Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle

Notices

Old 02-05-2010, 04:10 PM   #1
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
To all you Kindle Owners....

I just bought a sony 900 yesterday and so far I love it. The prices in the Kindle store seem soooo much better though! I still have time to return if I choose so I just wanted some feedback from those of you with Kindles that have been using them for a while and shop the Amazon store as opposed to others.

Do you have the capability to shop other ebook stores?

Can you view news feeds such as PC World, Mac World, etc. as I can on my Sony with Calibre?

Im very new to the whole ebook device thing! I have researched and researched before making my decision. WAs going to purchase Dear John this morning to read and the difference in price was like $6!!!! $9.99 on Sony and everything else and about $4 on Amazon!

Do you use your text-to-speech often?

What other feature do you like on the Kindle ?

Why did you go with Kindle and not another device despite the DRM issues ?

Thanks!
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:17 PM   #2
Terisa de morgan
Grand Sorcerer
Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Terisa de morgan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Clara/Aura One/Forma,XiaoMI 5, iPad, Huawei MediaPad, YotaPhone 2
Quote:
Originally Posted by parias1126 View Post
Can you view news feeds such as PC World, Mac World, etc. as I can on my Sony with Calibre?
Think what you say: with Calibre. The same works for all devices supported by Calibre. It isn't a Sony feature.

Quote:
Sony has its own DRM issues (called DRM), almost all the books have them.

By the way, I don't have Kindle but I shop there some books for my cybook
Terisa de morgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 04:46 PM   #3
Pardoz
Which side are you on?
Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.Pardoz once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 2 Int'l
Quote:
Do you have the capability to shop other ebook stores?
Yep.

Quote:
calibre is OS- and reader-agnostic. It doesn't care if you're exporting your feeds to read on a Sony, a Kindle, a Nook, or any of the eleventy-three trillion variants that were announced last CES.

Quote:
I've found I've been using it more than I expected to with the cold weather - I turn on TTS and listen to my book while I walk to the tram stop on my way in to work. Once I'm on the tram I may leave TTS on or switch back to reading - depends on how crowded it is.

Quote:
The Web access (Wikipedia in particular) has turned out to be unexpectedly handy - I kept using it while reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy, found it useful to fill in bits of late 20th Century Swedish politics I wasn't up on.

Quote:
DRM issues? What's DRM? Oh, you mean the stuff that makes some books take 5 seconds longer to add to calibre, which I have set up with a plugin to strip Mobi DRM automagically?

You're going to have to deal with DRM issues regardless, at least if you want to shop at any of the big stores, and if they all institute new, uncrackable DRM tomorrow Amazon will likely continue to have a bigger selection than the Adobe stores or the upcoming Apple store. In the meantime, for the odd book I can't find at Amazon (or that I find elsewhere cheaper - if you're price-conscious, check out Inkmesh and Add-All) it's easy enough to disinfect, load into calibre, and convert.

Ultimately my decision to buy a Kindle was driven by the feel of the device itself in my hands, honestly. I hate touch-screens, and I really like the big, conveniently-placed, previous/next page buttons on the Kindle, which are the "interface" I deal with 95% of the time, after all. The keyboard is nice when doing searches in the text or on the Web, and for doing annotations and making notes.
Pardoz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 04:57 PM   #4
susan_cassidy
Wizard
susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.susan_cassidy ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, iPad (not used much for reading)
You can buy ebooks for Kindle from stores with non-DRM Mobipocket format, like Multiformat books at Fictionwise, all the books at Baen Books (www.webscription.net), Smashwords, etc. I buy quite a few from Baen, and a few from Fictionwise.
susan_cassidy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:18 PM   #5
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
What everyone else said. I know how to deal with DRM, so there is no format I can't convert (except LRX but that's been phased out anyway).

When I when I was looking to purchase my K1, I didn't know about other ebook readers but I am researcher when it comes to big purchases. I Googled myself silly (well not myself but the Kindle) and I learned about other ebook readers. At the time I decided to go with either the Kindle 1 or the Sony 505... Amazon's content and pricing won out and I have never regretted my purchase. I went on to buy 2 Kindle 2s and recently added a 505 to my collection. I really like the 505 but I still mostly read the Kindle 2... I just prefer it.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 02-05-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
fugazied
Wizard
fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.fugazied once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: iPod Touch
I occaisionally read magazines on my Kindle, but imo greyscale detracts from the experience.

I've probably used it 5-6 times while using Kindles.

Screen quality is great, I can read for hours. The UI is also pretty good, it doesn't crash, the battery life is great.

Very simple - price of Kindle ebooks. You can strip the DRM on Kindle books (which imo is essential, so you have backups).

They are great readers, but I'm moving on soon to an iPad simply because I am an avid comic reader. I have only briefly used the Sony e-readers, but if somone came to me asking about dedicated e-readers I would happily recommend Kindle.
fugazied is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 05:54 PM   #7
Momo_Germany
Connoisseur
Momo_Germany began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle3 (great!!) +DX, Sony PRS-505,-700,-600 (dislike!), iPad
Hi parias1126,

For nearly one year I went with Sony-devices. I started with PRS-505, which I still somehow like, then tried out the PRS-700 and the PRS-600 and was absolutely unhappy with the screen and note-taking-function.

Since about one week I own a KindleDX international now and I really LOVE it. As said above: the touchscreens of the Sony PRS-600 and PRS-700 have never been the right thing for me, I didn't like the bad contrast due to the touchscreen, the fingerprints etc.

