Register Guidelines E-Books Today's Posts Search

Go Back   MobileRead Forums > E-Book Readers > Amazon Kindle > Kindle Fire

Notices

Old 05-29-2015, 03:18 AM   #1
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Fire "front-end" on a standard Android tablet?

My wife surprised me -- she likes the Fire's front-end better than a standard Android. When we upgraded her Sprint Note, the salesman kept trying to talk me into getting an LG G Pad 7" tablet (they gave us half payments plus a small amount of free 4G data) -- and finally my wife said, "Yeah, go ahead and get it." Well, it's basically been sitting for the last two weeks (I think we've had it too long to send it back) and I asked my wife if she even liked it. It turns out that she would rather it worked like my Fire HD 6.

So, to finally get to the point, is there any "front-end" for a standard Android tablet that would make it look and act more like an Amazon Fire? I'm guessing not, but figured I should ask anyhow. I'll probably just find her a Fire 7 HD (she liked my 6 but it was too small) and keep the LG for when we travel (or double check to see if we can send it back). I really didn't want to get the LG anyhow, but felt kind of sorry for the salesman -- I was laughing by the end of the spiel (reminded me of those old late-night TV ads, "Wait, there's more!").
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2015, 05:29 AM   #2
mbovenka
Wizard
mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.mbovenka ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: Kobo Sage
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcentros View Post
So, to finally get to the point, is there any "front-end" for a standard Android tablet that would make it look and act more like an Amazon Fire?
Well, it's a bit more involved than installing an alternative launcher from the Play Store, but there is this: https://gigaom.com/2011/11/21/so-i-t...a-kindle-fire/
mbovenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Advert
Old 05-30-2015, 03:50 AM   #3
rcentros
eReader Wrangler
rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.rcentros ought to be getting tired of karma fortunes by now.

Device: PB HD3, GL3, Tolino Vision 4, Voyage, Clara HD
Quote:
Originally Posted by mbovenka View Post
Well, it's a bit more involved than installing an alternative launcher from the Play Store, but there is this: https://gigaom.com/2011/11/21/so-i-t...a-kindle-fire/
Thanks. This was what I was looking for -- except with the more modern Fire UI. I'm guessing there's not much call for this.
rcentros is offline   Reply With Quote