Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 03-26-2013, 06:20 PM   #1
amward
Wizard
amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.amward ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Eco Eclipse, Sony PRS 350 (pink), Ipod Touch, Kindle Touch
Problem returning book with ADE

My husband is having trouble returning his Overdrive library books early. Adobe comes up with an error message and the books show up still on his Overdrive account, however about 24 hours later they were gone from it. Is anyone else having this problem? He is using a fairly new version of ADE, I use an old one and have not had any problems.

Any ideas anyone?
amward is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 02:34 PM   #2
Pookeysgirl
Wizard
Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pookeysgirl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
See this thread: https://www.mobileread.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=208510
Pookeysgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 03:22 PM   #3
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo HD Glo, Kindles, Kindle Fires, Andriod Devices
Quote:
Originally Posted by amward View Post
My husband is having trouble returning his Overdrive library books early. Adobe comes up with an error message and the books show up still on his Overdrive account, however about 24 hours later they were gone from it. Is anyone else having this problem? He is using a fairly new version of ADE, I use an old one and have not had any problems.

Any ideas anyone?
Sometimes the return server hiccups and you just have to wait for the book to fall off or contact the library to remove it.

One bug is if you have a book expired 15 to 30 minutes before you are doing a early return the server wont update till the next server check which varies by library.

So if you do a early return and they are not gone within a day. I always contact the library to remove them or just let them expire.

It's not a perfect system. Overdrive is constantly messing things up.
Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 05:50 PM   #4
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I had the same problem with Adobe 2.0. I uninstalled, downloaded and installed 1.7, redownloaded my books, and it works like a charm again. I'm running Windows 8, never tried it on Windows 7.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2013, 11:22 PM   #5
Blossom
Treasure Seeker
Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Blossom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I had the same problem with Adobe 2.0. I uninstalled, downloaded and installed 1.7, redownloaded my books, and it works like a charm again. I'm running Windows 8, never tried it on Windows 7.
It happens with 1.7 too as I've never upgraded to 2.0.
Old 03-28-2013, 09:22 PM   #6
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blossom View Post
Sometimes the return server hiccups and you just have to wait for the book to fall off or contact the library to remove it.

One bug is if you have a book expired 15 to 30 minutes before you are doing a early return the server wont update till the next server check which varies by library.

So if you do a early return and they are not gone within a day. I always contact the library to remove them or just let them expire.

It's not a perfect system. Overdrive is constantly messing things up.
This has never happened to me before, but I just returned a book, which did disappear from my Sony software, but is still showing up as on loan at the library. Really annoying because I can't check out anything else until this one is returned, since I am currently still stuck with the Open epub books.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-28-2013, 10:44 PM   #7
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
This has never happened to me before, but I just returned a book, which did disappear from my Sony software, but is still showing up as on loan at the library. Really annoying because I can't check out anything else until this one is returned, since I am currently still stuck with the Open epub books.
If it's still in your bookshelf by tomorrow then you'll have to wait for it to expire or contact support to remove it for you.
Old 03-29-2013, 01:03 AM   #8
Ripplinger
350 Hoarder
Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ripplinger ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-350, Kobo Glo & Glo HD, PW2
Not sure if this will help you or not, but I borrow quite a few library books and have never had this happen using the Sony Reader software, the older version that came with the x50 line of readers. All books have been removed immediately from my Bookshelf upon reload. Library books are the only time I use the Sony software, but it does seem better to me than ADE.
Ripplinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 01:20 AM   #9
Blossom
Treasure Seeker

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ripplinger View Post
Not sure if this will help you or not, but I borrow quite a few library books and have never had this happen using the Sony Reader software, the older version that came with the x50 line of readers. All books have been removed immediately from my Bookshelf upon reload. Library books are the only time I use the Sony software, but it does seem better to me than ADE.
It's not the software that's the problem. It's the servers they use. Sometimes it just doesn't respond or it takes forever to respond.
I call it a hiccup but sometimes I can remove nothing for hours or I get errors on trying to download titles. It's not ADE it's the server that is causing it. It usually fixes itself but sometimes I have to email and ask for the title to be removed.

It could be the severs are overloaded or they are doing maintenance who knows with them. One time a Librarian told me the server had crashed and had to be rebooted.

Once you return a book and it's stuck try redownloading it. It will tell you it's already return so Adobe servers (ADE) work fine it's the Overdrive server that can take awhile to update the bookshelf.

Last edited by Blossom; 03-29-2013 at 01:22 AM.
Old 03-29-2013, 08:23 AM   #10
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
I've been returning books using the Sony software for over a year now and this is the first time I've had a problem - normally books I return are removed from my Overdrive account instantly. I expect Blossom is right and it's Overdrive at fault.

The book is still showing up on my library account this morning so I have sent an email to library help. They do have someone at the local library who has been helpful to me in the past, so hopefully this will get fixed soon.

Edited to add that I did try redownloading and rereturning yesterday but it didn't work.

Edited to add that I just realized the library is closed for the holiday today so I guess I am stuck. Hopefully the open epub books will really go away when the expire this weekend.

Last edited by 4691mls; 03-29-2013 at 09:35 AM.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2013, 02:45 PM   #11
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
I've got ADE 1.7.2 and have noticed that even after I have deleted books from the reader it does take a little while for the library to acknowledge that the book has been returned. I use 1.7.2 because I couldn't even get 2.0 to install on my computer for some reason.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:42 AM   #12
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
I download ePubs on my phone or iPod Touch as well, just so I can easily return them. The desktop software doesn't usually let me return, or I will get an error message that I returned too many items aleady (I have five library cards, so, duh!).
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 08:45 AM   #13
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
Quote:
Originally Posted by xendula View Post
...(I have five library cards, so, duh!).
Hoarder

I think I have close to a dozen
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2013, 10:38 AM   #14
DianNC
Banned
DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DianNC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Color, Entourage Pocket Edge, iPod Touch 5th Gen
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
I think I have close to a dozen
You must be a very organized monkey. I have four and I fear any more than that would create chaos in my OCD world.
DianNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #15
xendula
eBookworm
xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xendula ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4B/K ~ Nexus 7 ~ Kindle Paperwhite 1&2 ~ iPad Air
Quote:
Originally Posted by tubemonkey View Post
Hoarder
Look who's talking! Pah!

So jealous of your bazillion cards! If only there was a way to adopt a mobilereader for library purposes! Sigh.

One of the cards is from my home state in Germany and I feel does not really count - if you think Overdrive is bad, you should try Onleihe - pathetic.
xendula is offline   Reply With Quote