Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

View Poll Results: How do you use Duokan Lite generally?
from the boot screen 127 34.32%
with launchpad hotkeys 34 9.19%
haven't used yet 209 56.49%
Voters: 370. You may not vote on this poll

Old 04-28-2013, 03:04 PM   #1126
thetasigma2
thetasigma2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5?)
Well according to this I understood it as a necessity. Or at the very least, a much easier way of doing it with Kubrick.
Quote:
Firmware 5.3.2: use the manual method.
The only difference being, I saw the update to that post, which suggested using the Kubrick method which downgrades and Jailbreaks automatically to 5.1.2.

Oh well, as long as I haven't done anything terrible to my Kindle, I can handle a quick re-install of Duokan.

Last edited by thetasigma2; 04-29-2013 at 07:55 PM.
thetasigma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 03:44 PM   #1127
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 5.3.7
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetasigma2 View Post
Oh well, as long as I haven't done anything terrible to my Kindle
you don't need to worry about this as long as you can handle the kubrick method.

OK then.

Since Duokan may require an unjailbeaked Kindle, after downgrading you might better follow this way: (if you fail on installing Duokan on a jaibreaked Kindle you may again with try this way )
1- install Duokan
2- copy the DUOKAN_NO file
3- install jailbreak
4- update Kindle to the latest firmware
5- install other hacks
6- remove the DUOKAN_NO file
thomass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2013, 06:35 PM   #1128
thetasigma2
thetasigma2 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle Touch (K5?)
Well, I managed to get it installed (in between tv and chatting on Skype). After I had Kubrick-jailbroken it down to 5.1.2.
I installed Duokan following the 5.1.2 instructions.
Downloaded the Duokan launcher.
Checked it was working and able to boot into Duokan and vice versa.
All this was working 100% as intended, so I proceeded to update Duokan to latest and then use the DISABLE_DUOKAN method to update back to 5.3.2.1. This went fine too. So now I'm all set I believe.

One of my last remaining questions with it, how deep can I nest folders for better sorting?
And is there any preferred directory to place books now? I'm assuming 'DK Documents' is my best option for non-AZWs?

Last edited by thetasigma2; 04-28-2013 at 07:41 PM.
thetasigma2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2013, 08:50 AM   #1129
Sauyadav
Enthusiast
Sauyadav began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo h2o, iPad mini, Note 2
How complete is epub & mobi support in Duokan? I installed & then uninstalled it, because I didn't like the how it was rendering books.
Sauyadav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 03:14 AM   #1130
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 1 & Kindle 4 Black
Smile Need your help

Quote:
Originally Posted by thomass View Post

Either in Documents or DK_Documents, either way Doukan checks both folders

I only want to use Duokan to read EPUB / PDF format,

AZW / MOBI/TXT format I only want to read them in the Kindle OS

Therefore, is there a way to make Duokan not to check the folder of 'Documents‘ from the kindle OS?

At present, there are too many MOBI / TXT format in the Document,
i don't want to make them appeared in the Duokan view,i found that the view is too messy.

richy1989 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 05:33 AM   #1131
thomass
Wizard
thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thomass ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by richy1989 View Post
is there a way to make Duokan not to check the folder of 'Documents‘ from the kindle OS?
you can sort by folders and ignore the "documents" folder on this list.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:59 AM   #1132
toabm
toabm began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle PaperWhite
Duokan on PW 5.3.4

Is there any way to install Duokan on firmware 5.3.4? I ca'nt find any info about it. Thanks....;=)
toabm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:35 AM   #1133
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by toabm View Post
Is there any way to install Duokan on firmware 5.3.4? I ca'nt find any info about it. Thanks....;=)
you may try this.
BTW this link is also avaliable on the first post.
Old 05-13-2013, 05:11 PM   #1134
tilal6991
tilal6991 began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Need some help everyone.
My situation:
Kindle is jailbroken
I installed Duokan Lite ages ago (middle of 2012) and used it for a while but never really warmed to it. I forgot to uninstall it properly though - I just deleted the DK_System folder and left it at that. It booted fine even though it ocassionally went into Duokan I never thought much about it.
Today I decided to give it another shot. I read up on the latest install guide and thought that since I'd already flashed DK once, I wouldn't need to install the bin files again.
What has happened:
Basically the Kindle 3 boots, goes straight to Duokan's autoinstaller, "sucessfully" installs and then reboots straight back to the the autoinstaller. It loops like this forever and there doesn't seem to be a way to stop it.
I can't access the Kindle's memory to remove the autoinstall script.
Edit: Also if I press Shift Shift Space I can see Launchpad come up with a "success" message. Not sure if that helps or hinders things.

