Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Sigil

Notices

Old 08-07-2013, 03:19 PM   #1
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Device: Kobo Glo, Nexus 7(2013)
Book cover pictures.

Hope I have the correct forum, apologies if I haven't.

Have downloaded a few epubs from Gutenberg and other free areas. Epub, because i have a Kobo Glo. I am using Calibre to upload the epub to my Kobo Glo. The epub has a book cover picture which shows up correctly. On next or third or fourth page on my Glo, depending how much text is there, another smaller book cover picture shows up. I have tried using Sigil to edit the epub file to get rid of this second smaller book cover. However, I am having problems achieving this. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Other times editing I end up losing pages. How do I get rid of this smaller book cover picture without messing up the epub.?

Thanks in advance.
mahal48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #2
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Hope I have the correct forum, apologies if I haven't.

Have downloaded a few epubs from Gutenberg and other free areas. Epub, because i have a Kobo Glo. I am using Calibre to upload the epub to my Kobo Glo. The epub has a book cover picture which shows up correctly. On next or third or fourth page on my Glo, depending how much text is there, another smaller book cover picture shows up. I have tried using Sigil to edit the epub file to get rid of this second smaller book cover. However, I am having problems achieving this. Sometimes it works, other times it doesn't. Other times editing I end up losing pages. How do I get rid of this smaller book cover picture without messing up the epub.?

Thanks in advance.
You want to remove the IMAGE (in the Images section) , usually not the page unless the file only contains the Image.
Once the image is gone, you will show a 'Broken Image'. Put the cursor just after it and Backspace (the cleaner way is to switch to CV after placing the cursor and remove the supporting Paragraph or div)
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 03:52 PM   #3
mahal48
Connoisseur
mahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic somethingmahal48 has a certain pleonastic something

Sorry to appear slow, but, what do you mean by "switch to CV" ?

I take it by "Broken Image" you mean the square icon with question mark in it?
Old 08-07-2013, 04:24 PM   #4
Tex2002ans
Wizard
Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Tex2002ans ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Forma, Nook
Could you just directly link to the Project Gutenberg book? Then other people can take a look directly at the problem EPUB itself.
Tex2002ans is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2013, 05:38 PM   #5
theducks
Well trained by Cats
theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.theducks ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra2,Kobo Aura2v1, K4NT(Fixed: New Bat.), Galaxy Tab A
Quote:
Originally Posted by mahal48 View Post
Sorry to appear slow, but, what do you mean by "switch to CV" ?

I take it by "Broken Image" you mean the square icon with question mark in it?
Code View

and

Yes
theducks is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 08-07-2013, 06:02 PM   #6
mahal48
Connoisseur

Ok thanks, got that. Will try editing epubs tomorrow.
Old 08-13-2013, 11:33 AM   #7
mahal48
Connoisseur

Thanks, got it all working.
Old 08-17-2013, 02:40 AM   #8
WilsonSmith
WilsonSmith began at the beginning.

Device: none
I belong to multiple book directories. So firstly is would say that book cover pictures is the one mode by which you know you can enhance the look of the book that you are writing, The reader first looks at the cover and if it lures the reader then nothing can stop him to buy that book.
WilsonSmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2013, 06:31 AM   #9
Hitch
Bookmaker & Cat Slave
Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Hitch ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K2, iPad, KFire, PPW, Voyage, NookColor. 2 Droid, Oasis, Boox Note2
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilsonSmith View Post
I belong to multiple book directories. So firstly is would say that book cover pictures is the one mode by which you know you can enhance the look of the book that you are writing, The reader first looks at the cover and if it lures the reader then nothing can stop him to buy that book.
Well, not to quibble, because I certainly agree that an excellent cover is an absolute must, but trust me: either a bad blurb, a stupid author profile, or the first 1300 words of any book can easily stop me from buying a book. I see many, many pitifully-written books that have the worst LITB (Look Inside the Book) up on Amazon, which have stopped me cold in my tracks, no matter how great the cover is.

I glance at the cover, to see if it has any professionalism or care; then I read the blurb. If the blurb sucks (nothing like self-hyping: "each story is lovingly crafted and you'll enjoy...;" that's an instant no-sale), I stop there. If the author bio is dreadful, I stop there. Then, and only then, do I invest the time to read the LITB/Free Sample. If the first 1300 words contain typographical errata, grammar errors, spelling errors, punctuation errors that are clearly the result of poor writing, rather than the occasional typo...no sale. I don't care if they spent a zillion bucks on the cover, if the rest is bad: no sale.

Just my $.02. As I said, yes, a great cover is crucial; but the content is still King.

Hitch
Hitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2013, 11:18 AM   #10
Turtle91
A Hairy Wizard
Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Turtle91 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 11/X/6/iPad 1,2,Air & Air Pro/Surface Pro/Kindle PW & Fire
"Grammar? We don't need no stinking grammar!"

That really bugs me as well. Yes...my grammar sucks on occasion...but I am not a professional word-maker-person. You'd think that those who write for a living would take the time, and have the professional self-respect, to do it right.

Unfortunately, I have seen too many people in other threads right here on MR talk about how spelling/grammar/punctuation don't matter..."it's all about the story".

I think the spelling/grammar/punctuation is HOW the story is being told. If that is bad, I don't want to (can't) hear/read it...it distracts too much from my enjoyment.

Just imagine Charlie Brown's teacher reading the Lord of the Rings out loud....monotonous, dull, can't understand what is trying to be said...that would turn off even the most diehard "ringer".
Turtle91 is offline   Reply With Quote