Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Formats > ePub

Notices

Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 AM   #1
tibiafry
Enthusiast
tibiafry has learned how to buy an e-book online

Device: Iliad
Exporting epub with InDesign: I lose blank lines!

When I export an epub from InDesign, all blank lines get lost in the procces.

Quote:
For instance there is this line

then a blank line between this one on the indesign document
But on the epub (and xhtml source) It's seen like this:

Quote:
For instance there is this line
then a blank line between this one on the indesign document
How can I force it to detect how many blank lines i left?

Thanks
tibiafry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:25 AM   #2
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybook Orizon, Kobo Aura
Don't leave blank lines, use vertical spacing instead. I have never used InDesign, but I guess you can assing some vertical space above the "then a blank line between..." paragraph or below the previous one.
Jellby is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 AM   #3
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jellby View Post
Don't leave blank lines, use vertical spacing instead. I have never used InDesign, but I guess you can assing some vertical space above the "then a blank line between..." paragraph or below the previous one.
That is not an option since our books are already made. We must convert them now into ebooks. And doing so in all of the books will drive the guys at the design department even more crazy. And I don't want them to eat me .

Any other way?
Old 03-31-2009, 07:40 AM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
Quote:
Originally Posted by tibiafry View Post
That is not an option since our books are already made. We must convert them now into ebooks. And doing so in all of the books will drive the guys at the design department even more crazy. And I don't want them to eat me .

Any other way?
Yes there is a way. Create a CSS entry for the paragraphs where you want the space to come before. Then use that for all those section in the XML files.

It's not as hard as it sounds. Could maybe be easier if you have all the paragraphs without an indent like in some books.

if you want to send me one of your eBooks in ePub, I cna have a go at it if you also point out where you want the spaces.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:41 AM   #5
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch
Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Jellby ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Open the XHTML generated in the ePUB file by InDesign. Are the "empty lines" there in any way (maybe an empty <P> or <DIV> tag)? If they are, you could post-process the ePUB to add something (&nbsp;) there.

If they aren't, there might be a way to run a macro/script that finds empty lines and adds a space or non-breaking space there. Then maybe when creating the ePUB these empty lines will not be lost.
Advert
Old 03-31-2009, 07:43 AM   #6
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
Yes there is a way. Create a CSS entry for the paragraphs where you want the space to come before. Then use that for all those section in the XML files.

It's not as hard as it sounds. Could maybe be easier if you have all the paragraphs without an indent like in some books.

if you want to send me one of your eBooks in ePub, I cna have a go at it if you also point out where you want the spaces.
I've already tried this. Editing the css, and I have that no-indent paragraph and it's just what I want to get, but It also messes up other places where it shouldn't be. Wouldn't it be easier if the export function did what it should (export everything, and not just waht it wants to). hehe.

No it's not there at all. I've searched it. I was writting a post winning to mobipocket cause it eated the lines and realized that it isn't there even on epub. Maybe post processing the xhtml is an option. But it will suck lol.

PS: can I force a page jump in epub? like <hr> or something lol

Last edited by tibiafry; 03-31-2009 at 07:48 AM.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:12 AM   #7
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Quote:
PS: can I force a page jump in epub? like <hr> or something lol
You can use the CSS properties "pagebreak-before: always" or "pagebreak-after: always".
Old 04-01-2009, 03:08 AM   #8
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
You can use the CSS properties "pagebreak-before: always" or "pagebreak-after: always".
That's very interesting. Any other special CSS properties I could learn?

A link or something?
Thanks.
Old 04-01-2009, 05:58 AM   #9
Jellby
frumious Bandersnatch

Hmm... I don't know what's "special", but I got most of my information from http://www.w3schools.com/Css/default.asp (or rather, google searching for different things often directed me there).
Old 04-01-2009, 10:52 AM   #10
tibiafry
Enthusiast

Quote:
Hmm... I don't know what's "special", but I got most of my information from http://www.w3schools.com/Css/default.asp (or rather, google searching for different things often directed me there).
Ok, thanks, but now:

I really need to know how to get at least this output

<p>&nbsp;</p>

for each blank line I have in my InDesign document. It's getting a pain in the *** having to do a special style editing every time i need 1, 2, 3 or 4 blank lines before/after a paragraph.