Edit: would factory reseting remove the DK_System folder? http://www.frankcoles.com/journalism...start-a-kindle

Edit: Fixed it! Factory reset did the trick!

That's basically the situation. I'm a bit freaked out but any help is of course appreciated!

Last edited by tilal6991; 05-13-2013 at 05:24 PM.
tilal6991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2013, 09:00 PM   #1135
richy1989
Connoisseur
richy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel isrichy1989 really knows where his or her towel is

Smile I can't find the 'list'

Quote:
you can sort by folders and ignore the "documents" folder on this list.
Sorry,I can't find the 'list',could you tell me where the 'list' is?

Old 05-14-2013, 03:20 AM   #1136
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
Sorry,I can't find the 'list',could you tell me where the 'list' is?
I mean there is an option on the main screen for this purpose, you can sort the files according to folder, label, etc..
Old 05-14-2013, 06:05 AM   #1137
richy1989
Connoisseur

Smile To be continued...

Quote:
I mean there is an option on the main screen for this purpose, you can sort the files according to folder, label, etc..
Maybe you misunderstood me....

I have a lot of MOBI files in the root of 'documents'(not in DK_documents)
When I tried to sort by folders in Duokan,
the MOBI files from 'documents' don't disappear,

I only use the MOBI files in Kinlde OS ,not in Duokan.
so,Do you have some way to make Duokan not to check the folder of 'Documents‘,just check the folder of 'DK_Documents‘?

In other words,I want to make all the file in "document" disappear in the Duokan

In this case,the list will become clean...

I can't speak English very well
I hope you can understand what I said.

:)
Old 05-14-2013, 07:17 AM   #1138
thomass
Wizard

Quote:
I hope you can understand what I said.
I understood you correctly

Without making any change on the system files of the Duokan, there is only one way in which you can see the files in Dk_Documents separately from the documents folder: you can make Duokan sort files according to folders (via the option on the upper right side of the main screen. (it has the default value: "read" )
Old 05-16-2013, 01:40 PM   #1139
Kobudera
Hungarian
Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.Kobudera taught Chuck Norris how to fight.

Device: Kindle
Hi!

Matrix theme for DuoKan (Kindle 3-4-5; Touch; Paperwhite)

Matrix theme

Kobudera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2013, 06:41 PM   #1140
readandread
Zealot
readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.readandread ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite (11th Gen) v5.14.2
Kindlepaperwhite beginners questions

I guess, I'm also new to Kindle Jailbreaking (but William Wallace would be proud!), although I have jailbroken the iPhone, rooted my Android phone and installed custom ROMs on there. So I do got come basic knowledge of those things even though I'm not super techy and can program

So here are my questions:

1. Once I have jailbroken the Amazon firmware, I can install the Duokan 2013 as a quasi dual boot, correct? Would it make sense to work with the jailbroken Amazon firmware and Duokan 2013 when installing additional "apps" and hacks? So in essense having 2 "open" fimrwares to work with? What are they drawback when working with Duokan 2013 vs Amazon jailbroken firmware?

2. Can I assume that Duokan 2013 support these apps & hacks here too? https://wiki.mobileread.com/wiki/Kindle_Touch_Hacking

3. Is there any way to change the clock to 24h on the US locale on Paperwhite? There seems to be a solution for the KT but not Kindle PW

I have a new Kindle PW Wifi with firmware version 5.3.5.
readandread is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
doukan, duokan, duokan lite, epub, information, keyboard, kindle keyboard, mod, pdf