Notices

View Poll Results: Will the Cybook 3 will be available on or before October 31
yes it will 27 48.21%
no it will not 29 51.79%
Voters: 56. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-03-2007, 02:45 PM   #16
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: TWO Kindle 2s, one each Bookeen Cybook Gen3, Sony PRS-500, Axim X51V
Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
I really DON'T think they are gonna change the casing to make it matte,
they are showing the gen3 on their website for months so I guess that if
they change something it will only be details, such as logos...
I don't know whether matte is an option either, but glossy *SUCKS*!!! It's impossible to keep the rainbow glow of fingerprint oil from ruining the "gleaming" appearance without resorting to wearing gloves at all times when I'm handling the unit. Bad choice, Bookeen! Bad! Bad!

Derek
delphidb96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 07:09 PM   #17
hello
Custom User Title
hello began at the beginning.

Device: Nokia 5130
wasnt this something for you r dealership meetin gs?
hello is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-03-2007, 07:51 PM   #18
delphidb96
Wizard
delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.delphidb96 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hello View Post
wasnt this something for you r dealership meetin gs?
We discussed this early on. We thought - weeks before the engineering samples were shipped - we'd be getting matte finish. Surprise!

As for the rubbery cover - no, we did *NOT* know of it until we got the engineering samples. Remember, *Bookeen* did the hardware design with the hardware manufacturer. We were not part of that discussion.

Derek
Old 10-03-2007, 08:21 PM   #19
guguy
Groupie
guguy began at the beginning.

Device: PRS-505
Didn't you SEE the photos on their website ?
guguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2007, 09:18 PM   #20
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by guguy View Post
Didn't you SEE the photos on their website ?
Guguy,

We've seen *LOTS* of photos from them. And statements. And responses.

Derek
Advert
Old 10-04-2007, 09:50 AM   #21
CommanderROR
eink fanatic
CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.CommanderROR is fluent in JavaScript as well as Klingon.

Device: STAReBOOK, iRex Iliad, Sony 505, Kindle 2
I guess they wanted to change as little as possible from the original STAReBOOK...and that's just shiny plastic. Shiny Plastic is OK for a white device because fingerprints don't show on white...
CommanderROR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 12:42 PM   #22
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I guess they wanted to change as little as possible from the original STAReBOOK...and that's just shiny plastic. Shiny Plastic is OK for a white device because fingerprints don't show on white...

I absolutely agree! Shiny is not a problem with a white case. But on the black it's just asking for people to notice the oils and crud from handling.

Derek
Old 10-04-2007, 12:43 PM   #23
MikeF74
Groupie
MikeF74 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-505
Quote:
Originally Posted by CommanderROR View Post
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. Perhaps the place that manufacturers for all the new reference-based device can only do a certain kind of finished plastic at the moment.

That would certainly be a very big disappointment.

I've never liked glossy black for any electronic device. Sadly, my interest is starting to fade. If they can't go matte, then I might avoid this device -- unless they come up with a few alternate pigment choices. Doing special runs of the case in different pigments should add little to no cost to the process, unless they've already taken delivery of a massive batch of cases in black.
MikeF74 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:00 PM   #24
IceHand
Linux User
IceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavensIceHand is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle 3
I've read somewhere (at NAEB?) that Bookeen wanted to make a white model, but they had some trouble with the colour -- whatever that means.
IceHand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2007, 07:22 PM   #25
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeF74 View Post
I think you may have hit the nail on the head there. Perhaps the place that manufacturers for all the new reference-based device can only do a certain kind of finished plastic at the moment.

That would certainly be a very big disappointment.

I've never liked glossy black for any electronic device. Sadly, my interest is starting to fade. If they can't go matte, then I might avoid this device -- unless they come up with a few alternate pigment choices. Doing special runs of the case in different pigments should add little to no cost to the process, unless they've already taken delivery of a massive batch of cases in black.

AFAIK, these glossy black cases are for the engineering samples. And I would hope that glossy white and matte black are still viable choices.

Derek
Old 10-05-2007, 02:55 AM   #26
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The iLiad is a matte charcoal grey; that works very well and provides a nice contrast with the screen. I prefer dark colours, but not gloss finishes!
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:14 PM   #27
delphidb96
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
The iLiad is a matte charcoal grey; that works very well and provides a nice contrast with the screen. I prefer dark colours, but not gloss finishes!

So do I. So do I.

BTW, no update received on the firmware. Still using version 0.91. Was promised update today. They're in France, I'm in California, it's 10AM my time - 6PM-7PM theirs. You figure it out.

Derek
Old 10-05-2007, 01:21 PM   #28
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
Quote:
Originally Posted by delphidb96 View Post
... it's 10AM my time - 6PM-7PM theirs. You figure it out.
Let's see, 10AM * ( 6-7 ) / Pi * (the integral of France, i.e. 0) ... carry the 5 ... ah yes, the answer is "S.O.L." ... or ... possibly "PRS505," I'm never sure if I handle those imaginary numbers correctly.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2007, 01:24 PM   #29
delphidb96
Wizard

STOP THE PRESSES!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NatCh View Post
Let's see, 10AM * ( 6-7 ) / Pi * (the integral of France, i.e. 0) ... carry the 5 ... ah yes, the answer is "S.O.L." ... or ... possibly "PRS505," I'm never sure if I handle those imaginary numbers correctly.

Read my new thread. The firmware update ARRIVED! (Naturally, it arrived *after* my post you were responding to.)

I'll be going RL as soon as it quits downloading in order to install, but I'll be giving a quick post on the changes later today.

Derek
Old 10-05-2007, 01:28 PM   #30
NatCh
Gizmologist
NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NatCh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch HD3
I saw it, naturally after I responded to your post above -- ah, well, I guess it just proves I've never mastered this "new math" stuff.

I'm glad the (finally) came through with the update.

I wonder if they were reading your growing frustration here, and that finally got them off the dime ....

Whatever it was, I'm glad they finally got around to it.
NatCh is offline   Reply With Quote