Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 12-15-2010, 04:24 AM   #106
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Ah, the question was, can you prove that there is a place where the monk is at the same time of day on the way up as on the way down - not to say what that place is. Now, there are mathematical solutions to the problem involving Brouwer's Fixed Point Theorem, which are virtually useless for actually understanding the solution. Much better is to use your intuition - imagine that a monk starts from the bottom of the mountain at sunrise, and another monk starts from the top of the mountain at sunrise. Now you can simply "see" that these two monks will pass each other and, hence, be at the same place on the path at the same time - though you don't know where or when, (but that's not what you are asked). From this you can also simply "see" that if the journeys take place on different days this makes no difference to whether the monks pass the same place at the same time of day.

Hope that helps. Apparently Arthur Koestler is responsible for this puzzle.
Why does it not surprise me this in a puzzle of Arthur Koestler?

Anyway, I wonder if that monk is awakened/enlightened through his meditations during that walk? Then he could be anywhere, anytime. Or is this too simplistic athinking?

Last edited by desertblues; 12-15-2010 at 04:24 AM. Reason: haste and not repent
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 05:18 AM   #107
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
Is there a new quiz?
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 06:41 AM   #108
desertblues
Home for the moment
desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertblues ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: various
Quote:
Originally Posted by Javed View Post
Is there a new quiz?
O my; I got carried away by the spiritual.
desertblues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:23 AM   #109
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Liseuse: Irex DR800. PRS 505 in the house, and the missus has an iPad.
A bit of science:

A Petri dish hosts a colony of bacteria. Once a minute every bacterium divides into two. The colony was founded by a single cell at noon. At exactly 12:43 (43 minutes later) the Petri dish was half full.
At what time will the dish be full?
TGS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 09:41 AM   #110
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Hanlin V3 (LBook), GS3
That's easy - 12:44

Edit: (do I have to find a question now? If yes please PM or Visitor Message - thanks )
LCF is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 12-15-2010, 10:57 AM   #111
TGS
Country Member
TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TGS ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
That's easy - 12:44

Edit: (do I have to find a question now? If yes please PM or Visitor Message - thanks )
Sheesh, too easy. As my dear old mum used to say, there are no flies on LCF, (even of there are marks where they have been), (no, I don't know what it means either). Over to you...
Old 12-15-2010, 11:25 AM   #112
LCF
Wizard
LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.LCF ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TGS View Post
Sheesh, too easy. As my dear old mum used to say, there are no flies on LCF, (even of there are marks where they have been), (no, I don't know what it means either). Over to you...
Spoiler:
I look like sh*t but I taste too bad, so the flies flied away?

I'm thinking, give me a few minutes, please

[Edit] I found a great one, just need a little time to translate it.

Last edited by LCF; 12-15-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 12-15-2010, 11:37 AM   #113
LCF
Wizard

There was once a horse race. The 2 best jockeys made it to the final.
Problem was, in the final race they finished at exactly the same second.
The final was restarted, but the finished together again.
Disturbed, the jury gathered together, discussed the matter and decided:
"Winner will be the one, whose horse get to the finish line second instead of first."

The signal was given, but none of the riders started - they both wanted to finish last. There went 10 minutes, 15... - nothing!

Finally a man went to them and whispered something... 5 min. later the start signal was given again and they both rushed toward the finish.

What did the man tell them?
Old 12-15-2010, 11:54 AM   #114
TGS
Country Member

I'm afraid I think I know this one, but will put my answer in a spoiler to let someone alse have a turn.

Spoiler:
They swapped horses
Old 12-15-2010, 06:13 PM   #115
SneakySnake
I'm watching you!
SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.SneakySnake ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-900(unused lately) iPadAir2, want me Kindle Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by SneakySnake View Post
To fix you up. How about I ask it again.
only the list =
1, 4, 7, 9, 11, 17.
In case you wanted to know why 9 was the correct answer...
..The answer is 9 because all the other digits are made up of straight lines. The nine has curves.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCF View Post
There was once a horse race. The 2 best jockeys made it to the final.
Problem was, in the final race they finished at exactly the same second.
The final was restarted, but the finished together again.
Disturbed, the jury gathered together, discussed the matter and decided:
"Winner will be the one, whose horse get to the finish line second instead of first."

The signal was given, but none of the riders started - they both wanted to finish last. There went 10 minutes, 15... - nothing!

Finally a man went to them and whispered something... 5 min. later the start signal was given again and they both rushed toward the finish.

What did the man tell them?
I think he told them to get off their horses and run. I am not sure why though.
SneakySnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:56 PM   #116
LCF
Wizard

not quite
but you are getting nearer
Old 12-15-2010, 10:52 PM   #117
GraceKrispy
It's Dr. Penguin now!
GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GraceKrispy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad mini, Samsung Note 3, Sony PRS-650 (rarely used now)
I think he told them to race back around backwards. (that's it TGS wasn't correct in his response, which was my first thought)
GraceKrispy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 05:25 AM   #118
LCF
Wizard

well, TGS *was* correct, but you were not supposed to look! So, players, if you have all already seen the self disqualified right answer, you better gather and decide who will post the next question
or be a real society and kick TGS to the front screaming "he did it!!!!"
Old 12-16-2010, 06:28 AM   #119
Javed
Grand Sorcerer
Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Javed ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Astak Pocket PRO, iPod Touch, PRS-650
TGS to ask the next quiztion!
Javed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 07:28 AM   #120
TGS
Country Member

OK already!

At an auction, a woman's ring and a filigree jewelry box with a hand-painted ceramic top are on sale for $200.00 Dollars. The jewelry box is valued at $190.00 Dollars more than the ring. How much is the ring worth?