Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Developer's Corner

Notices

Old 10-07-2010, 01:58 PM   #1
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Device: Kobo Aura One, KPW, K3, K2i, K2US
K3 - change default google search - Readability & bookmarklets

Now that i'm able to ssh to my new K3, i'm interested in changing the default google search to the mobile version like it is on the K2...

Could anybody point me in the right direction here? Anybody know which file this setting is defined in?

thanks!

Last edited by jetfin; 10-25-2010 at 11:33 AM. Reason: additions to thread title
jetfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
enn
enn began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3, Kindle Voyage
The contents of /opt/amaozn/ebook/prefs/search_prefs:

Code:
SearchGoogleURL = http://www.google.com/search?q={searchTerm}M
SearchWikipediaURL = http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki?search={searchTerm}
I haven't tried changing it. I suspect there is a cleaner way to override these prefs in /mnt/us/system as is done with the reader prefs but I haven't tried that either.
enn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 05:18 PM   #3
jetfin
Enthusiast
jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.jetfin has a complete set of Star Wars action figures.

Thanks!

I changed both google and wikipedia to:

Code:
SearchGoogleURL = http://www.google.com/m/search?q={searchTerm}M
SearchWikipediaURL = http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki?search={searchTerm}
Restarted and works!
Old 10-13-2010, 05:37 AM   #4
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Device: Kindle 3 - 3G
Thanks for the post. I finally got SSH working to my Kindle 3 and can open the file in WinSCP but I can't save it back to the Kindle. I'm logged in as root. Any ideas?
Polvo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:54 AM   #5
fheusel
fheusel began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Polvo View Post
Thanks for the post. I finally got SSH working to my Kindle 3 and can open the file in WinSCP but I can't save it back to the Kindle. I'm logged in as root. Any ideas?
You have to mount the root-fs writeable via ssh (use Putty and read the login-message of your kindle).
fheusel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 06:20 AM   #6
Polvo
Enthusiast
Polvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshesPolvo can read faster than his screen refreshes

Thanks. In WinSCP I missed the login screen!

I found the solution: typing mntroot rw to make filesystem writeable
Old 10-13-2010, 03:53 PM   #7
NiLuJe
BLAM!
NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.NiLuJe ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 2i, 3g, 4, 5w, PW, PW2, PW5; Kobo H2O, Forma, Elipsa, Sage, C2E
Just in case it wasn't obvious for everyone:

Don't forget to put it back in a read only state after:

mntroot ro
NiLuJe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 12:41 PM   #8
jetfin
Enthusiast

Just a quick update:

Although this hack does what was most important to me (changing default google and wikipedia searches *from* the home screen), when the web browser is running and you do a search through the URL text box, both google and wikipedia go to the regular website...

This means there must be another separate browser setting for this somewhere...
Old 10-15-2010, 03:13 PM   #9
Polvo
Enthusiast

I've been looking through the dirs and there are some interesting browser settings but I still can't find where the search and Wikipedia URLs are set.

I did discover that the Article Mode is just a JavaScript file which could be altered to bring bookmarklets to the Kindle. There are also a number of (disabled) experimental settings such as setting a home URL which should display when the Home button is pressed. There's another one that shows a modified pointer when not over a text input box etc. Pressing the 5 way changes the pointer to a 4 way arrow on 1st pressing then a double arrow with two ting magnifying glasses marked "+" and "-". Sadly they didn't do anything that I could see.

Take a look at the file, its at /opt/amazon/ebook/config/wrs.ini (heavily commented)

The Javascript for Article mode is in /usr/share/browser/readability/readability_min_utf16.js

PS I also found that wget is installed and works (via wifi anyway).
Old 10-15-2010, 05:02 PM   #10
Tiersten
Guru
Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.Tiersten shines like a glazed doughnut.

Device: Kindle 3G+WiFi
Quote:
I did discover that the Article Mode is just a JavaScript file which could be altered to bring bookmarklets to the Kindle.
Its a modified version of the Readability tool. Apple integrated the same script into Safari.

Quote:
PS I also found that wget is installed and works (via wifi anyway).
The Kindle scripts use it.
Tiersten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2010, 06:14 AM   #11
Polvo
Enthusiast

Is there a better version of the Readability script available for the Kindle? I'd prefer that thescriptt always made an attempt to display a page instead of giving a warning message.

My JavaScript skills are limited, how can the standard Readability bookmarklet be adapted?
Old 10-18-2010, 05:49 AM   #12
neftaly
neftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with others

Device: none
Here's Readability 1.71, minus all branding and set to always attempt to display homepages.
I also made it remove link targets (i.e, fark.com is now usable).
http://kindlebru.com/apps/readabilitymod-0.1.zip

Last edited by neftaly; 10-18-2010 at 08:23 AM. Reason: Added a K3 installer
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 10:40 AM   #13
Polvo
Enthusiast

Good work! I'll try it out later.

Any ideas about using the readability js file as some kind of bookmarklet manager?
Old 10-19-2010, 07:31 PM   #14
neftaly
neftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with othersneftaly plays well with others

Device: none
Quote:
Good work! I'll try it out later.

Any ideas about using the readability js file as some kind of bookmarklet manager?
I've actually been working on that for the last few hours (have written a sort of web app loader around it). I'll put a link up when I finish the download manager
neftaly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 03:18 AM   #15
Polvo
Enthusiast

Sounds great, I can't wait to bring some power to the browser!