Register Guidelines E-Books Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Software > Calibre

Notices

Old 10-10-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
ccarree
ccarree began at the beginning.

Device: Kindle DX
Is is possible to download to a K3 a calibre library created for a DX?

Hi,

I have a USDX and, since I am outside the Whispernet network, I have downloaded all my kindle purchases (approx. 450) to my computer (a Mac), and then into calibre where the metadata was manipulated to my satisfaction. I then "added" the titles to my DX as they were acquired. Up to this point, everything worked fine. Calibre is a great program and, while I am sure there are functions of which I am unaware, it more than suits my current needs.

Now my question: I recently bought a Kindle 3 (for greater portability when I am out) and assumed it would be a simple matter to connect my K3 to my computer and add my entire calibre library to it. Everything seemed to work fine — calibre indicated when all the books had been added; however, when I tried to open them on the K3, I got the message:

"This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived Items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

Both my kindles are registered to the same account so did not understand this advisory. I then went into the Welcome Wizard in calibre's "Preferences" and changed my "device" from DX to K3 and re-added my collection from calibre. When all my titles were listed as being on "Main" device, I tried to open a few of them on my K3 but, once again, I got the "This item cannot be opened" message.

I cannot imagine that it is not possible to use one calibre library on two different kindles on the same account, and so would someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. I am not very computer literate, although the extent of my knowledge has enabled me to manage to download and use calibre.

Any assistance on this would be greatly appreciated.

PS: Another query: what is the easiest way to get my calibre library from my desktop (its "home") to my laptop for use on my kindle app? Could I download the file onto a flash drive and copy it that way, or is there a way to use MobileMe? Have tried the latter and it did not work, but perhaps (most likely!) I was doing it incorrectly.
ccarree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:33 PM   #2
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
This originates with Amazon's Kindle books rather than Calibre. You must download each Kindle book that has a DRM for that specific device. Non-drm'd books will work fine.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 09:36 PM   #3
DoctorOhh
US Navy, Retired
DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.DoctorOhh ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Icarus Illumina XL HD, Nexus 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by ccarree View Post
"This item cannot be opened because it is licensed to a different user. Delete the item and download it from your Archived Items or purchase a copy from the Kindle Store."

Both my kindles are registered to the same account so did not understand this advisory.
This is not a calibre problem, this is a Kindle DRM problem. You might want to discuss this on a Kindle forum and ask why books you bought for your DX can't be read on the Kindle3 even though they are both registered to the same account.

Quote:
I then went into the Welcome Wizard in calibre's "Preferences" and changed my "device" from DX to K3 and re-added my collection from calibre. When all my titles were listed as being on "Main" device, I tried to open a few of them on my K3 but, once again, I got the "This item cannot be opened" message.
Calibre can send them all day long but you have to contact Amazon to findout why they can't be read.

Quote:
PS: Another query: what is the easiest way to get my calibre library from my desktop (its "home") to my laptop for use on my kindle app? Could I download the file onto a flash drive and copy it that way
Copying the files over via flash drive should work fine.
DoctorOhh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 09:48 PM   #4
desertgrandma
Enjoying the show....
desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.desertgrandma ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: A K1, Kindle Paperwhite, an Ipod, IPad2, Iphone, an Ipad Mini & macAir
Quote:
Hi,

PS: Another query: what is the easiest way to get my calibre library from my desktop (its "home") to my laptop for use on my kindle app? Could I download the file onto a flash drive and copy it that way, or is there a way to use MobileMe? Have tried the latter and it did not work, but perhaps (most likely!) I was doing it incorrectly.
I just finished using my flashdrive to copy my library from my laptop and then paste it on my netbook.

Worked perfectly.
desertgrandma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2010, 10:48 PM   #5
ccarree

Smile

Thanks to you who responded — and so quickly too. Have tried a trial sample of 10 books which I sent specifically to my K3 from Manage Your Kindle. I then connected my K3 to my computer and added the books via calibre (with K3 selected as my device in Welcome Wizard). Worked like a charm!! It would appear that now all I have to do is perform the same operation with my remaining 440 books!! It will be a laborious task but, thankfully, not a mentally taxing one. Luckily tomorrow is a holiday (Cdn Thanksgiving) so shall just concentrate for an hour or so and it will be done.

