Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Barnes & Noble NOOK

Notices

Old 08-13-2010, 02:33 AM   #1
destasage
destasage began at the beginning.

Device: Nook
Can this file be converted?

Hi there!

I'm new to this forum and I tried browsing several threads to see if I could have my question answered before asking here, just so I wasn't being too repetitive. If this is a repeat, please forgive me.

I already have Calibre on my computer, but it won't convert the file that I'd like to have converted.

There are a few books on my computer that are in .acsm format, which I can only get open by using my Adobe Digital Editions. When I acquired the books, it gave me the option to download them to Kindle, but since I don't own a Kindle, I just downloaded the books to my computer.

It would be nice to be able to read the books on my Nook instead of sitting at a computer desk. Is there any way to convert these files or are they protected?
destasage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 02:43 AM   #2
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
As far as I know, the .acsm file just a 'ticket' that allows you to download and open the file in ADE. If you've already opened the book in ADE, a version (probably EPUB) of the book should be sitting in your "Digital Editions" directory (possibly protected). Use the "Item Info" selection in ADE to bring up exactly where the book is located.

After you find the file, you can drag it over to Calibre to add it to your library.

Alternatively, you can use ADE to transfer the book to your Nook directly. Either way, if the book is protected, it may require 'liberation'.

Last edited by Kindle Addict; 08-13-2010 at 02:46 AM.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-13-2010, 07:18 PM   #3
Doug Pardee
Zealot
Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.Doug Pardee is the king of the Divan.

Device: B&N NOOK 3G
An ACSM file is a little file that the server sends to your computer for use by Adobe Digital Editions. It tells ADE what server to talk to and what file to ask for to get a particular e-book. You need to use that file right away. If your computer and browser are set up correctly, your browser will automatically start ADE and give it the ACSM file when you download an ACSM, but apparently your computer and browser aren't set up right.

Given that you've done this with multiple e-books, you're probably going to have to go back to the site and download again. Your ACSM files that you already have are probably no good now.

When you get an ACSM file downloading in your browser, if you're given a choice of "save" or "run", you want to "run" Adobe Digital Editions. If you're given a choice to always do that, pick that choice. Sometimes it's put the other way around, to always ask, in which case you don't want your browser to always ask. You want your browser to always run ADE for ACSM files.

If you're not asked and the ACSM file is simply saved, then after it's saved go double-click it to start ADE and download the e-book.

Do this re-download for each e-book. Don't start getting a new e-book until the previous one has been downloaded into ADE.

Once your e-books are in ADE, you just plug in your NOOK and you'll get a "nook" icon in the left sidebar of ADE. Drag the e-books from the library area of ADE and drop them on the "nook" icon. Now your e-books are on your NOOK. You can eject your NOOK and your e-books will be in the 'My Documents' part of 'My Library'.

(You did activate Adobe Digital Editions with an Adobe account already, right?)
Doug Pardee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:26 PM   #4
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
There is no way ADE would ask you anything about transferring an ePub formatted eBook to a Kindle.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2010, 07:38 PM   #5
Kindle Addict
kindict
Kindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litterKindle Addict doesn't litter

Device: Kindle 2, Kobo, iPad, Nook
Quote:
Originally Posted by JSWolf View Post
There is no way ADE would ask you anything about transferring an ePub formatted eBook to a Kindle.
LOL! I completely missed that (this being a Nook forum). Yes, no way ADE would even mention Kindle.
Kindle Addict is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert