Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 01-07-2012, 03:04 PM   #1
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350, K3-3G, K4SO, KPW
Audio books on the K3

My dad is doing a kindle demo for his computer club next month, and he wanted to show off the music and audiobook playing capacity. I play my audible books on my iPod loaded through iTunes, rather than on my Kindle, so I don't know how it's done.

Is the Audiobook directory on the K3 strictly for books from Audible.com? or can you load audiobooks in other formats there? and if so, what format? (I've got a CD of War of the Worlds that for "file type" just lists Audio CD Track, whatever that means). Can one import the tracks from non-MP3 audio books and have them play?

If one converts the tracks to mp3, do they have to go in the Music directory? and if so, how do you determine the play order of the tracks? I understand that the music controls are rudimentary at best.

Thanks for any help I can get on this.
BeccaPrice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:16 PM   #2
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 3; Kobo Aura One; iPad Mini 5
You can place any MP3 file into the Audible directory. They do not have to go into the Music folder. They also don't have to be audiobooks from Audible.

I have CD's of audiobooks. I use iTunes to rip the CD's into a collection MP3 format files so that I can then listen to them on my iPod. I would use a similar program to do that with the War of the Worlds CD.

Hope that helps!
Bookworm_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 03:19 PM   #3
HarryT
eBook Enthusiast
HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HarryT ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis 2, iPad Pro 10.5", iPhone 6
The Kindle is an astoundingly bad audio player. I'd honestly suggest that you advise your dad not to bother demonstrating it. The Kindle has many excellent features, but the audio player does not number among them.
HarryT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 03:33 PM   #4
Barbara1955
Non-Techy
Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Barbara1955 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Samsung Cell Phone & Amazon Fires & Kobo eReaders
AudioBooks take up too much space! I use a Sansa Clip to play mine.
Barbara1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2012, 04:58 PM   #5
BeccaPrice
Wizard
BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BeccaPrice ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks all for the information. My mom wants to be able to play audiobooks from the library (not the downloadable ones) - she wouldn't have too many on her kindle, just one at a time.

Bookworm Girl, thanks for that information - I thought the audible folder was for Audible.com books only.

Now - any suggestions for software to convert library audio books to mp3 format? I use iTunes, but I'm not sure whether that would be too confusing for my parents (they're almost 90, but pretty technically savvy, or at least my dad is. He's become the resident Kindle expert for his retirement community!)
Advert
Old 01-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #6
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast
Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Bookworm_Girl ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Do you know what service your mom's library uses for audiobooks? Is it Overdrive? What do you mean by "not the downloadable one"?

I download audiobooks from my library with the Overdrive Media Console. If the books are in MP3 format, then it stores the files on your hard-drive in the folder "Documents/My Media/MP3 Audiobooks". At least that's the file path on a Mac. I would guess the Windows file path is similar.

EDIT: Had a thought.... By not the downloadable ones do you mean she borrows CD's from her library? Couldn't she use iTunes to rip them into MP3 files?
Old 01-07-2012, 06:09 PM   #7
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by BeccaPrice View Post
I use iTunes, but I'm not sure whether that would be too confusing for my parents (they're almost 90, but pretty technically savvy, or at least my dad is. He's become the resident Kindle expert for his retirement community!)
I missed this comment before. That's awesome that your dad is sharing the Kindle knowledge! My mom was able to figure out iTunes on her own. She does the same thing. Gets audiobook CD's from the library and then puts them on her iPod. The hard part is probably finding the file path where they are stored to copy them over to the Kindle directory. You could probably help them since you use iTunes too.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:15 PM   #8
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bookworm_Girl View Post
By not the downloadable ones do you mean she borrows CD's from her library? Couldn't she use iTunes to rip them into MP3 files?
yeah, I figure she'll get CDs from her library and need to convert them to mp3 for her kindle.

I use iTunes to do that (only I put them on my iPod) - I'm not sure my folks are up to dealing with iTunes though, unless there's not an easier way to do it.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:17 PM   #9
Bookworm_Girl
E-reader Enthusiast

Since I have a Mac and have always used iTunes for my music files, I'm not sure what to suggest as an easy program to use, especially for Windows software. Maybe someone else will have some ideas for you.
Old 01-07-2012, 06:18 PM   #10
BeccaPrice
Wizard

Bookworm Girl, I suspect there will be a lot of back and forth technical support for dealing with iTunes - we'll see whether my dad feels the work will be worth it.

On the other hand, I'm glad Mom is getting into audio books. She has been using TTS when it's available, but I think she'll like the performance aspect of audiobooks better.

I've told them I'll give them my password to my Audible library, but so far they haven't wanted to deal with that. What I'd like to do is run down to their house, and set things up for them, both with iTunes and Audible, but SE Michigan to Mesa AZ isn't a day trip.
Old 01-07-2012, 09:02 PM   #11
ApK
Award-Winning Participant
ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ApK ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle
One good thing about Audible.com books on the Kindle is the one-touch wireless delivery. I don't think there is an easier way to get an Audible.com book on any mobile device. That alone might be worth a demo to the senior set.
ApK is offline   Reply With Quote