Thanks again for your help.
Advert
Old 10-10-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
pghaworth
Fervent Pleasure Seeker
pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.pghaworth ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Clara HD
You can send them to your computer first - Amazon will ask you for which device - and then send them to your Kindle when you're ready. Unfortunately, the 440 thing remains the same. Also, sometimes when you download to computer first you don't get the same info that goes to your Kindle, but since you already have that data in Calibre you can copy it over to the new books that it's missing in.
pghaworth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 02:57 PM   #7
ccarree

Thanks for your suggestion, pghaworth. As I mentioned in my original post, since I am outside the whispernet network, I have downloaded all my amazon purchases onto my computer for transference to my DX — via calibre wherein I changed the metadata to my preferences (such as adding a #_ to the title so I could tell at a glance the order in which a series of books was written; and to correct for those books alphabetized by first, rather than last, name). Your first response triggered a vague recollection I had picked up on the kindle discussion forum regarding the necessity of downloading each purchase to a specific device. To this end I spent quite some time this morning in "Manage Your Kindle" sending all 440 books specifically to my Kindle 3 (which, being new, is equipped with International Wireless). All the books arrived "safely" and I thought my problems were over.

I then made sure "kindle 3" was selected as my calibre device and then connected my K3. I highlighted all the titles which calibre indicated were not yet on the my K3 and then hit "send to device" — which is EXACTLY the same procedure I use when downloading to my DX, and I have is no difficulty in transferring these "improved" metadata to this kindle.

After I sent all my books specifically to my K3 via whispernet, I now have two versions of those books for which I changed the metadata on calibre. For example, the e-book title of a mystery by Lee Harris is "Murder in Greenwich Village: A Manhattan Mystery," which I changed via calibre to "Murder in Greenwich Village (#3). Also I corrected the metadata so a book by Alexa Adams would be listed under "Adams," rather than "Alexa." These corrections have all been successfully transferred from calibre to my DX but, for some inexplicable reason, I am unable to do so with my K3.

I have tried all the options I can think of to "make it right" but, alas, to no avail. Guess my next step is to pose the same question on the kindle forum. Perhaps someone there has had the same problem and found a solution they would share with me. It seems a minor thing to get my knickers all in a twist about, but being thwarted like this just activates my OCD genes and makes me more determined to resolve this molehill I have made into a mountain!
Old 10-11-2010, 03:20 PM   #8
wallcraft
reader
wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.wallcraft ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kindle 3, Kobo Glo HD
This isn't going to help for your existing Calibre ebooks, but in the future the optimal method might be to download using K4PC and then import into Calibre using the DRM-stripping plugin. You can likely do this for all your existing purchases (there is typically a 6 device at a time limit per ebook). The resulting DRM-free MOBI will work on both your Kindles, and you can update the metadata once.

Apprentice Alf's Blog is a good place to read about DRM stripping techniques.

The legality of stripping DRM in some countries is unclear. However, as a practical matter no one has ever suffered legal consequences due to stripping DRM for personal use only (e.g. to edit metadata once, rather than once per device).
wallcraft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 03:31 PM   #9
ccarree

Thanks for your reply, wallcraft. Your suggestion appears to be above my level of competence (!) but, if I do not get a workable response from the kindle forum, I shall try your methodology.
Old 10-12-2010, 11:45 PM   #10
ccarree

An update: have solved my problem mostly by trial and error but, admittedly, some help from kind folks on the kindle forum. One of the suggestions was to "switch/create library"; however, I could not get that to work. Finally had a eureka moment and created another folder on my hard drive entitled "calibre library K3" to which I copied all my titles, and I then "added" them to the new calibre library. Now all that remains to be done is to manipulate the metadata as I have done with the titles on my DX and then send them to my K3.
Old 10-19-2010, 07:39 AM   #11
crossi
Guru
crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.crossi ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: kindle
Download the K3 book to your computer. Select the book with edited metadata in Calibre. Edit Metadata. In the Available Formats box at the top right select the format in the box (a book icon) and Remove the selected format (recyle icon). Add New Format (red book with +) and point it to your downloaded K3 book. Click OK. Then send that book to your K3. Your K3 will now have a readable book with your edited metadata.
crossi is offline   Reply With Quote