Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Kobo Reader

Notices

Old 05-10-2010, 01:24 PM   #1
DArenson
ebookworm
DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!DArenson rocks like Gibraltar!

Device: Kobo, Kindle
Smashwords to Kobo -- font size

Hi everyone,

I know the issue of font size on Kobos has been addressed here before. Reading over the threads, I found great tips for readers looking to fix font size for ebooks they bought/downloaded. But I'm wondering if any authors here are having font size woes with ebooks they're selling.

I'm the author of an ebook. I uploaded the .DOC file to Smashwords, which converted my book into an EPUB. I then loaded the EPUB onto my Kobo (using Adobe's software). The font is TINY and impossible to read. Changing the font doesn't work either.

Now, I can start looking for a .css file and fixing it, but I'd hate for my readers to have to do this. When people buy my EPUB from Smashwords or another store, and transfer it onto their Kobos, I'd like it to just magically work.

Any other authors here who've encountered this? I'd hate for my book to arrive at the Kobo store, then not work on people's Kobos. Any help would be much appreciated!

Thanks in advance,

Daniel
DArenson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 02:38 PM   #2
mwlcarter
Connoisseur
mwlcarter began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo eReader
I also published a book on Smashwords and was dismayed to find the same problem. However, in every other ePub-reading software I've tried, my book has displayed fine, so I think it's a problem restricted to Kobo's eReader at this point (hopefully fixed in firmware update). You could also try e-mailing Mark Coker at Smashwords, he's pretty good about responding to e-mails.
mwlcarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-10-2010, 03:30 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
If you check other threads here, you will find a lot of discussion about font sizing issues.

Trust me; even ePubs bought from the Kobo shop have the same issue!

All we can hope is that there will be new firmware BEFORE the Kobo launch in the US.
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2010, 04:06 PM   #4
Turt99
Connoisseur
Turt99 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite
I agree, I hope they fix this issue soon. I would hate for Kobo to loose sales because of it. For me it is the only issue that really bothers me.
Turt99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2010, 02:09 AM   #5
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Hi all -- the latest firmware upgrade (v1.4) deals with most of the epub font resizing issues.

Details here: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/showthread.php?t=88979

Sorry you had to wait so long, but we're glad it is finally fixed.

Michael Tamblyn, EVP Content, Sales & Merchandising - Kobo
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 07-05-2010, 08:43 AM   #6
bob5146
Enthusiast
bob5146 began at the beginning.

Device: kobo
Hi Mike when are we getting the Angus Robertson up grade here in Aussie???
bob5146 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2010, 12:44 AM   #7
mTamblyn
mTamblyn is on a distinguished road

Device: Kobo eReader, iPhone, iPad
Re Aussie, NZ and US upgrades, we're prepping them now. I'll post as soon as I have firm dates. Won't be too long!
mTamblyn is offline   Reply With Quote