Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-26-2016, 08:39 AM   #1
berto
berto began at the beginning.

Device: Kobo N905B
Unhappy Upgrade from 2.53 to 2.60 gives "Error Communicating with Device"

I have been running Calibre for several years now. Just today I upgraded from version 2.53 to 2.60 and immediately started getting "Error Communicating with Device" whenever I plug in my eReader. Full error message is below. Is there something I can do to resolve this?

Quote:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

list index out of range

Traceback (most recent call last):
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 503, in _books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 1411, in books
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2954, in get_debugging_title
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2797, in get_pref
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2862, in settings
File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 3084, in migrate_old_settings
IndexError: list index out of range
berto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 09:59 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
I made a lot of changes to the KoboTouch driver in the latest version of calibre. Most of them were in the configuration. The error you are seeing is in the code to migrate the configuration. Can you try opening the driver configuration? If you can, make a change to something in it and save the change. This should fix the configuration and the device should connect properly.

If this doesn't work, you will need to delete the existing configuration. This is in the file "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py" in the calibre configuration directory. Delete this when calibre is not running. Then configure the driver before connecting the device.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-26-2016, 10:48 PM   #3
berto

Thanks for your reply!

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidfor View Post
Can you try opening the driver configuration?
I'd be happy to try... but can you please give a little more direction? I am not sure where to find the relevant driver configuration. Am I looking for "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py" at this point, or is that just for the next part?

For what it's worth, I searched C:\Program Files (x86)\Calibre2 and did not find "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py" anywhere. So I am not sure if the Calibre configuration directory is somewhere else?
Old 06-26-2016, 10:54 PM   #4
eschwartz
Ex-Helpdesk Junkie
eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.eschwartz ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Location: The Beaten Path, USA, Roundworld, This Side of Infinity
Device: Kindle Touch fw5.3.7 (Wifi only)
Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Miscellaneous ==> Open calibre configuration directory
eschwartz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2016, 11:15 PM   #5
berto

Quote:
Originally Posted by eschwartz View Post
Preferences ==> Advanced ==> Miscellaneous ==> Open calibre configuration directory
Thank you!

I removed "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py" (technically, renamed it to "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py.bak") and the error went away.
Advert
Old 06-27-2016, 01:05 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
Quote:
Originally Posted by berto View Post
Thank you!

I removed "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py" (technically, renamed it to "device_drivers_KOBOTOUCH.py.bak") and the error went away.
Good. But, this will put the driver back to the default settings. If you had changed the settings before, you will need to redo that now.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote