Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 12-16-2008, 11:04 AM   #16
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by VillageReader View Post
I think they give you the warning but if you want to purchase them again in a different format the site should let you. I think the warning is to avoid doing what I do periodically, forget I already have a copy.

Just ignore the warning, continue with the transaction and see what happens.
They do give you a warning, but they also don't put the book in your cart. There is no way to buy the book twice. You could, however, buy the book for someone else (at a discount, even), then use that certificate to buy the book for yourself (on a new account/email).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:05 AM   #17
Justy
Fanatic
Justy has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud ofJusty has much to be proud of

Device: Nexus 7, Sony Xperia z3 tablet, Kobo Glo, Boyue T63
I have re-purchased eBooks from Fictionwise before. It does give a warning, in a BIG red banner, that I already own it in a different format, but the eBook is still put into my cart and I can buy it if I want.

Edit: I just tested it, and the book was definitely put into my cart so that it could be re-purchased in the new format.
Justy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 11:16 AM   #18
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

Device: Sony PRS-505
Strange, the book was never put in my cart. I was taken back to my bookshelf.

Anyway, I now have the book having sent my self gift certificates to a new account. With the cash I got back, I sent it back again as a Gift Certificate.
PieOPah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
DaleDe
Grand Sorcerer
DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DaleDe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: EB 1150, EZ Reader, Literati, iPad 2 & Air 2, iPhone 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to sound like a "broken record", but PDF IS NOT AN EBOOK FORMAT .
It would seem that he was a victim of this group talking about Adobe Digital Edition as if it were a book format. He clearly thought he was getting ePUB. This can be confusing to a new person. ADE is a Reader not a format. We need to make this clearer for people.

Dale
DaleDe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 11:47 AM   #20
PieOPah
Addict
PieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-booksPieOPah has learned how to read e-books

You're right Dale, I thought I was getting Epub. Still, with the help and advice from everyone on these boards, I now know what I am doing and which formats to get/avoid in the future.

If in doubt, I am definitely going to ask in advance rather than jumping in feet first (I am too eager some times!)
Advert
Old 12-16-2008, 12:27 PM   #21
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Glad to hear you've got it sorted, Pie.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 PM   #22
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
If in doubt, I am definitely going to ask in advance rather than jumping in feet first (I am too eager some times!)
What I don't understand is that the Sony will read both ePub and PDF ebooks that are "Adobe Secure" so I'm not sure why you have a problem reading the purchased ebook?

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:25 PM   #23
PieOPah
Addict

BOb, the problem is that at the default size (small), the text is way too small to read properly. When I change it to Medium, the formatting is terrible. Lines are split and in general horrible. While I could read it, it was just too horrible to look at.
Old 12-16-2008, 01:27 PM   #24
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by PieOPah View Post
BOb, the problem is that at the default size (small), the text is way too small to read properly. When I change it to Medium, the formatting is terrible. Lines are split and in general horrible. While I could read it, it was just too horrible to look at.
Ah. I see. I assumed when you said it "doesn't work" you meant that the format/DRM was not compatible with your reader... not that it wasn't formatted well.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2008, 01:33 PM   #25
PieOPah
Addict

Sorry, when I said the format was horrible, I meant the layout rather than the file type Just read back my post and I wasn't very clear about that
Old 12-16-2008, 02:24 PM   #26
Elfwreck
Grand Sorcerer
Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Elfwreck ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3 (Past: Kobo Mini, PEZ, PRS-505, Clié)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
Sorry to sound like a "broken record", but PDF IS NOT AN EBOOK FORMAT .
Nor good for reading on a computer, although it's more tolerable.

It's convenient for PRINTING (which is what it was created for), and a great way to make sure the reader is getting exactly what the author sent. But PDF is supposed to be an end-result format, not adjustable to anyone's particular settings or needs.

(I love PDFs. I do lots of stuff with them. One of the things I do with them, is throw the text into Word and reformat it into a shape I want to read, depending on what I'm reading with, and re-output into a new PDF. I have layouts for onscreen, printout-save-paper, printout-into-spiralbound, SonyPRS, half-page booklet, and a couple of other obscure uses. I twitch every time I hear about someone stuck reading PDFs in whatever format some publishing company came up with, as those are generally designed to mimic trade paperback layouts, which are awful onscreen.)
Elfwreck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2008, 11:33 AM   #27
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleDe View Post
It would seem that he was a victim of this group talking about Adobe Digital Edition as if it were a book format. He clearly thought he was getting ePUB. This can be confusing to a new person. ADE is a Reader not a format. We need to make this clearer for people.

Dale
To make it more confusing, often PDF's, ADE and EPub are all labeled the same (as requiring ADE); it seems to depend on the store. I never know which I'll get (and seldom bother with any at these places, unless they are free).
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 02:58 AM   #28
golden turtle
golden turtle began at the beginning.

Device: none
Hi everyone..i'm a newbie n just want to add something here.

no need to repurchase the same book. When you open your bookshelves in fictionwise.just click the "choose download format"button,then you can download the book that you have purchased in a different format.

i suggest to buy a multiformat book in the future, or choose the secure Lit if there is no other option
golden turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2009, 03:14 AM   #29
PieOPah
Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by golden turtle View Post
i suggest to buy a multiformat book in the future, or choose the secure Lit if there is no other option
The specific books I had weren't multiformat and I thought that the PDF would be suitable...

I have since learned and now only buy LIT and then convert it to LRF
Old 01-13-2009, 03:31 AM   #30
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by golden turtle View Post
Hi everyone..i'm a newbie n just want to add something here.

no need to repurchase the same book. When you open your bookshelves in fictionwise.just click the "choose download format"button,then you can download the book that you have purchased in a different format.
That is incorrect. You can only do what you describe for "multiformat" books. We are discussing secure formats here. In order to download in a different secure format, one has to re-purchase the book.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote