Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 04-19-2012, 10:07 AM   #16
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I figured that probably B&N delivered a faulty batch around the world. I hope that it wasn't very big.

Off Topic: I know that ST means Simple Touch but what does R from STR stands for?
Unfortunately, I got 2 faulty Touches separated by about 4 months, so it is unlikely to be a bad batch. There, now I went and worried you again!

I think the R stands for "Reader".
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 10:11 AM   #17
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAH View Post
Unfortunately, I got 2 faulty Touches separated by about 4 months, so it is unlikely to be a bad batch. There, now I went and worried you again!

I think the R stands for "Reader".
So, if it isn't a faulty batch, what seems to be the problem?
AlexGrama is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 10:58 AM   #18
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook simple touch, iPad 2
Nook STR, Nook Simple Touch Reader.

As for "the best", it is because it is (In my opinion). Just because a few are faulty (my first one was), doesn't mean it isn't the best reader still.

BWM's are a lot nicer than honda civics (maybe not an apt comparison), but if it turned out 1 in 50 BWM's had a serious transmision problem that required you to return it and get a new one, doesn't mean that the BWM isn't still nicer...just hope you either don't get one of the bum ones, or if you do you shouldn't have a painful processing getting it returned for a new one.

My first Nook ST had the battery drain issue and random shut-offs that NOTHING fixed. I finally returned it after 2 months, or I should say exchange it. My new one works perfectly. B&N's exchange process, especially now that they'll do it through your local store, is pretty painless. Its annoying if you have to do it, but pretty smooth.

As for "the best", personally I like the form factor a bit more than the other readers, I like the covers a little bit more and I love the physical page turn buttons. I use mine quite a bit as it makes it possible to turn a page one handed, where as without them you really can't do that (so you can easily for example read while eating and holding your nook ST in one hand, instead of having to lay it on a surface, and then still turn pages using the page turn button). The ability to hold down the page turn button for a second and go in to rapid paging mode (about 5 pages a second or faster) is also nice to cruise forward/backward in a book if you want.

To me the only annoyances, if you have a working one, are that B&N limits the user allowable storage space to 246MB, which is still enough for about 200-400 books (I have 150 books in main storage plus about 20 images for custom screen savers and I have about 50% storage free, only about 5 or 6 of those books were bought from B&N, the rest is side loaded content). The other is that if you do use the SD card, that if you put any of those books on shelves, if you reboot the nook ST or some people see it with connecting their nook to their PC, the books will disappear off the shelves and they have to reshelve them. However, if you use Calibre it isn't that big a deal as Calibre will store the books in folders by author, so if you go in to your library's file/folder view it is still very easy to navigate to and find books on the SD card.

I personally store my books that I re-read periodically in main storage so I can shelve them and not have them disappear on a reboot (the books are still there, they just go missing from the shelf) and books that are probably "one off" reads on the SD card.

As for the problem, I'd bet almost anything it is a supplier problem with the battery.

Based on charging times between my current Nook ST and the one that was faulty, the old one NEVER reached 100% charge, or if it it did, it never discharged below about 20-40% charge at the worst, even though it would power off and refuse to power on because it claimed the charge was too low (also random power offs when it said it was at 90% charge, then it was at 7% a minute later and then it would power off, only to power back on 5 minutes later and say it was 90% again and work fine for a day). My guess is a faulty voltage sensor in the battery both reporting the wrong voltage to the Nook ST (the voltage of the battery is how the device determines remaining battery capacity) and also preventing the battery from charging properly (again, the nook ST monitors the voltage of the battery to determine when it is fully charged or not).

I think it is just about as likely that whoever put the Nook ST together probably has gotten parts in batches, but not necessarily the same size batches. They may have gotten 4 million batteries, but only the parts to make 500,000 Nook ST for screens, chasis, main boards, etc and gotten periodic battery shipments before their entire stock was exhausted. If that was so, if a bunch of those 4 million batteries had bad voltage sensors in them, you'd get a large batch of Nook ST with potentially faulty voltage sensors in them, but if you get a new battery shipment in when you were down to 90% stock, you wouldn't necessarily use the 10% that had been remaining first...so some of what was left might get mixed in to the next 1 or 2 or 10 (for all I know) batches of Nook ST that are manufacturered. So the issue would become more dilute (supposing the battery supply fixed the issue), but it could still be occuring 10 million units later.

So, yeah I'd worry a little and look for the problem, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. Most units are good units and if yours IS bad, either you are likely to discover it in the first 14 days, or if longer than that, B&N is very good about doing an in store replacement for you.
azazel1024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 11:21 AM   #19
AlexGrama
Writer
AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AlexGrama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by azazel1024 View Post
Nook STR, Nook Simple Touch Reader.

As for "the best", it is because it is (In my opinion). Just because a few are faulty (my first one was), doesn't mean it isn't the best reader still.

[...]

