Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > General Discussions

Notices

Old 01-30-2014, 04:13 PM   #31
Chi Cygni
秋子 permanently lurking
Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Chi Cygni ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Oasis 3, Pocketbook Era
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fluribus View Post
I never make the slightest effort. I don't see why I should. I have a bunch of fine servants ready to serve at my whim. They don't worry. They don't get impatient. Why should I?
Quote:
Originally Posted by DiapDealer View Post
Exactly!
Count me in.

I have EIGHT unread books on the kindle and altogether approx. 25 to 30 on TBR. Now I stick out like a sore thumb here I just don't collect and don't do freebies. I buy when either I feel like reading something and read immediately or when there's a big discount. Strangely enough those bargains then sit unread forever because at the time of buying I didn't feel like reading them so I try not to do that too often.

I better hide the corner. I'm a misfit even here.
Chi Cygni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 05:12 PM   #32
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I've got hundreds of TBR books - both paper and electronic. Realistically, I'll probably never read them all because I keep getting new books by authors and in genres that currently interest me.

To me, they are like having a well-stocked pantry in case of emergency.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-30-2014, 06:15 PM   #33
Deljah
Connoisseur
Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.Deljah can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Android tablet
I'll never read my entire book collection. However, I have cut back on the purchases, even the cheapies. It has to be extraordinary in some way for me to buy it now.

What I really need to do is to become more ruthless about DNFing books or skipping to the end, instead of reading most books to the sometimes bitter end.
Deljah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 06:28 PM   #34
Mivo
Fanatic
Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Mivo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: In use: Pocketbook InkPad 3, Kobo Glo, iPad Air 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deljah View Post
What I really need to do is to become more ruthless about DNFing books or skipping to the end, instead of reading most books to the sometimes bitter end.
I have been pondering this, too. Case in point, I'm currently reading The Anvil of the World, and while the novel is objectively well-written, it is in the humorous Pratchett-style of fantasy that is too heavy on comedy for my taste. Instead of just stopping two thirds through, I continue on because I "have to finish it" -- never mind that there is a large pile of novels I'm looking forward to tackle.
Mivo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2014, 09:33 PM   #35
xg4bx
Are you gonna eat that?
xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.xg4bx ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Nook STG
If I kept myself to only the books I paid for and that I genuinely want to read, my TBR is actually very manageable; I just need to buckle down and get to it.
xg4bx is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-31-2014, 02:34 AM   #36
doubleshuffle
Unicycle Daredevil
doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.doubleshuffle ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aura HD (R.I.P. After six years the USB socket died.) tolino shine 3
"George had planned his reading meticulously: he thought of the greater amount of time he would have after he retired, balanced that against gradually diminishing reading speed due to fading eyesight and an aging brain, factoring in the medical history of his parents and grandparents; he then proceeded to make a list of all the books he wanted - and would manage - to read during the rest of his life, put those books in the perfect order and commenced reading in the sweet certainty that he would draw his last breath just after finishing Moby-Dick, the crowning glory of his list. Hence, when a cable broke on a helicopter that was carrying a whale which then crashed through George's roof and killed him just before he could find out whether Ahab got the whale or the whale got Ahab, our hero - deplorably yet all too understandably - was too irritated to get the clue hidden in God's little joke and spent eternity being royally pissed off about never finding out."
doubleshuffle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 06:25 AM   #37
Apache
Readaholic
Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Apache ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Surface Pro 6 / Galaxy Tab A 8"
Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.
I too am in HarryT's camp.
Apache
Apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:22 AM   #38
Katsunami
Grand Sorcerer
Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Katsunami ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KPW1, KA1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Any one else making a serious effort to finish their TBRs?
I never had a backlog of more than one series when reading on paper. Now I've got a backlog of 487 ebooks (mainly caused by many Forgotten Realms novels). There are also 23 Delphi Classics that, sometimes, contain a lot of novels per book/omnibus.

I buy the books I want at sales, and I often pay less than $1 for each of them. Also, I buy in sprees. In January, I've bought nothing. At some point there may be sale, or a huge reusable Kobo coupon, and I'll buy 50 books again.

Therefore, I stopped caring about the TBR pile: I see Calibre as my own personal library that is about 10 miles away. After I finish the current series on my e-reader, I open Calibre, find something new to read, put it on the reader, and close Calibre again.

At this point in time, I'm obviously still within the "I can read everything I own" range, if I don't count the Delphi Classics. I buy them because they were cheap, complete, and often contained stuff like stories and illustrations that are not available anywhere else. For example, I bought the Sir Arthur Conan Doyle one because then, I'll have a fully illustrated Sherlock Holmes and Challenger set, and the book Through the Magic Door. I never intended to read the entire omnibus.

Quote:
Originally Posted by HarryT View Post
I stand no realistic chance of being able to read even a significant fraction of the eBooks I've bought within my lifetime. I too am continuing to buy more books than I read, despite having a list of unread books that numbers in the thousands.
If you are beyond the point of ever reading what you own now, then why do you still buy more books? You wouldn't have done so if they were paper books, probably; just for building a library so you can always find something to read?
Katsunami is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 08:58 AM   #39
pagansoul
Fanatic
pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pagansoul ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone5, iPad Gen3, Kobo, Kindle Fire, Kobo Vox. Samsung Galaxy Tab 7
I am currently reading 3 books at the same time.
1) Atlantis Gene by AG Riddle (book 1 of 2 purchased on Amazon for $4 & $5)
2) The Con Man by Ed McBain (purchased as a special on 87th Precinct of what boils down to 36 books for $40)
3) Emerald Sea by John Ringo (Free Baen ebook, just started).
I have thousands in my 'to be read' collection and I don't expect to ever finish.
pagansoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 09:12 AM   #40
leanansidhe
Faerie Godmother
leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.leanansidhe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: K3, Kobo Mini
I only buy the books I'm going to read immediately, but the list of books I want to try (along with series' I have to finish) is pretty big. I don't think I'll ever catch up as I add more books every week to the list. There's always a new author I want to try or an old one that released another book that I'm interested in. There will always be books on my list.
leanansidhe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 10:10 AM   #41
jersysman
Wizard
jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.jersysman ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: T1 Red, Kindle Fire, Kindle PW, PW2, Nook HD+, Kobo Mini, Aura HD
My TBR list continues to grow, although it did slow down considerably this past year. I stopped worrying whether or not I will be able to complete all the books in my list. I am just enjoying the ones that I am reading. at the present time.
jersysman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:30 PM   #42
4691mls
Wizard
4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.4691mls ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: ALL DEVICES ARE STOCK: Kobo Clara, Tolino Shine 2, Sony PRS-T3, T1
Quote:
Originally Posted by crossi View Post
Libraries are different. I feel guilty buying more books when I have a large bunch I've already paid $3 to $8 dollars for. I've some free classics I'll probably never get around to but since I didn't pay for them it doesn't bother me that I'll probably never read them.

I've been putting a lot of books on my wishlist instead of buying them. I'm only buying the ones I'm planning on reading right away or that are too good a bargain to miss. A lot of the ones on my wishlist drop in price and those emails from ereaderiq are slowing my progress on getting through my TBR list. What hurts is when an author drops the price on a whole bunch of their books all at the same time. To buy or not to buy? If I like an author I really do like to have all of their books.
This is what I do also. I figure there's no point in spending my money until I'm ready to read the book.
4691mls is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 01:49 PM   #43
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 4691mls View Post
This is what I do also. I figure there's no point in spending my money until I'm ready to read the book.
There are some offers too good to miss. Eg last month I bought 18 books in Bernard Cornwall's "Sharpe" series because Amazon UK were selling them for 99p each. Normal price for the Kindle edition is £3.77 each.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 02:55 PM   #44
Yolina
Wizard
Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Yolina ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Voyage
I have 200 or so in my TBR pile which is about a year's worth of reading for me, so I guess it's fairly reasonable I keep adding to it though and also have a large list price-tracked on ereader iq.
Yolina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2014, 03:59 PM   #45
Xanthe
Plan B Is Now In Force
Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Xanthe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Aluratek,Sony 350/T1,Pandigital,eBM 911,Nook HD/HD+,Fire HDX 7/8.9,PW2
I really racked up the paperbacks when Amazon was running those 4-for-3 paperback sales for all those years.
Xanthe is offline   Reply With Quote