Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > More E-Book Readers > Bookeen

Notices

View Poll Results: if it was up to you - what would you enjoy more?
Branding on front 17 56.67%
Branding on back 13 43.33%
Voters: 30. You may not vote on this poll

Old 09-29-2007, 04:25 AM   #1
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
Where should the branding go?

cybook hardware is being changed. if it was up to you - what would you enjoy more?

hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 07:52 AM   #2
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 08:50 AM   #3
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I don't mind the brand ont he front at all. And besides, if someone sees me reading using my Sony PRS500, that person will see the word Sony right on the front and know the device I have is made by Sony so if he/she wasnt to check one out, then it will be known to have been made by Sony.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 10:04 AM   #4
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Since most people will probably be using a cover, branding on the back wouldn't make much sense.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 11:07 AM   #5
hudsong
hudsong began at the beginning.

Device: Razr
Branding on the front seems way too loud to me. I'm an apple fan, so I'm all about minimalism. Why do you have to see the brand name of your e-reader? That makes no sense.
hudsong is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-29-2007, 11:38 AM   #6
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsong View Post
Branding on the front seems way too loud to me. I'm an apple fan, so I'm all about minimalism. Why do you have to see the brand name of your e-reader? That makes no sense.
Given that the average iPod is so unique in shape and style, it makes sense that it doesn't really *need* front branding.

However, once all the companies establish EU, PacRim and US mass-market presence, the similarity in case sizes and styles pretty much guarantees they will need some form of branding to differentiate. And as one of the other posters mentioned - with a softcover attached - a back-cover branding is invisible and fails in its job.

JMO

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:42 PM   #7
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
Since most people will probably be using a cover, branding on the back wouldn't make much sense.
Good point. If you're not using a cover I think the back is better for advertising. Maybe their covers should have an embossed logo or something. I like the look of the front better without the logos but if I like a product I'm happy to give them a little boost. If they need to keep it on the front, I'd prefer just the "Bookeen" and not the "Cybook".
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2007, 01:55 PM   #8
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alisa View Post
If they need to keep it on the front, I'd prefer just the "Bookeen" and not the "Cybook".
Agreed.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:16 AM   #9
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
I agree with both of you.

Last edited by guguy; 09-30-2007 at 06:18 AM.
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 09:16 AM   #10
jasonkchapman
Guru
jasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it isjasonkchapman knows what time it is

Device: Sony Reader, nook, Droid, nookColor, nookTablet
Quote:
Originally Posted by hudsong View Post
Well, you (the owner), don't. You already have one. It's for anyone you might show it to. Apple's branding on most of its products is right there, either in the Apple logo or in the company's recognizable design aesthetic.

I agree with what others have posted. The branding should be on the front and it should not be obtrusive.
jasonkchapman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2007, 06:31 PM   #11
Azayzel
Cache Ninja!
Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Azayzel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-500, HTC Shift, iPod Touch, iPaq 4150, TC1100, Panasonic WordsGear
The problem with comparing the Cybook to an iPod is that the iPod of devices has brand-recognition already built-in, whereas not many people have probably heard of Bookean.

I think that fromt he company's perspective, the branding on the front of the device would advertise more and possibly draw more consumers their way. After seeing how large the logo has been made... it looks too gaudy and intrusive, that might actually scare away prospective buyers. You should ask yourself why the logo has to be so large and loud.

While I already cast my vote for keeping it on the front, before seeing the mock-ups, I think the the cleaner Cybook looks much nicer and more professional, which is what most people would prefer in the end. How about having some field-tests to see people's reactions to both styles? That's, perhaps, the best way to judge peoples responses.
Azayzel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 05:51 AM   #12
astra
The Introvert
astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.astra ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony Reader PRS-650 & 505 & 500
Personally, I would prefer to have it on back, however as some people have mentioned no one would have noticed it because of the cover so there is no point to stamp it on back.
astra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 07:33 AM   #13
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Why is the placement of the brand of the read so important? When I am reading with my Sony, I don't pay attention to the Silver Sony at the top. I pay attention to what it is I am reading.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2007, 02:59 PM   #14
Alisa
Gadget Geek
Alisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongueAlisa can tie a knot in a cherry stem with his or her tongue

Device: Paperwhite, Kindle 3 (retired), Skindle 1.2 (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Why is the placement of the brand of the read so important? When I am reading with my Sony, I don't pay attention to the Silver Sony at the top. I pay attention to what it is I am reading.
It's not at all important to me the owner as long as it's not overly distracting. I think the idea is to allow the manufacturer to be visible to other potential customers. If I like a product I'm not averse to giving them a bit of free advertising.
Alisa is offline   Reply With Quote