So, yeah I'd worry a little and look for the problem, but I wouldn't be overly concerned. Most units are good units and if yours IS bad, either you are likely to discover it in the first 14 days, or if longer than that, B&N is very good about doing an in store replacement for you.
Thank you for your reply. I sure hope that it will be a good one. Tomorrow, when I hope it will arrive, I will share my opinion.

As for the replacement, if it will be necessary, it is going to be tricky. I live in Romania (Europe) and I ordered my Nook from a local provider. The 10-days limit in which I am able to return my Nook is set by the local provider. I do not know what are the rules set between B&N and my provider. Anywho, I hope what I will sort the things out in these 10-days limit.
Old 04-19-2012, 03:44 PM   #20
azazel1024
Groupie
azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.azazel1024 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Sorry, I had completely missed your location. Anyway you could call your provider and just ask about warranty (or do you know) as you had heard some have battery issues and you are concerned.
Advert
Old 04-19-2012, 05:16 PM   #21
AlexGrama
Writer

I checked and it has 12 months warranty. I guess that's good news.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:07 PM   #22
AlexGrama
Writer

It came. I plugged it. I'm going their way because I have 1 year warranty, enough time to figure things out. Now it displays the message : "Your NOOK's battery charge is too low to power on. Please wait 15 minutes." . It seems that it has been completely discharged.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:35 PM   #23
azazel1024
Groupie

That has been my experience with both my nooks, the working and non-working one that they showed up with the battery completely flat. It takes about 3 1/2hrs plugged in to a computer's USB port or about 2 1/2hrs if you use the included adapter (if yours included one) or any other 1amp/5w or higher output USB charger to charge it from 0 to full.
Old 04-20-2012, 12:51 PM   #24
AlexGrama
Writer

I plugged it to a laptop. I'm dazzled because it has passed 50 minutes and it still shows "Please wait 15 minutes". It's normal?
Old 04-20-2012, 12:58 PM   #25
afv011
Captain Penguin
afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.afv011 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Nook Glowlight
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexGrama View Post
I plugged it to a laptop. I'm dazzled because it has passed 50 minutes and it still shows "Please wait 15 minutes". It's normal?
You should try a wall charger, most phone chargers are compatible (any outputting 1A).
afv011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2012, 05:38 PM   #26
AlexGrama
Writer

So, let me sum this up. Finally it charged to 100%. In the morning it should be 100% still. If not, I know it has a problem.

Thank you all for your patience.
Old 04-21-2012, 03:22 AM   #27
AlexGrama
Writer

So, last night I read around 45 minutes + the usual exploring and it got to 95%. This morning is still 95%.

EDIT: I manually installed the 1.1.2 update and browsed the settings a little and it dropped to 92.

How should I interpret ? Based on your experience, is the Nook faulty or not?

Last edited by AlexGrama; 04-21-2012 at 08:47 AM.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:03 AM   #28
AlexGrama
Writer

Because I started this topic, I will ask here as well.

I noticed that I have, for example, a book with 350 pages and I have to turn 3 pages in order to count as a single page. In other words, I turn 3 pages and it goes from page 2 to page 3. I believe that the page numbers are not very accurate. Can I do something about it?
Old 04-21-2012, 09:43 AM   #29
RAH
Guru
RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.RAH ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Color Nook; Nook Touch
Alex,
If, as you reported, you charged it to 100% and then the next morning it was still at 100%, and then you used it some and it dropped to 95% and then the next morning it was still at 95%, then you definitely have a good unit, IMHO. When you have a bad unit that you have just charged from low up to 100%, you know it very quickly. With the 2 bad Touches I have had, they would lose like 12% overnight. If I do not perform the "topping off" routine mentioned above, my Touch will be down to less than 25% in about 4 or 5 days! So you know it when you see it.

As far as page numbers, you are not understanding it correctly. Because you can change the font size on the device and the margins, the page numbers will not necessarily change every time you turn a page. I mean, think about it, how could they? So you might have say 4 "virtual" page turns within one actual page. Depending on the font size, you might have even more.

In fact, the Nook devices work GREAT as far as page number. No matter what font setting you have or what device you are using (Nook Tablet, Color Nook, Touch, even Nook for PC!), when you go to say page 32 in a book, you see the exact same text on all devices.

Last edited by RAH; 04-21-2012 at 09:47 AM.
RAH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2012, 10:30 AM   #30
AlexGrama
Writer

Thank you again for you replies, RAH, as well as azazel1024's. Let me recap.

Yesterday around 19.00 PM my Nook arrived and at about 19.30 I put it to charge from an USB at my laptop. At around 11, one hour before midnight, it reached 100%. During the charge I browsed it and played with it so when it finally got 100%, I started reading and I read about an hour or more. When I put it to sleep, it was at 95%. This morning it was still 95%. I played with it a little and manually installed 1.1.2 because it didn't seem to install by itself. After I was done, it dropped to 93% and I put it to sleep. Now, at 17.28 it's still 93%. So 7% dropped since last night.

So, a little bit different compared to your version.

Thankfully, I understood the "page numbers" issue. Thank you for the explanation.