Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-13-2012, 03:50 PM   #1
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Device: Kindle FireHD, Kindle3G, iPad, MacBook, iRex Illiad (ret)
Malware or Ad I can ignore?

Dear Folks,

Trying to update Calibre to 9.6 from a Win 7 machine via Google Chrome browser through selecting Windows from

http://calibre-ebook.com/download

I receive the below mal-ware / virus ad. I have tried several loads of the calibre download page. The What's New Page and other Calibre pages do not trigger this. Should one worry?

Thank you.

Panda Cloud Antivirus Safe Search Protection
The page has been blocked as it contains malware or exploits
The Web page you are trying to access contains malware and exploits that could infect your computer.
We advise you not to continue visiting this page.

I understand that visiting the page could infect my computer. Continue

Explore with YAHOO! SEARCH
This ad is supporting your extension YAGBE: More info | Privacy Policy | Hide on this page
GeekyGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:05 PM   #2
vaughnmr
Ebook Reader
vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.vaughnmr ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, HTC Evo, HTC View
Panda Cloud is known for "false positives".
vaughnmr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 04:50 PM   #3
PeterT
Grand Sorcerer
PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PeterT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nexus 7, Clara, Touch, Tolino EPOS
You could also try the alternate location --> http://sourceforge.net/projects/cali...6.msi/download
PeterT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #4
GeekyGal
Enthusiast
GeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavensGeekyGal is a rising star in the heavens

Thank you. That worked. I just wanted to make sure this had not been hijacked.https://www2.mobileread.com/i/smiliestext/thankyou.gif
Old 11-13-2012, 09:01 PM   #5
GeekyGal
Enthusiast

Thank you. I'd never run into that one before.
Old 11-13-2012, 09:56 PM   #6
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeekyGal View Post
Thank you. I'd never run into that one before.
On rare occasions, other A/V will report a false positive. AVG did it to Calibre once a few years ago.
Because nobody's got the perfect A/V. I suggest you always make your SW ask YOU what to do (remember the case where Windows system files got quarantined a while back?) . You can always open a new browser window and Google to see if there are other (unresolved) reports.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 09:57 PM   #7
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
ESET called it a virus, too, this time around. I ended up using the alternative download link.

Last edited by FizzyWater; 11-15-2012 at 02:17 AM. Reason: it wasn't the Calibre download that had this problem
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2012, 10:15 PM   #8
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by FizzyWater View Post
ESET called it a virus, too, this time around. I ended up using the alternative download link.
Hmmm!
ESET is supposed to be one of the more solid ones.

Maybe we can get Kovid to post a MD5 when he does a build, as an additional anti-tamper check.
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2012, 12:08 AM   #9
FizzyWater
You kids get off my lawn!
FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.FizzyWater ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 2 and Libra H2O and half a dozen older models I can't let go of
OMG...can I post a retraction? It was the new download link for the "Tools" (not Calibre) that set off my ESET.

I have this problem occasionally because I don't read by forum, I read "New Posts", so I don't always notice what forum the comments are attached to. I was talking about the issues with the new "Tools" link earlier, and my brain just assumed I was reading about the same thing when I saw this.

Sorry, sorry, sorry
FizzyWater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2012, 04:27 PM   #10
LoiS-sez
LoiS-sez began at the beginning.

Device: Sony PRS-300
I took the alternative after getting the same message. I'm now using downloaded 0.9.6, but it's not the same as the one in Kovid's demonstration. (I've been away from downloading to Calibre for about a year and now need it for some PDFs.) I have the old Calibre Quick Start Guide on my e-reader, but am experiencing difficulty downloading the 1st of these PDFs to my reader even though they're viewable on my computer. How do I get them there? If this is a question for a different thread on the Forum, my apologies, but it and the Panda "malware" claim sent me here to the Forum, just like Geeky Gal, afraid of a virus and unable to download.
LoiS-sez is offline   Reply With Quote