Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Deals and Resources (No Self-Promotion or Affiliate Links)

Notices

Old 08-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #16
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexander Turcic View Post
In the future we plan on making our site more "responsive" for mobile devices, meaning less dependency on Tapatalk.
Like, maybe an app???
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:24 PM   #17
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Like, maybe an app???
Not app necessarily. But have the design of the site switch to the format of the screen you're using. This way all features we have will also be accessible on mobile devices; with Tapatalk, we're rather restricted.
Alexander Turcic is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 03:30 PM   #18
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Huawei MediaPad M5, LG V30, Boyue T80S, Nexus 7 LTE, K3 3G, Fire HD8
Quote:
I have a love hate relationship with Tapatalk. I use it too for visiting MobileRead on tablet and phone devices. Unfortunately it's also one the most buggy software I have ever encountered (both client and server side). In the future we plan on making our site more "responsive" for mobile devices, meaning less dependency on Tapatalk.
I hope you will continue to support Tapatalk though, I think it's much better on mobile devices than mobile sites are. Most mobile websites have so little functionality that I avoid them like the plague even on my phone. I've never had a responsiveness problem. Tapatalk also has a dark theme which I really need.
Purple Lady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:44 PM   #19
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple Lady View Post
I hope you will continue to support Tapatalk though, I think it's much better on mobile devices than mobile sites are. Most mobile websites have so little functionality that I avoid them like the plague even on my phone. I've never had a responsiveness problem. Tapatalk also has a dark theme which I really need.
Not sure if this thread is exactly the right place for it but clearly a couple of us at least would like to hear what you like about Tapatalk and how it helps you.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 03:57 PM   #20
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged
Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Alexander Turcic ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
I am considering keeping it for those who've used it previous to our planned design change.
Advert
Old 08-14-2013, 04:16 PM   #21
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
MacRumors has a pretty nice custom mobile site. I'd say it's a pretty good example of something you might try going for.

I'm still thinking about whether I want to jump on the Tapatalk deal. I'm moving back to iOS in the next month or so after the new iPhone launches. So I'm not exactly going to need it afterwards. If it was a one time upgrade, sure, but they're not, and that'd be a waste of a dollar. My phone bill is already $100+ this month because I had my data plan changed and they couldn't remove the overages.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:20 PM   #22
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post
I'm moving back to iOS in the next month or so after the new iPhone launches.
Noooo!
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #23
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Noooo!
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 04:40 PM   #24
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer
Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Purple Lady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ApK View Post
Not sure if this thread is exactly the right place for it but clearly a couple of us at least would like to hear what you like about Tapatalk and how it helps you.
I don't like mobile sites in general so I was going to checkout the MR mobile site for comparison, but the regular website doesn't seem to have a link to it so I couldn't. I tried it in the past and did not care for it at all.

Tapatalk goes straight to the first unread post in a thread for me - I have it setup to do that. It's also easier to see what threads have new posts you haven't read - maybe because I use the dark theme. On the web it depends on the browser if you can easily see that or not.

Tapatalk can also give me a list of threads I subscribe to or a list of those I have participated in and I can get to those lists and switch back and forth very easily.

I can quickly checkout multiple forums more easily in one app. The ability to have a larger font size on every page I go to is good too - on a lot of browsers you have to double tap to zoom in on every page.

It's overall just much easier to navigate on mobile devices with Tapatalk than on mobile browsers. I use a browser for other sites on both my phone and tablet so I am comfortable using the browser already and still prefer Tapatalk.

The ability to use a dark theme is very important to me - the bright white of browsers gives me eyestrain.

As someone else already said, there is a free version on Amazon you can check out if you're unsure, but 99¢ is cheap enough to try it anyway.

One thing that is better on a browser is you can give karma. You can't on Tapatalk because that isn't a regular forum function.
Old 08-14-2013, 04:45 PM   #25
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Purple Lady, one big issue with Tapatalk is lack of software quality management. I lost count of the bugs (many of them reoccurring) and security issues that I have encountered over time. Sure, no software is bug-free, but the kind of bugs and the frequency they occurred made me think twice about Tapatalk.

If you feel like it check out their forums for customer (=forum admins) feedback: https://support.tapatalk.com
Old 08-14-2013, 05:01 PM   #26
Jessica Lares
Wizard
Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jessica Lares ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini, iPod Touch (5th gen)
Don't worry, I'm thinking about getting the next Kindle Fire.

Note: Thinking.

For those of us that subscribe to threads, Tapatalk works a lot better than the lame e-mails that get sent out. There's also a nice little menu that lets you see subscribed threads and whether there's a reply. That and on some forums (not here at MR though), you get notifications whenever someone quotes you.

A lot of forums are based on vBulletin 3 still, so viewing it in a browser is not that big of a deal because it's a very simple setup. But once you get into the newer versions, and the newer forum software that has all this dynamic junk going on, viewing it on Chrome, Firefox, or Dolphin is pretty much a no go.

It's not the same experience as using the actual website, and I'm sure no one actually uses it 100% of the time for any site, but I enjoy using it when I'm not in front of the computer.
Jessica Lares is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 05:54 PM   #27
koland
Grand Sorcerer
koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.koland ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle(all), nook, nookcolor, Sony, Kobo, epic, iphone, iPad, pc
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessica Lares View Post

For those of us that subscribe to threads, Tapatalk works a lot better than the lame e-mails that get sent out. There's also a nice little menu that lets you see subscribed threads and whether there's a reply. That and on some forums (not here at MR though), you get notifications whenever someone quotes you.
Yes, but as near as I can tell, the only way to limit the view to the forums you are interested in is to subscribe to them and look at your subscribed threads (forums get listed at the top).

Otherwise, you get an unfiltered mess of every post on the entire site, which I found to be useless.
koland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2013, 06:08 PM   #28
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Purple Lady, one big issue with Tapatalk is lack of software quality management. I lost count of the bugs (many of them reoccurring) and security issues that I have encountered over time. Sure, no software is bug-free, but the kind of bugs and the frequency they occurred made me think twice about Tapatalk.

If you feel like it check out their forums for customer (=forum admins) feedback: https://support.tapatalk.com
What area was I supposed to look at? I looked at forum owners only but didn't see much.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:10 PM   #29
Alexander Turcic
Fully Converged

Quote:
What area was I supposed to look at? I looked at forum owners only but didn't see much.
Reports and complaints about regression bugs are spread all over their forum. Last time I checked in the threads regarding Tapatalk 4 beta.
Old 08-14-2013, 06:28 PM   #30
Purple Lady
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by koland View Post
Yes, but as near as I can tell, the only way to limit the view to the forums you are interested in is to subscribe to them and look at your subscribed threads (forums get listed at the top).

Otherwise, you get an unfiltered mess of every post on the entire site, which I found to be useless.
Why would you not subscribe to the forums? In the older version of Tapatalk I would choose MR, then favorites and then choose between forums and topics. I have it set up to go favorites as the default view.

In the new version, you don't have a default view, but you can choose participated or subscribed. It brought me to unread first, which I agree is a useless mess. On my phone, I tapped on unread at the top and then it showed the menu on the side.