Thanks.

P.s.: I was searching the problem on google and this thread is the first result :S
Old 04-02-2009, 02:38 AM   #11
cerement
Groupie
cerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it iscerement knows what time it is

Device: Amazon Kindle 1, Sony PRS-300, Amazon Kindle 3
Quote:
I really need to know how to get at least this output
<p>&nbsp;</p>
for each blank line I have in my InDesign document. It's getting a pain in the *** having to do a special style editing every time i need 1, 2, 3 or 4 blank lines before/after a paragraph.
Ideally, you want to separate the display aspects into CSS and leave just the content in the XHTML file. Handcoding things is relatively straightforward, but I don't know enough about InDesign to go about telling you how to handle the automatic conversions.

If all of the <p> tags are getting the same space before, then in the external stylesheet, you would add something along the lines of:
Code:
p {padding-top: 1em}
If the amount of spacing was variable, then simplest (though not "best practice"), is something like:
Code:
<p style="padding-top: 2em">This is paragraph 1</p>
<p style="padding-top: 1em">This is paragraph 2</p>
cerement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 01:01 AM   #12
jttraverse
Enthusiast
jttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it isjttraverse knows what time it is

Device: none
How to add space before paragraphs only where I have it already..

Hi everyone,
I have a similar question in regards to having InDesign keep the spaces that already exist ahead of certain paragraphs when the book is exported to ePub format.
In most books, there is some space ahead of certain blocks of text/paragraphs because it makes reading easier or it separates parts of the story, etc. In my case there might be three or four paragraphs that tell part of the story, basically one set of paragraphs, and then I may use some blank space, a break between the preceding block of text/paragraphs and the following one (like I'm about to do here

I want to keep this spacing, but I see a lot of suggestions to simply use "Space before" or "Space after" to put the space in. But I find that puts space before -every- paragraph, leaving each paragraph separated by white space from all the others. That's definitely not what I'm trying to accomplish.

There must be some simple way to have InDesign export what I've written -as it is- without removing all the empty spaces and shoving all the paragraphs together. The idea of changing the entire written book to put a space before specific paragraphs simply because InDesign can't seem to interpret existing lines/spaces is nightmarish. Likewise, having to export InD to ePub then open the file in Sygil or something to edit the ePub sounds a bit embarrassing for a program like InDesign. (If you export to Pdf it comes out looking perfect, blank space and all...so why not handle it going to ePub?)

Any suggestions on how to export a document as it is and have InD convert to ePub and get it right? The help will be greatly appreciated.
-JTT
jttraverse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:19 AM   #13
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
InDesign DOES remove all empty spaces...(which makes sense) If you ID file is correctly formatted using style sheets, then it will styled like this:

ChapterName
Body No Indent
body
body
body

bodySpaceabove
body
body
body

if you don't then after you make the epub. You need to edit the Template.CSS file (I use dreamweaver)

Copy and past the body style and simply add space above and rename it :
Code:
p.body {
	font-family: "Minion Pro", serif;
	line-height: 1.30em;
	font-size: 0.96em;
	margin-bottom: 0.00em;
	margin-top: 0.00em;
	text-indent: 0.00em;
	margin-right: 0.00em;
	margin-left: 0.00em;
	text-align: justify;
	font-weight: normal;
	font-style: normal;
	color: rgb(0,0,0);

p.bodyspaceabove {
	font-family: "Minion Pro", serif;
	line-height: 1.30em;
	font-size: 0.96em;
	margin-bottom: 0.00em;
	margin-top: 1.5em;
	text-indent: 0.00em;
	margin-right: 0.00em;
	margin-left: 0.00em;
	text-align: justify;
	font-weight: normal;
	font-style: normal;
	color: rgb(0,0,0);
Then go through you xhtml files and apply the relevant style.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 03:12 PM   #14
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
That is awful looking CSS code. Way too much crap in it and lines that don't need to exist.

When you go into the CSS to edit it, also fix the poor coding as well.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 04:58 PM   #15
Adjust
Addict
Adjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel isAdjust really knows where his or her towel is

Device: ADE, iPad
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
That is awful looking CSS code.
Maybe poor code, but it at least it shows the op how to fix his problem. I don't see how picking apart someones post, does that.
Adjust is offline   Reply With Quote