Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > Reading Recommendations

Notices

Old 05-23-2014, 12:52 PM   #1
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Comforting Reads Please

I'm in need of comforting fiction ebooks. Lots of bad things have happened recently, the worst of which was the 'going missing' of two of my cats, Fred and George. I've searched hard for them, put leaflets through doors, put them on lost cat websites, but I've only had a few vague sightings of Fred.

It's coming up to two months since they went and I feel miserable.

I'm looking for something like P.G. Wodehouse, but in the public domain or free via Creative Commons; maybe very low priced ones from Amazon. They also need to be available in either mobi (or one of the other kindle formats) or text.

Books in which nothing really bad happens and which have touches of humour. I'm not sure about romance, but please feel free to recommend those if they might help.

Thanks lots everyone.

Last edited by BookCat; 05-23-2014 at 12:54 PM.
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2014, 07:54 PM   #2
MickeyC
Grand Sorcerer
MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.MickeyC ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPhone 6 plus, Sony T1, iPad 3
The Rosie Project by Graeme Simsion; a real giggle of a read.

Dog On It by Spencer Quinn. Who-done-it written not by the detective but by his dog

Last edited by MickeyC; 05-24-2014 at 01:30 PM.
MickeyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-23-2014, 08:05 PM   #3
cadele
Addict
cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.cadele ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindles, Sony 650
Oh, I hope your kitties come home soon!

If you are thinking of Wodehouse, perhaps Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome might be good. I am fairly sure it is available on Gutenberg.

One of my comfort reads is Wind in the Willows (perhaps it is the boats!).
cadele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 05:26 AM   #4
owly
Guru
owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.owly ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Kobo Aura H2O
If you like Fantasy, Terry Pratchett's Discworld series, start with "Colour of magic"
owly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 07:58 AM   #5
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Little Fuzzie by H. Beam Piper
The Grand Sophie and Frederica by Georgette Heyer (Classic Regencies )
The Changeling Sea by Patricia McKillip
The Witches of Karres by James Schmitz
James White Hospital Station series starting with Beginning Operations
Don Quixote, USA by Richard Powell
The Secret Garden and Little Lord Fauntleroy by Francis Burnett
Another vote for Terry Pratchett
Elizabeth Peter's Crocodile on the Sandbank
The 5 Miss Seeton books by Heron Carvic (paper only but your library might have them)
A Nameless Witch by A. Martinez

Last edited by crossi; 05-24-2014 at 08:20 AM.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-24-2014, 09:39 AM   #6
elemenoP
Wizard
elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.elemenoP ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite, Sony 650
+1 for the Rosie Project. I was struggling with depression this winter and that book was the only thing that cheered me up! Seems to be permanently $1.99 on Kindle too.

I'm sorry to hear about your kitties.

eP
elemenoP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 10:17 AM   #7
~Kate
Connoisseur
~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.~Kate ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Paperwhite 2, Fire HDX 8.9, Nexus 7 2013
and +2 for the Rosie Project.

Last edited by ~Kate; 05-24-2014 at 02:04 PM.
~Kate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 01:21 PM   #8
BookCat
C L J
BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.BookCat ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony e-reader 505, Kindle PW2, Kindle PW3, Kobo Libra2
Thanks for the suggestions, please keep them coming, especially pd or books which Amazon is offering for free.
At the moment I'm reading a romance which was offered free when I downloaded it: The Wanted Bride. It's about a runaway bride who escapes to a small town. Worth reading for those who like romance, though it's no longer free.

P.S. I'm keeping away from books about cats; they just upset me
BookCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-24-2014, 02:41 PM   #9
issybird
o saeclum infacetum
issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.issybird ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: H2O, Aura One, PW5
I don't have a specific recommendation, but given your constraints of free and Kindle, have you checked out the offerings at Girlebooks? There seem to be many pleasant reads among the free titles, some even amusing (e.g., Edna Ferber's Roast Beef, Medium). The books are always nicely formatted with attractive covers and available in all formats.
issybird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 09:19 AM   #10
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: iPad Mini 2 64 gb, Nook Glowlight, iPad 4 (128 gb)
I second the recommendation of Girlebooks, especially Anne of Green Gables (and sequels) by L.M. Montgomery.

Quote:
Originally Posted by issybird View Post
I don't have a specific recommendation, but given your constraints of free and Kindle, have you checked out the offerings at Girlebooks? There seem to be many pleasant reads among the free titles, some even amusing (e.g., Edna Ferber's Roast Beef, Medium). The books are always nicely formatted with attractive covers and available in all formats.
dandelioncottage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:46 PM   #11
sqdancer
Guru
sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.sqdancer ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony T2 T3, Kobo Glo, AuraHD, H2O, GloHD, Clara, Libra2, Kindle NT PW4
Quote:
Originally Posted by dandelioncottage View Post
especially Anne of Green Gables (and sequels) by L.M. Montgomery.
I don't know that I'd recommend them in this circumstance. They are definitely good books and Anne's "scrapes" can be quite funny, but very sad things do happen as well.
sqdancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2014, 12:59 PM   #12
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe
dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.dandelioncottage ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

You're right; Anne might be too sad right now. Thanks for catching that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqdancer View Post
I don't know that I'd recommend them in this circumstance. They are definitely good books and Anne's "scrapes" can be quite funny, but very sad things do happen as well.
Old 05-27-2014, 10:11 AM   #13
Rbneader
Fanatic
Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Rbneader ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: None
Georgette Heyer's Regency novels got me through some very rough months last year. They are laugh-out-loud silliness and everything ends well. Sometimes there are injuries but people always heal up.

I especially like Cotillion, The Unknown Ajax and The Grand Sophy. Sprig Muslin is also hilarious. The Reluctant Widow might be dicey (it can be tense and features a murder). Avoid Cousin Kate (great, but a horror novel), A Civil Contract and Penhallow.
Rbneader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2014, 10:27 AM   #14
dandelioncottage
Abibliophobe

I second the vote for Cotillion, and also recommend Arabella.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rbneader View Post
Georgette Heyer's Regency novels got me through some very rough months last year. They are laugh-out-loud silliness and everything ends well. Sometimes there are injuries but people always heal up.

I especially like Cotillion, The Unknown Ajax and The Grand Sophy. Sprig Muslin is also hilarious. The Reluctant Widow might be dicey (it can be tense and features a murder). Avoid Cousin Kate (great, but a horror novel), A Civil Contract and Penhallow.
Old 05-27-2014, 08:14 PM   #15
carpetmojo
Wizard
carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.carpetmojo ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony- T3, PRS650, 350, T1/2/3, Paperwhite, Fire 8.9,Samsung Tab S 10.5
Quote:
Originally Posted by cadele View Post
Oh, I hope your kitties come home soon!
If you are thinking of Wodehouse, perhaps Three Men in a Boat by Jerome K. Jerome might be good. I am fairly sure it is available on Gutenberg.
One of my comfort reads is Wind in the Willows (perhaps it is the boats!).
Absolutely, Wind in the Willows ! If there was ever a must ......

And, the Jerome is Gutenburg'd, as is Three Men on the Bummel - a sort of sequel to 3 in a Boat - both wonderful reads.
Also have a look at Sommerville and Ross, and The Resident Magistrate series, also on Gutenburg. Once you get into these they are captivating - all of their time, but hilarious.

Hope you find them diverting.
carpetmojo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
comforting books, recommendations