Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Development

Notices

Old 07-30-2014, 07:55 AM   #1
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Simple PyQt help, please

I'm trying to tidy up the widget creating/layout code in a rather large QDialog which contains many QGroupBox widgets each of which contains a list of buttons. For each groupbox the buttons will all be QPushButton or all QCheckBox.
  1. I've managed to code a working method which successfully creates the groupbox/buttonlist pairs but I need a bit of help. The code currently is something like this:
    Code:
    def create_groupbox(self, lvalues, widget='QPushButton'):
        ... ...
        buttonlist = []
        for val in lvalues:
            ... ...
            if widget == 'QPushButton':
                button = QPushButton()
            elif widget == 'QCheckBox':
               button = QCheckBox()
            button.setText(val)
            ... ...
            buttonlist.append(button)
        ... ...
        return buttonlist, groupbox
    Is there better 1-line code for the red bit?
  2. A follow-up question. If I've previously created a groupbox/buttonlist pair using the above method,
    e.g. self.blist, gbox = self.create_groupbox(['1em', '2em', '3em'])
    and elsewhere in the code I need to know whether self.blist was created using QPushButton or QCheckBox, is there a test I could use on self.blist[0] to answer that question?
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:11 AM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Pass in the actual classes rather than strings, like this

Code:
def create_groupbox(self, lvalues, widget=QPushButton):
   button = widget()
and if you want to test whether something is a push button, do this

Code:
if isinstance(button, QPushButton):
   # is a QPushButton
elif isinstance(button, QCheckBox):
   # is a check box
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-30-2014, 08:28 AM   #3
chaley
Grand Sorcerer
chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.chaley ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
I'm trying to tidy up the widget creating/layout code in a rather large QDialog which contains many QGroupBox widgets each of which contains a list of buttons. For each groupbox the buttons will all be QPushButton or all QCheckBox.
  1. I've managed to code a working method which successfully creates the groupbox/buttonlist pairs but I need a bit of help. The code currently is something like this:
    Code:
        ... ...
        buttonlist = []
        for val in lvalues:
            ... ...
                button = QPushButton()
               button = QCheckBox()
            button.setText(val)
            ... ...
        ... ...
    Is there better 1-line code for the red bit?
  1. I am not sure about "better", but there is a one-line way to do it.
    Code:
    getattr(getattr(__import__('PyQt4'), 'Qt'), widget)()
    This gets the class object for the class named by 'widget', then instantiates it. Be sure to use the right PyQt for the version of calibre you are running.

You can of course get the Qt module outside the loop, then use it inside the loop. Something like:
    Code:
        ... ...
        buttonlist = []
        module_ = getattr(__import__('PyQt4'), 'Qt')
        for val in lvalues:
            ... ...
            button = getattr(module_, widget)()
            button.setText(val)
            ... ...
        ... ...
    EDIT: Kovid's solution is clearly better if there is only one class involved.
    Quote:
  2. A follow-up question. If I've previously created a groupbox/buttonlist pair using the above method,
    e.g. self.blist, gbox = self.create_groupbox(['1em', '2em', '3em'])
    and elsewhere in the code I need to know whether self.blist was created using QPushButton or QCheckBox, is there a test I could use on self.blist[0] to answer that question?
I think you are looking for isinstance, as in
Code:
if isinstance(self.blist[0], QPushButton):

Last edited by chaley; 07-30-2014 at 08:30 AM.
chaley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2014, 08:31 AM   #4
jackie_w
Grand Sorcerer
jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jackie_w ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo: KA1, ClaraHD, Forma, Libra2, Clara2E. PocketBook: TouchHD3
Thank you! Simple once you know
jackie_w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2014, 10:38 AM   #5
dundo
dundo began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackie_w View Post
button = QPushButton()
button = QCheckBox()

You can also do: button = eval(widget + '()')

dundo is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-16-2014, 11:05 AM   #6
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
Avoid eval(), it is a security risk, while in this case it is probably harmless, if you want a one-liner, do this, instead:

from PyQt5 import Qt as QtGui
button = getattr(QtGui, widget)()
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote