Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 11-17-2008, 12:12 PM   #1
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
News Feeds on the (Sony, but does not matter which) reader

Hi,
I've (finally) been using Calibre on my Sony Reader!
I have to say it's a good program, and for what it does can closely match the Sony Ebook Library (without the shop).

I found the only tool I often use on Calibre is updating newsfeeds.

1- But it seems that Calibre is creating an entrance for each feed update.
Eg: When I get CNN feed of 16th of november, it will save it as CNN [16 nov 2008].
When a day later it loads CNN again it saves it under CNN [17 nov 2008].

I was wondering if it wasn't better to just store all messages under one feed (eg: CNN), and erase old news (eg older than 2 feeds, or older than 4 days).
Or when updating the feed that old entrances where deleted.

I can manually delete "CNN [16 nov 2008]", but maybe wanted to hear if it wasn't better to do it automatically?

2- Also, as a second point:
It would be nice that Calibre is downloading latest feeds to the computer, of the feeds I am subscribed to. and as soon as the reader is plugged it gives the user the option to upload newsfeeds yes or no.
There are many feeds in calibre I'm not using, but feeds like CNN or some other newsfeeds are very interesting to me.
It would be nice to erase feeds I never use, and to have an example of a feed to enter newer feeds as well. (see down point 3).
I'd love to just plug in my reader for a minute or two in my laptop knowing that not only did my battery charge some, but also my newsfeeds are automatically updated,without the waiting of my slow internet connection.

3- I tried inserting an RSS feed but it didn't really work.

Any ideas on wether or not RSS feeds will be implemented in the near future or not?
It would be nice, since RSS feeds are XML and usually redirecting to html, that everything could be stored in a compressed format,one file kind of thing,since htmls have the tendency to get rather large in size.

4- I saw calibre uses PRS-500 as the main device for me, eventhough I have connected a prs-505.
Are there any issues known? (like eg: the right arrow does not work;I have to press pg forward instead).
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2008, 12:28 PM   #2
kovidgoyal
creator of calibre
kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kovidgoyal ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Various
1) No what if you want to access past issues

2) A news download scheduler is on my TODO list

3) RSS and atom feeds are both implemented. Read the user manual for a tutorial on how to create recipes.

4) calibre doesn't have a "main device". When converting, you can select the target device. the 500, 505 and 705 are all identical as far as screen gemoetry goes, so the 500 profile works for all of them.
kovidgoyal is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 11-17-2008, 12:52 PM   #3
ProDigit
Karmaniac
ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ProDigit ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, Jetbook, + Mini, +Color, Astak Ez Reader Pro, PPW1, Aura H2O
Thanks for your quick reply!
ProDigit is offline   Reply With Quote