Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 05-13-2010, 04:50 PM   #1
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
How do you manage your read queue with ebooks?

I am a new ereader owner (a nook). Previously I mostly pre-ordered books from Amazon, got books loaned to me from co-workers and browsed at my local bookstore when I ran out of reading material. I would keep books I want to read on a shelf or pile at home with a similar pile at work (of loaned books).

Now that I have a nook this equation has changed. It doesn't make sense for me to buy any books before I want to read it. The time it takes to get a book is effectively zero. Maybe for sideloaded content it might make sense to buy one book ahead but this is very different from my old 10 book piles waiting to be read.

I previously didn't use any software to manage my books read, to read, or whatever but now it makes sense to do so. Do any of you use any software to manage your reading queue or do you just make lists in a text file or keep it all in your head?

I am considering using goodreads.com to keep a list but the site lacks a recommendation engine which seems like a missing feature from where I sit. If I go to the trouble of classifying my library I would like to at least see the data used to recommend new books to read.

Any suggestions?
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:00 PM   #2
dmaul1114
Wizard
dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dmaul1114 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Amazon Kindle 1
I have a Kindle so I just send samples of books that I'm interested in. When I finish reading one a book I look through the samples and pick one to read, if I'm like it I buy and read it. Wash, rinse, repeat!

I do sometimes opt too look thorugh the Feedbooks Kindle guide and find a classic to read instead as well.

And for full disclosure, I only read a book or two a month at most, so I don't have the management needs of avid readers.
dmaul1114 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 05:02 PM   #3
mgmueller
Member Retired
mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mgmueller ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: 26 Readers, 44 Tablets
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuncanWatson View Post
I am a new ereader owner (a nook). Previously I mostly pre-ordered books from Amazon, got books loaned to me from co-workers and browsed at my local bookstore when I ran out of reading material. I would keep books I want to read on a shelf or pile at home with a similar pile at work (of loaned books).

Now that I have a nook this equation has changed. It doesn't make sense for me to buy any books before I want to read it. The time it takes to get a book is effectively zero. Maybe for sideloaded content it might make sense to buy one book ahead but this is very different from my old 10 book piles waiting to be read.

I previously didn't use any software to manage my books read, to read, or whatever but now it makes sense to do so. Do any of you use any software to manage your reading queue or do you just make lists in a text file or keep it all in your head?

I am considering using goodreads.com to keep a list but the site lacks a recommendation engine which seems like a missing feature from where I sit. If I go to the trouble of classifying my library I would like to at least see the data used to recommend new books to read.

Any suggestions?
I've started using Shelfari, which does have (basic) recommendations.
Else I'm doing exactly the opposite of you. I load each of my readers with tons of books. It was rather time consuming, to convert between the various file formats. So I basically copy all my (purchased) books only to those readers, which can operate the respective format natively.
Usually, I read on about 3 readers in parallel, about 5 books in parallel. When looking for a new read, I simply browse on my momentary favorite reader and start another 1 to 3 books. Usually, it's 1 fiction book, 1 self improvement book and 1 business book.
I use calibre and other apps only for convesion, not actually for managing my library.
mgmueller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:43 PM   #4
DuncanWatson
Kindle Convert
DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.DuncanWatson goes to eleven.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Nook (all)
I load a ton of free books and replacements or conversions of my existing collection of paper books but for books that cost money, I prefer to realize that expense only when I am about to read the book. I have been managing my collections with Calibre as well since Calibre and the "My Books" nookdev app work well together.

Shelfari looks great and it is already better than goodreads for me, thank you very much for that. I would love some integration with my ereader for these kinds of apps. I guess I need to break out the andriod sdk and put on my thinking cap. Though I guess I could write an extension or add-on for Calibre as well, my python is better than my Java in any case.

Of course my free time is mostly spent reading and cycling, but I could see the use of some management scripts.
DuncanWatson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-13-2010, 05:48 PM   #5
simplyparticular
Guru
simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.simplyparticular ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3 & GlowLight 4
I agree that Goodreads could do a better job at recommendations. It's fairly non-obvious/not sophisticated compared to say, Amazon.

But if you pick a book that you starred high, and then look in two places:

1. the lower right of the screen recommends books other people have rated similar
2. click on a user who has written a review of a book that you agree with and look a their books read list for high stars and overlap with your collection

Or you can make friends on GR and their recommendations will pop up in your update/feed.
simplyparticular is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-13-2010, 05:52 PM   #6
pilotbob
Grand Sorcerer
pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pilotbob ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Touch
I personally didn't really have one. When I was ready for a book I would decide what to read. Since I only keep unread books on my Kindle I would basically put books on it that were to read.. but only freebees. I also don't buy a book before I am ready to read it also.

Now that kindle added the ability to Wishlist kindle books... I have started a Kindle wish list on Amazon. So, going forward I will use that... even if I don't play to buy the book there, like out of copyright books which I usually get at Feedbooks, it still works.

I use library thing but only to keep track of books currently reading and that I have read... you can also have a "to read" collection there. They do have a recommendations also.

BOb
pilotbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 11:15 AM   #7
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
To keep track of what I've read, I use Calibre. I've loaded all my books in it and I use a simple system. Once I read the book I rate it in Calibre. That way I can tell at a glance what I've read.

I tend to go on binges with different genres. For the last couple of years I've read mostly Romance with a little SF along with a couple of history/biography books thrown in. Right now I'm reading a lot more military SF with my history/biography books.

My to be read "pile" is so large that I don't even worry about wish lists.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 01:30 PM   #8
banjobama
Busy Read'n
banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.banjobama ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Touch Lux 5
Ideally I would have two folders on my Sony Reader: Read and Unread. Then inside each folder would be the books organized into collections. However the Sony Reader won't support folders inside folders so I have one folder with Read and all the rest in their respective collections. When I finish I book I add the Read tag to it so it also appears in that folder. Hopefully that made sense, and hopefully the Nook has a better file system.

For reading, I just sort of decide what I'm in the mood for. Since joining Mobileread, my to-be-read list is aeons long so I don't actively seek recommendations any more.
banjobama is offline   Reply With Quote