Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 09-30-2010, 11:41 AM   #1
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Appeal For Negative Kindle Text Hack/Control/Setting

I tried reading my new kindle but i must admit the background is not very white on the display and I find it tiring compared to reading a paperback.

I t occurred to me that instead of having fairly black text against not so white background that it might be better to have white text against a black background.

So what i want to know how we can get the kindle to display white text against a black background.

Has anyone thought of this and done it?

Last edited by vugtitan; 09-30-2010 at 11:42 AM. Reason: tiredness
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 02:45 PM   #2
dougmwpsu
Enthusiast
dougmwpsu began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle
If you'll check Wikipedia, you'll see that the e-ink microcapsules will switch charge when exposed to Trihydrogen nitride. Therefore, if you spray a good amount of Windex on the Kindle screen, and then wipe with a microfiber cloth, it should permanently and irrevocably negate your screen.

Good luck!
dougmwpsu is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 09-30-2010, 03:54 PM   #3
jswinden
Nameless Being

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougmwpsu View Post
If you'll check Wikipedia, you'll see that the e-ink microcapsules will switch charge when exposed to Trihydrogen nitride. Therefore, if you spray a good amount of Windex on the Kindle screen, and then wipe with a microfiber cloth, it should permanently and irrevocably negate your screen.

Good luck!
Old 09-30-2010, 09:56 PM   #4
jondelfin
Enthusiast
jondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enoughjondelfin will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle 2, 3, 4T
Maybe when you drill the holes in your kindle for the strap you could saturate the interior with windex - might work faster. Or even drill a hole in the unused speaker hole to attach a strap to hold a small bottle of windex for when you need it. All joking aside, I just enjoy the Kindle with its good points and bad and use it too read books - i can play games and check my email on the computer
jondelfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I could write a quick script to test this, but I don't know how you would make the reader behave this way permanently. My instinct is that it would be harder to read than black on white...
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-01-2010, 05:41 PM   #6
vugtitan
Addict
vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vugtitan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by isotherm View Post
I could write a quick script to test this, but I don't know how you would make the reader behave this way permanently. My instinct is that it would be harder to read than black on white...
I hear amazon have released the source code for the kindle 3.

also when you turn pages you get a brief image of the white on black effect.

if you slow youtube images or freeze them you can see how improved the writing is.

Also i hear i think it was on the kindle app on ipad or iphone you can do this the whites on black thing easily.just google it.

i urge everyone to write to amazon to implement this as soon as possible.

it should be simple to implement as changing a - to a + when writing images.

please ,please someone do this as more complex hacks have been done.this would be a simple inversion.
vugtitan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
flandroid
Connoisseur
flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.flandroid has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kindle 2/3/4/PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by vugtitan View Post
please ,please someone do this as more complex hacks have been done.this would be a simple inversion.
This finally gave me the breakthrough I needed to finally perfect my life-long anti-gravity boot project. Simple inversion! Now that you put it that way, it's all falling into place.
flandroid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 05:58 PM   #8
c861556
Enthusiast
c861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enoughc861556 will become famous soon enough

Device: Kindle
Why would reading not very white text against black background be any way better than reading black text against very white background, exactly?
c861556 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 06:03 PM   #9
isotherm
Connoisseur
isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.isotherm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 2
I logged in via usbnetwork and inverted the screen while showing a book. IMO it was much harder to read, so I didn't spend any other time trying to make it that way permanently. Probably you are better off pressing ALT-G after turning the page to be sure the background really is as white as possible.
isotherm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 07:02 PM   #10
Madam Broshkina
Manic Do Fuse
Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Madam Broshkina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 500, 505, 350, Kindle 3, DXG, nook, Irex DR800SG, iPad
This had been tried before with the original Sony PRS 500. One of the biggest complaints against it was severe ghosting. Of course the displays are much better these days so perhaps it would work better now.

And for those of you who are making snarky comments to a legitimate question please post in the lounge if you want to share your "hilarious" wit.

Last edited by Madam Broshkina; 10-01-2010 at 07:20 PM. Reason: LLamas
Madam Broshkina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2010, 09:42 PM   #11
judith009
Groupie
judith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it isjudith009 knows what time it is

Device: Kindle 3, Voyage
I agree it would be a nice option
judith009 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 01:04 AM   #12
CharlieBird
¿Huh?
CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CharlieBird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: HiSense A7 CC, Fire HD6, Kobo Libra2
I asked about this possibility back in August before I bought my K3 and was put down really hard as some kind of whacko. I used white text on a black background most of the time on my Aztak PocketPro. I play around w/colors on FBReader but frequently end up with very light yellow text against a dark blue background.

Actually most eBook readers offer some choice between colors, textures, fonts, etc. uBook calls it a NightVision screen and has various versions all light colored text on dark backgrounds of various combinations. CoolReader (desktop version) and the old eReader (like FBReader) lets you select from a regular 'ole' color palette. The CoolReader on my PocketPro (of course because it is e-ink) just has the option of "Inversion".

I like my K3 a lot but do miss this option.
d
CharlieBird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 03:50 AM   #13
gargoyle67
Addict
gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.gargoyle67 can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kobo Aura
Would this use more battery power though as more of the screen is being changed each time ?
gargoyle67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 10:38 AM   #14
ricsmania
Connoisseur
ricsmania began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3 3G+Wifi
Quote:
Originally Posted by gargoyle67 View Post
Would this use more battery power though as more of the screen is being changed each time ?
When you refresh the screen it already makes the image negative, so I think it would be the same.
ricsmania is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2010, 12:52 PM   #15
tomsem
Grand Sorcerer
tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tomsem ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 15PM, Kindle Scribe, iPad mini 6, PocketBook InkPad Color 3
You could simulate this in a couple of ways:
1) take screenshots (Shift+ALT+G) and use a photo editor to reverse B & W. Then put the edited screenshots into a subfolder in the /pictures folder and view full screen with the picture viewer
2) author a PDF document with white text on black background, and open it on Kindle.

Typographical experience from print would suggest that white text on dark background needs to have thicker strokes to improve readability due to how visual perception works. So simply reversing black and white is probably not going to be as readable.
tomsem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, cupholders on kindle, ivory, microcapsules!, negative, silly ideas, tiring, white, windex