Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Onyx Boox

Notices

Old 02-16-2013, 10:51 AM   #1
Wish
Wish began at the beginning.

Device: M92
M92 and scribbling in annotations?

Hello, new M92 user here.

After having purchased the unit last week, I'm now trying to come to terms and to decide what to think of it. As expected, the insult of a manual isn't much help to start with so I'm mostly figuring it out with the amazing contributions of the fair people of this forum.

One thing I had to grapple with is annotations. I figured out sketching and merging sketches with PDF's just fine, Bookmarks are handy too.

Now annotations...

1) I understand that when I highlight a paragraph and switch to the annotation input, I can only type, not scribble, correct? If so, well it would be great if scribbling in the annotation field would be possible down the line (sometimes there's just not enough space in the document itself or you don't want to clutter it) but I guess I'll live.

2) While searching for the scribble mode, I noticed that the keypad for the annotation input can be put into "Write" mode where it says "English, Chinese, Number, etc..." on the right. I reckon that is supposed to be handwriting recognition? If it is, it doesn't really recognize anything I write unless it is single letters (I activate English before writing anything). Am I doing it wrong or is it just a poor piece of software?

Thanks for your help!
Wish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 12:01 PM   #2
Wish

Anybody?
Advert
Old 02-21-2013, 12:48 PM   #3
Read&Write
Enthusiast
Read&Write has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Onyx M92
Hello Wish and welcome to the forums!

As for 2., I cannot say, never used that feature. But with regard to annotations, you are correct in assuming that you can only type, not scribble. Using scribbles in a way that you would expect annotations to work (i.e. linking your scribbles to a marked piece of text and writing the scribbles on another part of the screen, not on your document) has been requested already. However, do not expect to see it in the near future. There might be a "split screen" some day when Onyx developers enable multitasking. For the time being, I do not know an adequate solution for what you want. And since Onyx refuses to open source their code, we are condemned to wait for help from their devs.
Read&Write is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 04:54 PM   #4
MatthiasR.
M92 user
MatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of lightMatthiasR. is a glorious beacon of light

Device: Onyx M92
Hello Wish!

Considering your first question:
You are right: Using annotations you have to "type" text. You can't just attach a scribble to some text.

Considering your second question:
You are right again, it is a handwriting recognition 'feature'
For achieving any kind of recognition of latin characters you have to write block letters. Above the field where you can write by hand then pop up some proposals of what the M92 guesses you wrote. Using latin characters this really works bad. According to my girlfriend, the recognition of chinese characters works much better (I can't judge that )
MatthiasR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2013, 06:56 PM   #5
Wish

Thank you, guys. Both my points don't strike me as necessities, just something that would make a lot of natural sense. My main concern was that I simply could have missed something so your reassurances helped in that regard.
Despite it's obvious shortcomings, I'm still very much content with my reader. Also the idea of having support from people like Booxtor around that will help to improve the experience is reassuring.
Advert