Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-25-2012, 10:01 AM   #1
linelle
linelle began at the beginning.

Device: iPad
Looking for comfort reading/cozies

I am going through a book slump -- it is related to my writing, which absorbs a lot of energy. By the end of the day, I want comfort from a book. I've been rereading old Perry Mason mysteries. (Erle Stanley Gardner is my favorite hack. See my blog entry Erle Stanley Gardner's Infinite Playlist.

[blog promo removed - moderator]

I am not necessarily looking only for mysteries.

Last edited by dreams; 07-15-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: [blog promo removed - moderator]
linelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2012, 10:26 AM   #2
Synamon
Lunatic
Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Synamon ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite and Keyboard, Kobo Aura, iPad mini, iPod Touch
I recommend Josephine Tey's excellent historical mysteries which can be found in the public domain. Lately I've been rereading Dick Francis mysteries as a guilty pleasure. His books do have some violence in them, but the focus is usually fraud or blackmail and are a wonderful glimpse behind the curtain of the horse racing world. Another I enjoyed recently is the first book of the Bruno, Chief of Police series by Martin Walker, set in a small village in France. It was half cozy and half crime novel.

Last edited by Synamon; 06-25-2012 at 10:31 AM.
Synamon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2012, 08:22 AM   #3
linelle

@Synamon:

Thanks much! These books look to be right down my alley and just right for the time.
Old 06-27-2012, 05:24 PM   #4
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis (Gen3),Paperwhite (Gen10), Voyage, Paperwhite(orig), Fire HD 8
Second the recommendation for the Bruno Chief of Police books. Delightful cozies, set in the south of France.

Another possibility -- Rex Stout's Nero Wolfe series. Most are available in eBook form and they are classics of their type.
CRussel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2012, 06:34 PM   #5
speakingtohe
Wizard
speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.speakingtohe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: sony PRS-T1 and T3, Kobo Mini and Aura HD, Tablet
Maybe look at http://www.cozy-mystery.com/
While not considered cozy, I find these authors overall relaxing reading.

Rex Stout (as mentioned above.
Margery Allingham
Robert B. Parker
Lawrence Sanders Archie McNally series
Martha Grimes
Janet Evanovich
Robert K. Tanenbaum
Donald Strachey
Donna Andrews
Colin Cotterill
Dorothy Gilman
Rita Lakin
William Lashner

And the list could go on and on and on

Helen
speakingtohe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2012, 08:17 AM   #6
linelle

The Rex Stout recommendations reminded me that the A&E NERO WOLFE miniseries (Maurey Chakin as Wolfe) was relaxing, too. I've never read Stout. Maybe now is the time to start.

Now, I have abundance.
Old 06-28-2012, 09:05 AM   #7
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synamon View Post
I recommend Josephine Tey's excellent historical mysteries which can be found in the public domain.
They are only in the public domain in "Life+50" countries, such as Canada (which is where I guess you are?).
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 11:17 AM   #8
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by linelle View Post
The Rex Stout recommendations reminded me that the A&E NERO WOLFE miniseries (Maurey Chakin as Wolfe) was relaxing, too. I've never read Stout. Maybe now is the time to start.

Now, I have abundance.
Try them. I love Nero Wolf by Rex Stout. The A&E Series was the closest to the books I've seen.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2012, 06:10 PM   #9
CRussel
(he/him/his)
CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.CRussel ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Agreed. The A&E series was really quite good. It was missing some parts of the quirkiness, but overall caught the flavour of the two main characters very well.
Old 06-28-2012, 08:13 PM   #10
CRussel
(he/him/his)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
They are only in the public domain in "Life+50" countries, such as Canada (which is where I guess you are?).
With a Loonie as an Avatar? Seems a good bet.
Old 06-29-2012, 03:04 AM   #11
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRussel View Post
With a Loonie as an Avatar? Seems a good bet.
I'm afraid I have no idea what a "Loonie" is (other than an abbreviation for "lunatic").
Old 06-29-2012, 04:24 AM   #12
VaporPunk
Evangelist
VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.VaporPunk ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 4 + Asus Transformer
Tis the duck on the Canadian dollar. Usage, "I got that used book for a loonie!"
VaporPunk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2012, 05:41 AM   #13
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast

Thanks!
Old 06-29-2012, 09:58 AM   #14
CRussel
(he/him/his)

We have a kind of funny sense of humour, Harry. The common loon on our dollar coin makes it a Loonie, but then what else could you call our $2 coin but a "Toonie"?
Old 06-29-2012, 05:32 PM   #15
linelle

it is 97 degrees, it is the end the work week, and you folks have given me a good idea: revisiting the A&E Nero Wolfe. A few years ago I got the boxed set cheaply on ebay -- I think it was someone's unwanted Christmas present.

I remember a line spoken, or rather bellowed, by Wolfe: "You are here by my sufferance, Sir!"

Happy weekend everyone.