Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 06-28-2009, 02:06 PM   #1
kerry431
Enthusiast
kerry431 began at the beginning.

Device: 505
Thriller Recomendations

I have started doing a lot of reading since I got my 505 and have really enjoyed the "Lee Child" books with "Jack Reacher" (I am about half way through the series now) and also "Harlen Coben's Myron Boitar series". (about half way through that one two)
I am really happy to have so many books to go through.

Does anybody have a reccomendation along the same lines? I also have read a few of "Vince Flynn" and have enjoyed them as well.
kerry431 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 04:45 PM   #2
Brainphart
Compost Power
Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.Brainphart goes to eleven.

Device: Nook ST-1 Sony Reader PRS500(retired but still kicking)
John Connolly's Charlie Parker Series is excellent.
Brainphart is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 06-28-2009, 05:20 PM   #3
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
If you like Le Child and Vince Flynn, you'd surely like Nelson Demille. Ditto Michael Connelly and Jon Sandford. Also John D Macdonald's Travis McGee series from teh 70s and 80s.

Also, try this author mapping web site (http://www.literature-map.com/) You type in an author's name, hit return and it creates a chart of similar authors; the closer they are to the name you entered, the more like him they are.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2009, 09:38 PM   #4
kerry431
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post
If you like Le Child and Vince Flynn, you'd surely like Nelson Demille. Ditto Michael Connelly and Jon Sandford. Also John D Macdonald's Travis McGee series from teh 70s and 80s.

Also, try this author mapping web site (http://www.literature-map.com/) You type in an author's name, hit return and it creates a chart of similar authors; the closer they are to the name you entered, the more like him they are.
Thanks for the suggestions I had read all of John D Macdonald's books years ago and did like them a lot. I will take a look at the ones so far mentioned.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:40 PM   #5
kerry431
Enthusiast

Quote:
Originally Posted by cassidym View Post

I really like this author mapping web site, I think I am going to get a lot of use out of it. Thanks
Advert
Old 06-29-2009, 01:30 AM   #6
Leep
Guru
Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Leep ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle1, K3, K3G (thanks MR), iTouch, Kindle Touch
Authors that I like who write along similiar lines are: Michael Connelly; Phillip Margolin; James Grippando; and the Lawrence Block Scudder series.

cheers
Leep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:49 AM   #7
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
How about Thriller by Micheal Jackson?

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-29-2009 at 02:27 PM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 01:51 AM   #8
JSWolf
Resident Curmudgeon
JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JSWolf ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Libra 2, Kobo Aura H2O, PRS-650, PRS-T1, nook STR, PW3
I have read some of W.E.B. Griffin's books and find them quite good.

Presidential Agent
1. By Order of the President (2004)
2. The Hostage (2005)

There are three more in this series and he has a lot of other books that I hope to someday read as well.

Last edited by JSWolf; 06-29-2009 at 01:54 AM.
JSWolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 12:38 PM   #9
kerry431
Enthusiast

thanks all, I will take a look at all of these.
Old 06-29-2009, 01:13 PM   #10
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Some good suggestions here, as a Child and Coben fan. Also try Brad Thor's 'Scot Harvath' novels and David Baldacci's (e.g. 'Camel Club' series).
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #11
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Robert Ludlum is one of my favourites. The Bourne trilogy is good as are most of the others from him, I have read most of his books. There are some newer books which are written by authors using some of his characters. For example Eric Von Lustbader took over the Bourne series and I couldn't really get into his interpretation.

Brad Thor is good too. I just read his first book in his "Harvath" series.

I recently read a new author to me, Tom Cain and his first novel The Accident Man. I really enjoyed it as well.

Also I enjoyed Brian Haig's Sean Drummond series, I think I have read three of them. Along the lines of Nelson Demille's offerings.

Also the previously mentioned John Sandford and Nelson Demille are two of my favourites.

There are many more I am likely not remembering at the moment but that should get you started.

Hope you find something you like!

Kevin
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 11:52 AM   #12
Penforhire
Wizard
Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Penforhire ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Voyage & iPhone 7+
Speaking of Lustbader, his 'White Ninja' series is an excellent Reacher-like character and many of his other novels are fun thrillers too.

While I am a huge Ludlum fan (read every book he wrote), Lustbader has a better grip on writing physical confrontations. Ludlum's action descriptions were always weak to me but the thriller-plotting made up for it.
Penforhire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 01:12 PM   #13
ould
Zealot
ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.ould ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony PRS-500
Maybe I will have to give Lustbader another chance. I only read the first Bourne book he did and just couldn't get into it, I did finish it but remember not enjoying it. Maybe I will try this White Ninja series.
ould is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2009, 02:56 PM   #14
kerry431
Enthusiast

Wow, lots of good stuff to try. Thanks a lot everybody I am making a note of all of them.
Old 07-01-2009, 08:47 PM   #15
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penforhire View Post
Some good suggestions here, as a Child and Coben fan. Also try Brad Thor's 'Scot Harvath' novels and David Baldacci's (e.g. 'Camel Club' series).
I notice that Sony has the four book Brad Thor Harvath collection for $15.95, (here http://ebookstore.sony.com/bundle/th...00000000053145). That seems like a good deal. Agree?
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote