Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > Miscellaneous > Lounge

Notices

Old 06-24-2010, 11:08 PM   #1
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
ebay - does anyone here still use it?

I'm selling a reader, so I thought I'd list it on ebay. Wow. The commission they charge on a completed auction (in addition to the listing fee) is a whopping 9%! I haven't sold stuff on ebay in a couple of years, and I'm shocked they've jacked up the fees so much.

Out of curiosity, does anyone here still use ebay to sell stuff? Or is it mostly dominated by commercial sellers now?
flyash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:11 PM   #2
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PRS 420
I buy a few things off of it once in a while. I haven't sold anything on it for a while. Craigslist is sooo much nicer.
happy_terd is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-24-2010, 11:16 PM   #3
Ervserver
Wizard
Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ervserver ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook Simple Touch
I only buy stuff...not sold on Ebay for years. Too much of a pain waiting for people to pay, packing and shipping stuff
Ervserver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:27 PM   #4
AnemicOak
Bookaholic
AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.AnemicOak ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 4, AuraHD, iPhone XR +
Haven't sold anything in three or four years. Until recently when I bought a cover for my Sony I hadn't bought anything in a long time either.
AnemicOak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2010, 11:46 PM   #5
happy_terd
Banned
happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.happy_terd ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

I wonder if that 100000000000 epubs for 20 bucks is a good deal?

I am sure that they are all crappy looking public domain books, but it would still be nice to have them.
Advert
Old 06-25-2010, 12:01 AM   #6
flyash
Groupie
flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.flyash ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

ebay must lose a ton of business to Craigslist and all the various forums (as a whole) (many of the forums I'm on have marketplaces). Speaking of CL, how do they make money? I suppose ebay has already considered it would be cheaper to buy CL than leave them out there as a competitive marketplace, but that if they did so, a CL clone (e.g., Danslist) would spring up in its place.
Old 06-25-2010, 12:02 AM   #7
happy_terd
Banned

I love craiglist. Where else can you receive payment for an item then beat the guy up and get your stuff back???

(just kidding guys. )
Old 06-25-2010, 01:22 AM   #8
kindlekitten
Professional Adventuress
kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kindlekitten ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Olympic Peninsula on the OTHER Washington! (the big green clean one on the west coast!)
Device: Kindle, the original! Times Two! and gifting an International Kindle
Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post
I love craiglist. Where else can you receive payment for an item then beat the guy up and get your stuff back???

(just kidding guys. )
or murder them. there was a craigslist murder here about a month ago. very nasty. I was pretty nervous going to California and renting a room site unseen off of Craigslist. I moved 3 times down there and used it each time. there are some pretty freaky people out there
kindlekitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:31 AM   #9
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
I currently sell on eBay (as though my life... or at least keeping the barn... depended on it, and only because it does). I just became a bronze-level Power Seller. (Whoo-Hoo!) I still feel like quite a newbie at selling things. Thankfully, I haven't had any problems collecting payments for my sales. I actually kind of enjoy taking the photos and writing the descriptions. I try to have fun with it, as long as I have to do it, I might as well make it fun. Yeah, the fees are outrageous, but for the collectibles I've been selling, eBay gets the best exposure. I've used Craigslist for big, bulky, don't want to have to ship, types of sales. And I'm sure having a garage-sale is in my near future, though I'm dreading it. Maybe if I HAD a garage, it be easier to plan and set up for. Being out in the country, I'll really need to advertise to get people out here.
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 AM   #10
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
I still buy on ebay but have never sold on it. But I don't trust craigslist for...anything really. The fact I have to interact directly with a person (versus via mail) is too scary for a nice lady like me. There's just too many crazy people out there.
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:51 AM   #11
Sweetpea
Grand Sorcerer
Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sweetpea ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Pocketbook Inkpad 4 Color; Samsung Galaxy Tab S6
Never sold anything, but I have bought from ebay. Selling I've only done by use of the Dutch variety: Marktplaats (Marketplace). Not that I sell a lot (just can't stand divorcing myself from my stuff!)
Sweetpea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 01:54 AM   #12
rebarnmom
Wizard
rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rebarnmom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-700 (traded in), Sony PRS-650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetpea View Post
Never sold anything, but I have bought from ebay. Selling I've only done by use of the Dutch variety: Marktplaats (Marketplace). Not that I sell a lot (just can't stand divorcing myself from my stuff!)
I know how you feel! It's quite painful!
rebarnmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-25-2010, 02:49 AM   #13
dorino
I'm odd. Take note.
dorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-booksdorino has learned how to read e-books

Device: deceased PRS-600, Nook STR
I haven't sold anything since 05, but I buy every so often. More use of craigslist though. Good to be able to meet up and see what you're buying.
dorino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2010, 12:23 PM   #14
happy_terd
Banned

People were doing similar stuff with PS3 boxes.
Old 06-27-2010, 12:39 PM   #15
flyash
Groupie

Quote:
Originally Posted by happy_terd View Post

People were doing similar stuff with PS3 boxes.
Clearly a scam, but the judge was awful, then again, I guess it's all about the theatrics on Judge Judy.