Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 01-02-2013, 01:30 PM   #496
adullday
Enthusiast
adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.adullday ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by adullday View Post
The wrong edition of The Stupidest Angel: A Heartwarming Tale of Christmas Terror, by Christopher Moore, was transferred to my B&N library. The edition I purchased, Version 2.0 (yes, it's called Version 2.0), contains a short story not in the first edition. I reported this and the Two Towers problem to Barnes and Noble and they said to be patient and the rest of my books would arrive. When I told them that the problem wasn't about missing books, but about the wrong books, they referred me to Fictionwise. Fictionwise told me to be patient and the rest of my books would arrive.
Fictionwise responded to one of my new tickets (re: the Chris Moore book). They told me that I need to call Barnes and Noble. I'm beginning to feel like a tennis ball.

Luckily this time B&N opened a support ticket and told me to expect the correct book in my library within the next week or so.

I also reported the problem many of us (all?) have been having with the Lord of the Rings being transferred as The Two Towers. The told me they were aware of the problem and working on a fix.
adullday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:04 PM   #497
cyan
Connoisseur
cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cyan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS-505, kindle, android
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnemicOak View Post
My other missing book is Hunter-Healer by Lilith Saintcrow and the book I think I got instead (since it wasn't in my FW library is How Few Remain by Harry Turtledove. They won't help me by email and say I need to call in, but I haven't had time to at this point. I have backups of the books so I'm not as motivated as I could be to call.
That's one of the non-transferable books. I made the same mistake. The link they posted http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai....asp?PID=45600 only shows some of the books. You have to click on the "Click here to see additional titles" to see the full list. That brings up a 758 page pdf! My list of missing books went down to one when I checked that list...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf FictionwiseUnmatchedTitles.pdf (4.84 MB, 14552 views)
cyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 06:29 PM   #498
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyan View Post
That's one of the non-transferable books. I made the same mistake. The link they posted http://www.barnesandnoble.com/contai....asp?PID=45600 only shows some of the books. You have to click on the "Click here to see additional titles" to see the full list. That brings up a 758 page pdf! My list of missing books went down to one when I checked that list...
I completely missed seeing that link to the PDF, thanks.

Seems really odd that that book is on the list since none of the other books from that publisher/author combo are on it (they all transferred and the publisher still has the rights to the book).

I guess that means my only messed up book is the Two Towers, just like a lot of others.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:18 PM   #499
ATimson
Evangelist
ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ATimson ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 4
That PDF was added in the last few days. (link to Google Cache version of the page from 2012-12-27 09:25:27 GMT)

Also, it looks like "only" the first 385 pages have content, the rest are mostly blank (a scattered few have publisher names that overflowed into the next column).

Last edited by ATimson; 01-02-2013 at 07:20 PM.
ATimson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:38 PM   #500
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post
That PDF was added in the last few days. (link to Google Cache version of the page from 2012-12-27 09:25:27 GMT)
That would explain why I didn't see it. It's been a while since I checked that page.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2013, 07:52 PM   #501
shanghaichica
Guru
shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.shanghaichica ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Scribe,Kindle Oasis 3, iPad Pro 11, iPhone 13 Pro Max,iPad mini 6, PW5
I have 2 books with fiction wise. They were not multi format books. They are PDB versions that I had on my iPhone and read on stanza. Is there anyway to retrieve these books? I've downloaded them to my computer and tried to liberate them with calibre without success. I have other copies of these books but would prefer to keep these ones if possible.
shanghaichica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 04:52 AM   #502
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by ATimson View Post

Also, it looks like "only" the first 385 pages have content, the rest are mostly blank (a scattered few have publisher names that overflowed into the next column).
And they've messed up the character encoding, so that any accented characters are corrupt.

However, I have extracted the text and converted it into a tab delimited file of book, author, publisher. I've attached it here. 12,233 titles in total.
Attached Files
File Type: zip Fictionwise Missing books.txt.zip (258.5 KB, 108 views)
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:27 AM   #503
PocketGoddess
Connoisseur
PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.PocketGoddess ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite, KSO, Nook, iPad
After reading today's news, I'm wondering just how bad things are at B&N. I tend to take these articles with a lot of salt, but it's exceptionally gloomy--the prospect of a near monopoly on book sales is becoming more and more likely.

While I'm still hopeful that I'll get a code and my eReader/Fictionwise books will be transferred over to my Nook library, I'm awfully glad that I have backups of just about everything.

http://bgr.com/2013/01/03/barnes-nob...alysis-280548/
PocketGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 11:40 AM   #504
pdurrant
The Grand Mouse 高貴的老鼠
pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pdurrant ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdurrant View Post
However, I have extracted the text and converted it into a tab delimited file of book, author, publisher. I've attached it here. 12,233 titles in total.
And checking against my list of fictionwise titles, I find 142 that won't transfer. The classics (Dickens, etc) won't transfer, which is fine. An peculiar number of magazine issues won't transfer, apparently.

Well, I'll just have to wait and see what really happens, as no books have yet appeared in my nook (UK) account.
pdurrant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 07:42 PM   #505
cfrizz
Wizard
cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cfrizz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung 54A, Kobo Libra H2O, Samsung S6 Lite
You all had better make sure you have all your B&N books backed up, because they are probably on their way out as well.

It's just a shame they took Fictionwise with them. Good riddance I say!
cfrizz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 08:08 PM   #506
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did get my code and my books did transfer. Even the LIT ones which I thought might not.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 09:34 PM   #507
Catlady
Grand Sorcerer
Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Catlady ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Fire, Kindle Paperwhite, AGPTek Bluetooth Clip
No code for me yet. I just spent about forty minutes (mostly on hold) with BN customer service, who are indeed idiots, as they just passed me along from one know-nothing to another until I insisted on speaking to a supervisor. Now I'm waiting for a call back. We shall see.

P.S. So ... I got the call back. And I was told that I need to contact Fictionwise. My head is going to explode.

P.P.S. Tried calling 855-654-9332, which I found earlier in the thread for BN's digital services customer support. Finally I got someone who seemed to know what he was talking about, and he said that I should get the code in 3-5 days. One thing he mentioned that I didn't know is that you can't do multiple opt-ins--if the opt-in goes through, your next attempt would not get the same page that says thanks for opting in, yada yada. None of my repeated opt-ins actually went through.

If anyone else is in the same boat--repeated attempts and no code--call that 855-654-9332 number. Otherwise you'll never the code.

Last edited by Catlady; 01-03-2013 at 10:12 PM. Reason: P.S. added; P.P.S added
Catlady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:16 PM   #508
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I did multiple opt-ins and I did receive two codes. I did not call. I was going to but received one code and it worked. Then two days later I received the same code again.
JSWolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2013, 10:45 PM   #509
aagstn
Evangelist
aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.aagstn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 3, iPad mini 2
I went ahead and called the number above yesterday and they are checking to see why my code never got my books to transfer. We will see if something happens.
aagstn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 04:59 PM   #510
GreenMonkey
DRM hater
GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.GreenMonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook ST glow, Kindle Voyage
My few books transferred OK. I had to transfer to the same email address of the account that I had with Fictionwise. Since I have two B&N accounts, that wasn't the best - my primary account is NOT the fictionwise email address, of course.

I called C.S. to see if they could merge my two accounts, of course, stock answer, nope. I couldn't get them to transfer a couple of my paid books across accounts either.

So now I have my paid Fictionwise books on one account along with a couple of B&N ones, and a couple of paid ones on the other account.

I've liberated all of them of DRM and backed up anyway, but still, it would have been nice to get the accounts straightened out.
GreenMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote