Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-06-2011, 10:42 AM   #1
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Amazon Fire 8", Kindle 6"
Go to Furthest Read page?

I'm sure there is a simple answer to this, but I'm tearing my hair out trying to find the answer. Searching this wonderful forum, and via Google have revealed no answers, and neither does the Kindle Guide, so here goes...

How do I go to the furthest read page in a book I am reading? Seemingly simple, but it seems unless I know the location number, I can't do this. I can go to the last page read, but that's not the same thing.

Say I have gone back a chapter or two to reread a section, there doesn't seem to be any way to go to the furthest point I have read up to again. If I try to go to last page read, it just takes me the place I have just been to.

I know Whispersync provides something along these lines, but what if the book was not d/l'd from Amazon (I am reading a book I got from Feedbooks at the moment), or if I'm out of WiFi range

Can someone put me out of my misery...?
orlok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 11:15 AM   #2
TheKindleWorm
Guru
TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.TheKindleWorm can program the VCR without an owner's manual.

Device: Kindle 3G, iPhone 3G, iPod 4G, PB 360, Sony 600 sold, Kindle 2i sold
Yes you can sync to the furthest page read across all the devices you have (say Kindle for PC / Your Kindle / iPhone etc) but yes that requires wifi or 3g access and only works out-of-the-box with Amazon book purchases.

I would probably add a bookmark (alt + B) if I wanted to go and re-read earlier chapters so I had a way to easily find my way back to the furthest point - Menu / view notes and marks

You might also be able to press your Back button (once or multiple times) to get back to where you where.
TheKindleWorm is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 11:19 AM   #3
dwig
Wizard
dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dwig ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Current:Surface Go & Kindle 3 - Retired: DellV8p, Clie UX50, ...
The only bookmark that the Kindle automatically creates is the "last page read" bookmark. It keeps no record of the "furthest page read".

If you want to jump back to read something and then return to your "furthest page read" you need to manually create a bookmark (Menu > Create a Bookmark) before you leave that furthest page. You can then return to your furthest read page by accessing your bookmarks (Menu > View My Notes & Marks)
dwig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2011, 12:25 PM   #4
orlok
Close to the Edit!
orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.orlok ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Thanks guys, it's what I thought. I just remember the MS Lit reader having the furthest page read option, which seems an obvious feature. Time to email Amazon feedback (again...).
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #5
silasgreenback
New Leaf Turner
silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.silasgreenback ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Glo
Quote:
Originally Posted by orlok View Post
Thanks guys, it's what I thought. I just remember the MS Lit reader having the furthest page read option, which seems an obvious feature. Time to email Amazon feedback (again...).
In the newest update of Calibre, (7.44) syncing furthest page read works with non-Amazon books.

http://calibre-ebook.com/whats-new

I converted a book last night and noticed when I hit the menu button. I didn't do anything special as far as what's listed on Calibre's page.

I never use the sync feature, and if I need to, I just use TheKindleWorm's method(s).

Last edited by silasgreenback; 02-06-2011 at 01:11 PM. Reason: Clarity
silasgreenback is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-06-2011, 01:07 PM   #6
CuriousGrrl
Kindle lover/Linux user
CuriousGrrl began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 2i
Kindle _does_ support "Furthest Page Read". People have reported "problems" with it working a little too well (for example if they share an account with a spouse who has finished a book, the other user can sync to a page early on in the book because Furthest Page Read is the end of the book).

Also, the latest version of Calibre (v0.7.44) can save the proper metadata into any .mobi file that will allow Amazon to sync "Furthest Page Read" data for non-Amazon books. If you are importing a .mobi file, you will have to "convert" it to .mobi to get the extra metadata. If you are converting a file to .mobi, the meta data is added automatically. Note that you cannot customize the ASIN field (so "Book Description" menu item on Kindle, from within the book, won't work properly).
CuriousGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2011, 05:06 AM   #7
orlok
Close to the Edit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CuriousGrrl View Post
Kindle _does_ support "Furthest Page Read". People have reported "problems" with it working a little too well (for example if they share an account with a spouse who has finished a book, the other user can sync to a page early on in the book because Furthest Page Read is the end of the book).

Also, the latest version of Calibre (v0.7.44) can save the proper metadata into any .mobi file that will allow Amazon to sync "Furthest Page Read" data for non-Amazon books. If you are importing a .mobi file, you will have to "convert" it to .mobi to get the extra metadata. If you are converting a file to .mobi, the meta data is added automatically. Note that you cannot customize the ASIN field (so "Book Description" menu item on Kindle, from within the book, won't work properly).
Thanks for this - I've been copying the .mobi files directly onto my Kindle without converting via Calibre, so I'll give that a try.

Do I assume correctly that I would then use the Sync to Furthest Page Read menu option to then get me back to my furthest reading position, even though I don't have Whispersync enabled?
Old 02-08-2011, 03:40 AM   #8
hedwig
Book Worm
hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.hedwig can grok the meaning of the universe.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, iPad Air, iPad Mini, iPod Touch 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by dwig View Post
If you want to jump back to read something and then return to your "furthest page read" you need to manually create a bookmark (Menu > Create a Bookmark) before you leave that furthest page. You can then return to your furthest read page by accessing your bookmarks (Menu > View My Notes & Marks)
Thanks for the info everyone.
I was just wondering how to go about flipping backwards and forwards like in a pbook and I wouldn't have thought of the bookmark function without you all.
hedwig is offline   Reply With Quote