Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Apple Devices

Notices

Old 10-30-2011, 01:15 PM   #1
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
iOS5 - keyboard unresponsive

I've just ungraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and immediately noticed a significant problem. When typing in a text box in the web browser (eg, writing this message), there's a huge lag (seconds) on occasions between tapping the key and hearing the "click" and the letter appearing on the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a solution?
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2011, 02:40 PM   #2
kjk
kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kjk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: never enough
Harry,
haven't noticed on either my 4S or iPad 2. Is it just your iPhone 4 with the issue?
kjk is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-30-2011, 03:06 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I've not yet installed the new o/s on my iPad. It seems to be an issue that's specific to Safari.
Old 10-30-2011, 05:25 PM   #4
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone SE2020
I have noticed the same thing on my 3GS when texting and i am finding it infinitely annoying. It catches up eventually but the first couple of letters... lag city. In my case its also in any app that requires using the keyboard. I'm not happy with iOS5 on this phone, at all. But downgrading to 4 means going to 4.1 which is too far behind for some of my apps.
kyteflyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2011, 04:39 AM   #5
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
I have noticed the same thing on my 3GS when texting and i am finding it infinitely annoying. It catches up eventually but the first couple of letters... lag city. In my case its also in any app that requires using the keyboard. I'm not happy with iOS5 on this phone, at all. But downgrading to 4 means going to 4.1 which is too far behind for some of my apps.
In my case it's exactly the opposite - the first few keys I press are fine, but then it starts lagging, and the lag gets worse and worse until I stop typing, at which point it eventually catches up. And I then, of course, have to go back and correct all the errors which occurred through typing blind. I suspect that there's a keyboard buffer which is filling up after a few keystrokes. It's VERY annoying.
Advert
Old 10-31-2011, 07:11 AM   #6
kyteflyer
Wizard
kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kyteflyer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

After this thread, and a similar one in mactalk.com.au, I decided I can live with a lesser OS and downgraded to 4.1 today. The difference is phenomenal on my 3GS. I had forgotten how quick it can be. I guess I will upgrade at some time with a new phone but for now I'm staying on 4.1.
Old 10-31-2011, 08:59 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

How does one downgrade?
Old 11-01-2011, 08:14 PM   #8
monkeyluis
Banned
monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.monkeyluis ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad "3", Kindle Touch, Kindle Fire, iPhone 4S
I did notice some lag on the 3GS when I upgraded it. But I have the iPhone 4S now and i haven't noticed that at all. And I type a lot.
monkeyluis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2011, 08:28 PM   #9
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
How does one downgrade?
One visits modmyi.com and gets the instructions from there. You can downgrade to 4.1 even if you have never jailbroken, but I dont know what the deal is with iPhone 4. I only have a 3GS.

Last edited by kyteflyer; 11-03-2011 at 12:08 AM. Reason: phrased incorrectly to give wrong impression: fixed.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:00 AM   #10
kyteflyer
Wizard

And here's a new FYI: I also upgraded to 4.3.3 but sadly it killed my phone. That is, I could no longer use the phone/sms features at all. I've gone back to 4.1. I can live without everything except stanza and the phone.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:46 AM   #11
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
I'm getting lag here and there on my iPad first gen. My keyboard also freezes for several seconds here and there. At first I thought my iPad was just getting old, time for my ipad 3 upgrade, but now I'm thinking iOS5 hasn't gotten all the bugs out of it yet.

Also, I'm getting a lot of crashing APPS. When I bought my iPad when it was first released, I never had a single App crash.. now even my native App store crashes.. It doesn't do it all the time but its not acceptable for an Apple device.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 01:09 AM   #12
kyteflyer
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Synergi View Post
Also, I'm getting a lot of crashing APPS. When I bought my iPad when it was first released, I never had a single App crash.. now even my native App store crashes.. It doesn't do it all the time but its not acceptable for an Apple device.
Indeed it is not, after all, we have come to expect reliability from anything Apple... what was that we used to say? "It just works". Sadly, that no longer applies. I can't help feeling they should not have allowed iOS5 on the older devices.
Old 11-03-2011, 12:47 PM   #13
Synergi
Addict
Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synergi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle PW, iPadPro, Galaxy Note 5, 8 (tab) & Galaxy Tab S3
Quote:
Originally Posted by kyteflyer View Post
Indeed it is not, after all, we have come to expect reliability from anything Apple... what was that we used to say? "It just works". Sadly, that no longer applies. I can't help feeling they should not have allowed iOS5 on the older devices.
Exactly, this is why I buy Apple, because so far their stuff has always just worked and not given me issues. I'm sure they will fix it in some update but it shouldn't have been pushed out until ready.

I think I went through a similar situation on my old iphone 3gs when it was upgraded to IOS4.. The phone became unusable it was so laggy. I was already in another phone by then and only used it occasionally as an iPod so it wasn't that big of a deal, and they did fix it in an update later.
Synergi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:21 PM   #14
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I've just ungraded my iPhone 4 to iOS5 and immediately noticed a significant problem. When typing in a text box in the web browser (eg, writing this message), there's a huge lag (seconds) on occasions between tapping the key and hearing the "click" and the letter appearing on the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? Is there a solution?
No issue on my iPad2. But, can't help or comment with the iPhone issue. Just bought an Android Samsung Galaxy SII.

Sorry, did not resist to make the comment about the Galaxy SII ...
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011, 03:24 PM   #15
jocampo
Layback feline
jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jocampo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2nd gen, Sony DPTS1, iPad Pro 10.5"
All of the sudden Steve Jobs is gone and Apple's magic seems to be disappearing.

No, not a bad joke. I'm those kind of persons who believe in soul, and something beyond corporal body.

When my dad passed away, weird things started happening with his car and personal belongings. And again, I am not joking or trying to make fun or something so serious about the death of someone else.
jocampo is offline   Reply With Quote