" entry that lists each of the feeds in the Kindle menu. That solves the problem, but having the option within Calibre to force the 0x103 flag would be even better.

Last edited by elmoglick; 01-05-2010 at 06:11 PM. Reason: Update, an hour later...
elmoglick is offline   Reply With Quote