Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book General > News

Notices

Old 10-15-2010, 01:15 PM   #1
=X=
Wizard
=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.=X= ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Galaxy S, Nook w/CM7
Kindle Preloaded on All Verizon Devices

Well I know many folks don't care to read on their phones as well as many others who do. But regardless of people's preference of reading on their phone or not, I think we all can agree this is pretty big news.

While I much prefer to read on my Kindle reading on the phone is not bad and works great for getting some reading time before bed. Seeing as the Kindle does not have a built in light.

Anyhow enough of that here is the press release.

Quote:
Verizon and Amazon today announce that Amazon’s Kindle app for Android will come preloaded on all of Verizon’s future Android handsets. I haven’t taken a good look at the application myself (I’m not a big fan of digital books.) but Amazon’s ridiculously extensive catalog of titles available should please the eBook fan who isn’t too big on Amazon’s actual Kindle eReader. (click for more...)
=X= is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 01:27 PM   #2
HistoryWes
Teacher/Novelist
HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.HistoryWes ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Nook STR, iPad
Regardless of what one thinks of Kindle or Amazon, there is no questioning their business acumen.
HistoryWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 02:40 PM   #3
JaneD
Addict
JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.JaneD ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle Paperwhite 2013
Quote:
Originally Posted by HistoryWes View Post
Regardless of what one thinks of Kindle or Amazon, there is no questioning their business acumen.
That's for sure. Reel in the fishes with pre-loaded bait, Amazon!
JaneD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
sbtx99
Zealot
sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.sbtx99 once ate a cherry pie in a record 7 seconds.

Device: Kindle 3 Wifi; Red PRS-650; iPod Touch; Android phone
It's great for those of us who would use the Kindle app, but it has also led to some 1-star reviews in the Android market from people who are upset because they can't remove the app from their phone.

Despite that, I think it was a smart move.... From Amazon's perspective, the ones complaining about it probably weren't potential customers anyway. But by having it as a core app, they catch the attention of potential ebook customers right out of the box.
sbtx99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2010, 09:45 PM   #5
Ravensknight
Serpent Rider
Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Ravensknight ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Sony 350; Nook STR; Oasis
slick move! Amazon seems to be making many right moves when it comes to the business side of things.
Ravensknight is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 05:17 AM   #6
Kumabjorn
Basculocolpic
Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Kumabjorn ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3 WiFi, Kindle 4SO, Kindle for Android, Sony PRS-350 and PRS-T1
What will be there next move? Your first book purchase for free? Liked it? Want some more? Reminds me of my friendly neighborhood dope peddler. No question about its effectiveness. Bet he people at B&N are banging their heads.
Kumabjorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 06:41 AM   #7
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Cybooks; Sony PRS-T1
Remember me why i buy my phone "alone".
I don't like operators forcing stuff on us. If I want amazon app, I can install it with a few clics on the market. Especially if you can't remove it.

Amazon

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-17-2010 at 06:44 AM.
EowynCarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 07:19 AM   #8
Pushka
Wizard
Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Pushka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle, Ipad, Iphone, Nexus and PPW
We bought a laptop a few weeks ago that came preloaded with the kindle app.
Pushka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:14 AM   #9
kalex
Zealot
kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.kalex could sell banana peel slippers to a Deveel.

Device: sony
Verizon will install anything on their phones as long as they are making money. They are replacing google with bing on some of their android phones simply because microsoft is paying them for it.

I don't want my phone to have crapware loaded by my phone company. I want to load it myself. If I use kindle, I would download the app and install it. I don't use kindle and since preloaded apps are not removable I would be pretty pissed off for having on my new phone.
kalex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 11:46 AM   #10
tubemonkey
monkey on the fringe
tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.tubemonkey ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Moto E6, Echo Show
I'll be glad when books, music, videos, and gaming systems all use the same content formats within their respective groups; and cell phones all use the same standard.

These industries are all behind the times.
tubemonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:48 PM   #11
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's possible to remove preloaded apps but it requires rooting your Android phone. Smart move by Amazon because with the Kindle app I can leave my K3 at home and just read off my phone when on the go and the best part is that my Amazon books are synced between devices.

I hate crapware as much as anyone else but not enough to muck around with my phone.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 04:56 PM   #12
Steven Lyle Jordan
Grand Sorcerer
Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.Steven Lyle Jordan ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: none
A shame Verizon is removing Windows-based phones from its lineup (on the other hand, Amazon never came up with a Kindle reader for Windows-based phones and PDAs... scurvy bastards...)
Steven Lyle Jordan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 03:18 AM   #13
EowynCarter
Wizard
EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.EowynCarter ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TallMomof2 View Post
It's possible to remove preloaded apps but it requires rooting your Android phone. Smart move by Amazon because with the Kindle app I can leave my K3 at home and just read off my phone when on the go and the best part is that my Amazon books are synced between devices.

I hate crapware as much as anyone else but not enough to muck around with my phone.
Well, I vote with my wallet, getting the phone outside of the operator.
I don't want crapware, simlock, and all that.

One of the first hack to htc tattoo was the "how to get rid of crappy orange rom to get back to the standard HTC one".
That's also why my pc are from dell. No much crapware there. And they provide a windows CD to get a clean install.

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-18-2010 at 03:21 AM.
Old 10-18-2010, 08:32 AM   #14
TallMomof2
Kindlephilia
TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.TallMomof2 ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Too many to count
It's not possible with Verizon, no SIM card. You must buy a Verizon compatible phone. Why do I stick with Verizon? By far the best coverage and signal strength and every time I try to switch they entice me to stay with better prices than the competition. Like I said, I could root the Droid but, for me, it's just as easy to ignore the apps I'll never use.

I build all my PCs (except for laptops) so no crap/bloatware. BTW, my last manufactured PC was a Dell and that's what drove me to build my own.
TallMomof2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:20 AM   #15
EowynCarter
Wizard

Quote:
It's not possible with Verizon, no SIM card. You must buy a Verizon compatible phone. Why do I stick with Verizon? By far the best coverage and signal strength and every time I try to switch they entice me to stay with better prices than the competition. Like I said, I could root the Droid but, for me, it's just as easy to ignore the apps I'll never use.
Mmm, no sim card ? How does it work then ?

I don't know Verizon , I don't live in the US, but i chose my current operator because it was one of the few proposing plan without phone.

Quote:
I build all my PCs (except for laptops) so no crap/bloatware. BTW, my last manufactured PC was a Dell and that's what drove me to build my own.
Ah ? What happened ?
Of course you can build your PC. But it's some work. Dell provide me with everything I need (pc, windows CD), won't pester me for installing linux, all that.
And for laptop, no DIY

Last edited by EowynCarter; 10-18-2010 at 10:26 AM.