Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Writers' Corner

Notices

Old 10-19-2013, 12:33 PM   #16
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
If you need motivation, pick up No Plot? No Problem! It won't teach you much about the craft, but it's an entertaining, inspiring little book from the NaNoWriMo inventor.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:26 PM   #17
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kindle Paperwhite, Calibre, and Mobipocket for Pc (netbook)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
If you need motivation, pick up No Plot? No Problem! It won't teach you much about the craft, but it's an entertaining, inspiring little book from the NaNoWriMo inventor.
There is also "Nano, for the new and insane" by Lazette Gifford.
crich70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 01:32 PM   #18
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Yeah well, I'm already insane enough, thank you.

kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 02:40 PM   #19
kennyc
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

From a G+ posted by David Brin:

various writing tips/advice

http://www.scoop.it/t/advice-for-writers
Old 10-19-2013, 05:33 PM   #20
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
During November, I'll be laying out the illustrated version of a new fairy tale collection, and beta-reading a friend's NaNoWriMo effort from last year. The kind of writing I do doesn't lend itself to NaNoWriMo kind of thing - too many short stories, and I don't think I could come up with a new short story a day for 30 days.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:14 PM   #21
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
The kind of writing I do doesn't lend itself to NaNoWriMo kind of thing - too many short stories, and I don't think I could come up with a new short story a day for 30 days.
I can relate to this. My novel writing efforts frequently make me think, "You're a short story writer.", but I want to finish a novel, just so I can say I completed one. But realistically, in the time it takes me to write a novel draft, I could put together (and polish) a dozen of short stories, and a countless flash ones. I actually enjoy flash fiction, both writing and reading, perhaps more so than shorts and novellas. It may in part be because my native language isn't English, so flash fiction is "easier" (revising, re-revising, re-re-revising also takes less time), but actually, I think it's just preference.

I do enjoy world building and had, for example, a great time designing an original magic system, but creating a novel-spanning plot doesn't come naturally to me. Snapshots are more my thing.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2013, 06:42 PM   #22
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mivo View Post
I can relate to this. My novel writing efforts frequently make me think, "You're a short story writer.", but I want to finish a novel, just so I can say I completed one. But realistically, in the time it takes me to write a novel draft, I could put together (and polish) a dozen of short stories, and a countless flash ones. I actually enjoy flash fiction, both writing and reading, perhaps more so than shorts and novellas. It may in part be because my native language isn't English, so flash fiction is "easier" (revising, re-revising, re-re-revising also takes less time), but actually, I think it's just preference.

I do enjoy world building and had, for example, a great time designing an original magic system, but creating a novel-spanning plot doesn't come naturally to me. Snapshots are more my thing.
Have you considered a 'linked collection' which forms more of a novel?
There are a number of these like Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson and recently Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad?
Old 10-19-2013, 08:38 PM   #23
crich70
Grand Sorcerer
crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crich70 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Have you considered a 'linked collection' which forms more of a novel?
There are a number of these like Winesburg, Ohio by Sherwood Anderson and recently Jennifer Egan's A Visit from the Goon Squad?
And Ray Bradbury wanted to write a book like Winesburg Ohio when he came up with what became "The Martian Chronicles."
Old 10-24-2013, 06:39 PM   #24
kennyc

Well, I thought I was focused on an idea/story...the one that was slightly more fleshed out than the other one, but a number of things have sort of come together today to push me in the second direction......this after several days of not writing anything and pretty much deciding not to do nano......at the moment this idea seems to be coming together and I think it could have plenty of stuff to easily be a full fledged novel.

Hmmmm....
Old 10-24-2013, 10:30 PM   #25
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kennyc View Post
Well, I thought I was focused on an idea/story...the one that was slightly more fleshed out than the other one, but a number of things have sort of come together today to push me in the second direction......this after several days of not writing anything and pretty much deciding not to do nano......at the moment this idea seems to be coming together and I think it could have plenty of stuff to easily be a full fledged novel.

Hmmmm....
Good luck with it Kennyc.
Old 10-24-2013, 10:39 PM   #26
kennyc

Thanks....idea is still hot at the moment, spent a bit more time fleshing it out, will continue to work on 'outline' etc and see if it still feels right....It has lots of options, lots of possibilities for the main story arc and as many subplots as I want to throw at it.

Last edited by kennyc; 10-24-2013 at 10:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2013, 12:33 AM   #27
crich70
Grand Sorcerer

That's what's fun about story ideas, they can go in just about any direction til the possibilities are nailed down into a storyline, and even then a new twist can appear out of the blue during the writing.
Old 10-25-2013, 10:14 AM   #28
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
That's what's fun about story ideas, they can go in just about any direction til the possibilities are nailed down into a storyline, and even then a new twist can appear out of the blue during the writing.
That happens to me all the time even with my short stories - what comes out the fingers frequently has only the vaguest resemblance to the idea that started out in my mind.

That's why I write short stories - I'd hate to tackle a novel! who knows where it would end up!
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:21 AM   #29
pendragginp
Guru
pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pendragginp ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Several
Quote:
Originally Posted by crich70 View Post
There is also "Nano, for the new and insane" by Lazette Gifford.
Is this at Amazon? I couldn't find it -
pendragginp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2013, 10:47 AM   #30
kennyc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
That happens to me all the time even with my short stories - what comes out the fingers frequently has only the vaguest resemblance to the idea that started out in my mind.

That's why I write short stories - I'd hate to tackle a novel! who knows where it would end up!
You guys should read "The Triggering Town" by Richard Hugo
http://www.amazon.com/The-Triggering.../dp/039333872X

Not necessarily about fiction but it applies to all writing IMO. Focused on the idea of what trigger/inspiration starts a piece of writing and what happens from there.