Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre > Devices

Notices

Old 06-24-2016, 06:58 AM   #1
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Device: Kobo Sage
Error communicating with device

I have started getting this error message. Not sure if it's from my Kobo Aura, or from the new update, but I only got it this morning after updating. Of course I didn't try before the update so hard to tell

Spoiler:
Code:
calibre, version 2.60.0
ERROR: Error: Error communicating with device

database disk image is malformed

Traceback (most recent call last):
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 87, in run
  File "site-packages\calibre\gui2\device.py", line 533, in _sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 935, in sync_booklists
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2336, in update_device_database_collections
  File "site-packages\calibre\devices\kobo\driver.py", line 2592, in delete_empty_bookshelves
DatabaseError: database disk image is malformed
MerlinMama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:08 AM   #2
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo:Touch,Glo, AuraH2O, GloHD,AuraONE, ClaraHD, Libra H2O; tolinoepos
That error means the database on the device is corrupt. If you don't have a backup, you will need to sign out and back in on the device to have a new database created.
davidfor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2016, 08:51 AM   #3
MerlinMama
Evangelist
MerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beautyMerlinMama does all things with Zen-like beauty

Thanks that did help. Two questions:

Is there a particular way to do a backup, or just copy everything to a secondary location?

If I get the same error in future, do I replace all, or just the images folder?
Old 06-24-2016, 08:57 AM   #4
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer
davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.davidfor ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

The database is the file "KoboReader.sqlite" in the .kobo directory on the device. Taking a copy of that is what is needed. But, the simplest way to do the backup is to use my Kobo Utilities plugin. It has a function to backup the database each time you connect to calibre. If there is a problem, you can restore that.
Old 06-24-2016, 09:23 AM   #5
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Ok. Following that brings up another question:

Wouldn't the 'corrupt' database be what your PI backs up or are there multiple backups? Here's why I ask:

Although it proclaimed an error, Calibre still showed the device as connected. When I tried sending a book, just to check, it again brought up the error message. That's all good. When I signed out and it rebuilt the database, the book I had tried sending WAS on the device (I didn't notice it sending and it's too late to check now). To my way of thinking, the device did in some form connect to Calibre, so a backup of the corrupt database would have occurred, if I'd been using the PI.

Did that make any sense? I'm not sure anymore, I'm confusing myself LOL. I'll leave this as is for now, and hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:05 AM   #6
davidfor
Grand Sorcerer

Quote:
Originally Posted by MerlinMama View Post
Ok. Following that brings up another question:

Wouldn't the 'corrupt' database be what your PI backs up or are there multiple backups? Here's why I ask:
The backup can be set to keep a number of copies. When the backup is done, the oldest version is removed. But only after checking that the lasted backup is not corrupt. If the latest backup is corrupt, the file is renamed to include "CORRUPT" to separate it from the good backups. If you need to restore the database, you use the newest backup that is not corrupt.
Quote:
Although it proclaimed an error, Calibre still showed the device as connected. When I tried sending a book, just to check, it again brought up the error message. That's all good. When I signed out and it rebuilt the database, the book I had tried sending WAS on the device (I didn't notice it sending and it's too late to check now). To my way of thinking, the device did in some form connect to Calibre, so a backup of the corrupt database would have occurred, if I'd been using the PI.

Did that make any sense? I'm not sure anymore, I'm confusing myself LOL. I'll leave this as is for now, and hope you understand what I'm trying to say.
That is expected behaviour. The corrupt database prevents calibre from doing some things and that depends on how the database is corrupt. The driver is queries one table to work out what books are on the device. If that part of the database is corrupt, then calibre can't do this. The error you are seeing is when the driver attempts to update the series info and collections. In either case, calibre can still copy a book to the device. It cannot do the database updates, such as create collections when sending the books, but the book will be there for the device to process.
Old 06-24-2016, 10:29 AM   #7
MerlinMama
Evangelist

Great Thanks! PI downloaded...I also like that it can dismiss tiles from home screen. That alone would almost be worth it for me. I like having more than one reason for a plugin, so two major reasons and a couple of 'since I have it' reasons works for me.