Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK > Nook Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 12-24-2010, 10:46 AM   #31
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Boox Note Air2+; Kobo Libra2; Kindle Scribe, Oasis3; iPad Mini6
Quote:
Originally Posted by ralban View Post
Now my rooted nook color is now the ultimate ereader:
B&N
Amazon Kindle
Google Books
Kobo
Overdrive
All without having to sideload com a computer!
SCION is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2010, 11:12 AM   #32
emt
Nameless Being

Not So Fast

I've got mine set to "Save to Memory Card" but I still get the gibberish text when downloading. I have to use Astro to get the "real" book. Does anyone have a clue? Maybe it has something to do with activating with ADE?
Advert
Old 12-24-2010, 11:15 AM   #33
SCION
Séduisant
SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SCION ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Yes, you have to use a file manager to get the book. Just click on it and Overdrive brings it into its library. We all get the gibberish text. Just the fact that the text can be saved and turned into something that Overdrive recognizes is an unexpected resolution. Of course that's not the way the app is supposed to work, but we have a rooted device that isn't listed as being supported on the Overdrive website.
Old 12-25-2010, 07:00 PM   #34
slayda
Retired & reading more!
slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.slayda ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 1, iPad Air 2, iPhone 6S+, Kobo Aura One
On my PC that's what downloads when I purchase some books. Actuall, I believe that when you run the .ascm file that it really DLs the epub book. I found that strange on the PC too but now I just esecute the .ascm file & then go look for the ebook.
slayda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:03 PM   #35
SCION
Séduisant

Good point slayda!
Advert
Old 12-25-2010, 07:09 PM   #36
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
Yes, I think what the acsm file does is execute a series of commands that talks back to the server to download the EPUB or PDF book and then also adds the DRM encryption specific to your account.
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-25-2010, 07:30 PM   #37
emt
Nameless Being

So, How Do We...

Execute an ascm file? I assume one way is to double-click it in a file manager - is there another way?
Old 12-28-2010, 03:17 AM   #38
MsCG1
Zealot
MsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exerciseMsCG1 juggles running chainsaws for a bit of light exercise

Device: Nook Classic, NookColor, HTC Rezound, Sony PRS-505, ICS Touchpad
Goodness, I just had to bump this thread back up and give props to KBMN. Being able to directly download Overdrive onto the NC gave me everything I've ever wanted in this device. I can't believe it works!
MsCG1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:16 PM   #39
nestlem3
nestlem3 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Question on .ascm file type extension

I am not able to get the downloaded page (saved through Dolphin browser) to open in Overdrive. I get and error:
"Sorry, cannot open this book".
When I look at the file extensions in Astro, I do not see .ascm there. Can someone look at the properties for the .ascm file extension and let me know what they have so I can add Mime type and subtype?

Thanks.
nestlem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 12:37 PM   #40
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by nestlem3 View Post
I am not able to get the downloaded page (saved through Dolphin browser) to open in Overdrive. I get and error:
"Sorry, cannot open this book".
When I look at the file extensions in Astro, I do not see .ascm there. Can someone look at the properties for the .ascm file extension and let me know what they have so I can add Mime type and subtype?

Thanks.
Try application / ascm (not .ascm)
Old 12-28-2010, 01:44 PM   #41
nestlem3
nestlem3 began at the beginning.

Device: nook color
Thank You. I'm am good to go with download and read on the NC.
nestlem3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:00 PM   #42
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
I want to download books from my library.......... I grabbed astro, but don't see OMC in the market. Wwhat else do I need to grab?
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:04 PM   #43
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I want to download books from my library.......... I grabbed astro, but don't see OMC in the market. Wwhat else do I need to grab?
http://www.overdrive.com/software/omc/androidEULA.aspx
Old 12-28-2010, 02:14 PM   #44
The Joker
Addict
The Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-booksThe Joker has learned how to read e-books

Device: NookColor.........rooted
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCION View Post

I downloaded that, but when I try to open it, I get a pop up saying "Install Blocked - Installation of download apks is not supported"

Do I have to sideload that from my computer or something (I'm not sure if I'm even using the word sideload correctly ) which would mean I have to install the ADB...

Jeez....I didn't think I was computer illiterate...but doing things to the NC has been humbling.....

Last edited by The Joker; 12-28-2010 at 02:16 PM.
The Joker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 02:15 PM   #45
SCION
Séduisant

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Joker View Post
I downloaded that, but when I try to open it, I get a pop up saying "Install Blocked - Installation of download apks is not supported"

Do I have to sideload that from my computer or something (I'm not sure if I'm even using the word sideload correctly )

Jeez....I didn't think I was computer illiterate...but doing things to the NC has been humbling.....
This needs to be done:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_Enable...ice_installers

If you haven't done the ADB thing yet, you need to do this first:

http://nookdevs.com/NookColor_USB_ADB

Tags
nook color, overdrive