Now the KindleDX is perfect for me: I love the big size, the wonderful screen (even better than the screen of the PRS-505), the note-taking-function, the very easy way to download books directly wirelessly, no matter where I am, the great function to receive newspapers and magazines wirelessly, the dictionary and I also love the text-to-speech-function.

My English is far away from being perfect and it helps a lot to read an English ebook and listen to it at the same time.

I would never change my KindleDX against one of the Sony readers again - at least not until they might come out with something for me even better, but I don't think they'll give-up their way to create touchscreen-readers, which simply isn't the best choice for me.

DRM on the Sony-devices in my opinion is even worse than the AmazonDRM is. Many of my friends had to give up, trying to get their devices autorized with ADE etc., etc.

So many reasons for me to decide for the KindleDX, although here in Europe shopping of books in German language so far would be better at the shops, offering EPUB-books, as most of the German publishers decided for this standard so far.

Greetings from Germany,
Momo
Momo_Germany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:32 PM   #8
ficbot
Wizard
ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ficbot ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite/iOS Kindle App
I haven't bought anything from the Kindle store yet except a dictionary. I buy from Fictionwise, Sony and KKobo then 'liberate.' When Kindle for Mac comes out and I can get these books de-drm'd, I may start buying Kindle books too.

I have a Sony 505 and what prompted me to upgrade was the desire for an on-board dictionary in a language other than English, and the text to speech feature. I have used both of these extensively since I got the Kindle and am very happy with my purchase.
ficbot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #9
Sydney's Mom
Wizard
Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Sydney's Mom ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Oasis, Fire 3d Gen and 5th Gen and Samsung Tab S
I was not nearly as thoughtful as Daffy - a client told me the kindle was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I googled it, found out Oprah thought that, too, and I bought it. The feature I like the best, and I like it a lot better in the newer kindle, is the dictionary. All those words I never bothered to learn the precise meaning of, because I could get close enough through context, were now just a click away.

I only buy about 1/3 of my books from Amazon - mostly the more expensive, current fiction. Everything else comes from other ebook sites, or the library. The Sony lets you read library books without any extra steps, and I would see that as its biggest advantage.
Sydney's Mom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 03:32 AM   #10
parias1126
parias1126 began at the beginning.

Device: Sony Daily Edition 900
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
I was not nearly as thoughtful as Daffy - a client told me the kindle was the greatest thing since sliced bread, and I googled it, found out Oprah thought that, too, and I bought it. The feature I like the best, and I like it a lot better in the newer kindle, is the dictionary. All those words I never bothered to learn the precise meaning of, because I could get close enough through context, were now just a click away.

I only buy about 1/3 of my books from Amazon - mostly the more expensive, current fiction. Everything else comes from other ebook sites, or the library. The Sony lets you read library books without any extra steps, and I would see that as its biggest advantage.
Thanks for the response! Is that YOUR Kindle in the pic? Where did you get your skin? Is that an Istyles skin on your Kindle? Looks great!
parias1126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:24 AM   #11
johndoesecond
Connoisseur
johndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it isjohndoesecond knows what time it is

Device: Kindle DX, Kindle 4, Kindle PW2
deleted

Last edited by johndoesecond; 02-06-2010 at 08:34 AM. Reason: deleted
johndoesecond is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 06:48 AM   #12
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pardoz View Post
I kept using it while reading Stieg Larsson's Millenium trilogy, found it useful to fill in bits of late 20th Century Swedish politics I wasn't up on.
The Millenium trilogy, now that's a good series. It's been an immensely success first the books and now the films. Glad to see some Swedish authors making it outside of Sweden.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:06 AM   #13
thinkpad
David
thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.thinkpad ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle, E.Edge (sold), Irex Iliad (retired)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sydney's Mom View Post
The feature I like the best, and I like it a lot better in the newer kindle, is the dictionary. All those words I never bothered to learn the precise meaning of, because I could get close enough through context, were now just a click away.
I must agree the dictionary is priceless. Especially for me since my native language is not English. Reading the Temeraire series by Naomi Novik I stumbled across words on every page I didn't know. The dictionary helped me through and I came out on the other end with a whole bunch of new words in my vocabulary.

One feature that would top it all off would be if the TTS could pronounce the word for you in the same moment you look it up in the dictionary.
thinkpad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 07:58 AM   #14
kennyc
The Dank Side of the Moon
kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.kennyc ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle2; Kindle Fire
Hey parias1126 - Welcome. I have a Sony 505, 900 and Kindle2 and have also had the Astak Pocket Pro. My favorite for just reading is the 505 - it has the best display, but I love the prices at Amazon -- which is why I bought the Kindle2. This was before Kindle4PC though. If you are simply looking for access to the Amazon store then K4PC may be the way to go if you are willing to get up to speed on drm-stripping and conversion (Calibre works great).

The thing I like most about the kindle is the navigation and I typically read news on it but read novels and non-fiction books on my Sony (900 mostly the last couple of weeks).

I do not use Text to Speech -- if I were into that I've just buy audio books as that reading and voice is much more pleasing.

I love my 900 btw, but the kindle2 is no slouch either and the as I said the display on the 505 is still the best I've seen for eInk.
kennyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2010, 09:45 AM   #15
daffy4u
I'm Super Kindle-icious
daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.daffy4u ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: KDXG, KT, Oasis
Quote:
Originally Posted by thinkpadx View Post
One feature that would top it all off would be if the TTS could pronounce the word for you in the same moment you look it up in the dictionary.
That's a great idea, you should submit the suggestion to Amazon.
daffy4u is offline   Reply With Quote