Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 07-08-2009, 09:34 AM   #1
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Star Trek eBooks in ePub

Last night I just noticed that BooksOnBoard has a number of new Star Trek eBooks available in ePub for less then Amazon has them for in AZW.

Star Trek Movie Tie-in
Losing the Peace
Troublesome Minds
Mere Anarchy
Over a Torrent Sea
Treason
Open Secrets
Shards and Shadows
Sacrifices of War
A Singular Destiny
Fatal Error

So I'm hoping this trend of lower prices and ePub continues.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 12:39 PM   #2
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Sony Reader PRS-505, PRS-650, PRS-T3, Pocketbook HD2
thanks for posting this information! I didn't realize they were moving these to ebook format!
Amalthia is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 02:43 PM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
thanks for posting this information! I didn't realize they were moving these to ebook format!
I found it by accident when I went to BOB to look up one of the Star Trek books in the list.
Old 07-08-2009, 02:49 PM   #4
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Last night I just noticed that BooksOnBoard has a number of new Star Trek eBooks available in ePub for less then Amazon has them for in AZW.
I'm to lazy to look, how much less? I've bought so Trek Recently and opted to pay a bit more from the Kindle store then it would have cost me buying from Pocket Books directly. But, it was only like $.40 a book or something which was well worth not having to liberate them.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:03 PM   #5
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Losing the Peace
Amazon - $7.99
BOB - $5.56

Star Trek Movie Tie-in
Amazon - $9.99
BOB - $8.93 ($1.51 rewards)

Troublesome Minds
Amazon - $7.99
BOB - $7.93 ($1.10 rewards)

Mere Anarchy
Amazon - $9.99
BOB - $9.52 ($1.62 rewards)

Over a Torrent Sea
Amazon - $6.39
BOB - $4.98 ($0.58 rewards)

Treason
Amazon - $9.99
BOB - $9.52 ($1.62 rewards)

Open Secrets
Amazon - $7.99
BOB - $7.72 ($1.31 rewards)

Shards and Shadows
Amazon - $9.99
BOB - $9.97 ($1.17 rewards)

Sacrifices of War
Amazon - $6.39

A Singular Destiny
Amazon - $6.39

Fatal Error
Amazon - $2.79
BOB - $2.43

So in every case, Amazon loses out in price and format.
Advert
Old 07-08-2009, 03:08 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:

So in every case, Amazon loses out in price and format.
Thanks Jon. I have yet to try and spin up Inept and get it working. But, those price differences are worth the time in order to be able to read these on my Kindle. While I don't like DRM I have been buying from the Kindle store to avoid the need to strip it.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 03:11 PM   #7
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Star Trek Movie Tie-in
Amazon - $9.99
BOB - $8.93 ($1.51 rewards)
What are the rewards? Oh wait now... you are reducing the Out Of Pocket by the rewards price. So, this book is actually $10.44 so Amazon is cheaper. I guess if you are buying a bunch the rewards come into play.

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 03:24 PM   #8
carld
Wizard
carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carld ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
Are there any books out based on the current movie's alternate timeline, aside from the movie tie-in?
carld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:35 PM   #9
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
Are there any books out based on the current movie's alternate timeline, aside from the movie tie-in?
Not yet. But Alan Dean Foster is writing a sequel to the movie. Which is due out sometime 2010.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:36 PM   #10
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilotbob View Post
What are the rewards? Oh wait now... you are reducing the Out Of Pocket by the rewards price. So, this book is actually $10.44 so Amazon is cheaper. I guess if you are buying a bunch the rewards come into play.

BOb
Once you get the key, stripping the DRM is trivial and you do not need to have a PID as the script uses a file containing your key. The Calibre can easily convert to Mobipocket for your Kindle experience.

The rewards are money that goes into your account that you can then use to buy another books with.

If you had bought all the Trek books with a reward and then the two that did not have a reward, you'd have $2.08 left in rewards. And in fact, after all is done, you have paid $85.89 for the books at Amazon and from BOB you've spent $83.89 and have all the same books plus $2.08 left in rewards.

Last edited by JSWolf; 07-08-2009 at 03:44 PM.
Old 07-08-2009, 03:38 PM   #11
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by carld View Post
I think the new time line and characters have to get a bit more established before that can happen.

Then again, if you want TOS characters and time frame, just read the TOS genre Trek Books. They are still publishing those right?

BOb
Old 07-08-2009, 03:49 PM   #12
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Anything that takes place before the movie's timeline is in the movie's timeline. So find all those books and have a read. And that does include all the Enterprise books too.
Old 07-08-2009, 06:48 PM   #13
Amalthia
Wizard
Amalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beautyAmalthia does all things with Zen-like beauty

Quote:
Anything that takes place before the movie's timeline is in the movie's timeline. So find all those books and have a read. And that does include all the Enterprise books too.
Which book do you recommend reading first??? Or which of the ones listed is your favorite? We seem to have similar tastes in books so I trust your judgement on this one.
Old 07-09-2009, 10:17 AM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amalthia View Post
Which book do you recommend reading first??? Or which of the ones listed is your favorite? We seem to have similar tastes in books so I trust your judgment on this one.
I don't know what you have read and what you have not. So here is the list of books in the timeline order starting with the books that are right before the movie Nemesis

A Time to Be Born (TNG)
A Time to Die (TNG)
A Time to Sow (TNG)
A Time to Harvest (TNG)
A Time to Love (TNG)
A Time to Hate (TNG)
A Time to Kill (TNG)
A Time to Heal (TNG)
A Time for War, A Time for Peace (TNG)
Death in Winter (TNG)
Taking Wing (Titan #1)
The Red King (Titan #2)
Articles of the Federation
Orion’s Hounds (Titan #3)
Resistance (TNG)
Q & A (TNG)
Sword of Damocles (Titan #4)
Before Dishonor (TNG)
Greater than the Sum (TNG)
Destiny: Gods of Night
Destiny: Mere Mortals
Destiny: Lost Souls
Full Circle (VOY)
Losing the Peace (TNG)
A Singular Destiny
Over A Torrent Sea (Titan #5)

Troublesome Minds is a TOS book and can be read anytime.
Star Trek Movie Tie-in can be read anytime since it's the New movie's novel.
Mere Anarchy is a reprint of a bunch of novellas that can be read anytime. The omnibus is cheaper to get then the seperate stories.
Old 07-09-2009, 12:49 PM   #15
Amalthia
Wizard

Quote:
I don't know what you have read and what you have not. So here is the list of books in the timeline order starting with the books that are right before the movie Nemesis
I haven't read any of the books!

Didn't realize there were so many. Though, I guess I should have considering how many Star Wars novels I see at the bookstore.